Got any questions for Joe Abercrombie?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I've never understood why people care about what happens after you die. I've told my wife she can hang me upside down in women's clothes in the town square when I'm dead.
Maybe he doesn't care about his body either, but he sure cares about his magnum opus. I get that.

sopranosfan

Journeyed there and back again
Maybe he doesn't care about his body either, but he sure cares about his magnum opus. I get that.
I don't get it. Once I'm dead it's over. Under any belief system I either have more important things to worry about or nothing to worry about. Besides if he cared that much he could, oh I don't know, write a little faster. And I don't know if he has family or not but if he does I believe money for them should be more important.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I don't get it. Once I'm dead it's over. Under any belief system I either have more important things to worry about or nothing to worry about. Besides if he cared that much he could, oh I don't know, write a little faster. And I don't know if he has family or not but if he does I believe money for them should be more important.
Well think of it this way. Would Leonardo Da Vinci allow for Mona Lisa to be worked on after his death? And believe me it can be worked on. There's no such thing as perfect painting. It's probably that kind of a thing.
I'm not saying GRRM is Da Vinci....far from that! But, same principle applies imo. Call it artist's vanity if you must.

As for the money, Im sure he has enough for two lifetimes. His family is probably covered.

ofer

Is he ever going to try his hand at science fiction? [Threaten him if you have to, but make him say yes.] Or a non-speculative novel - if not contemporary, than maybe something historical in nature?
I asked a similar question earlier. Here is what he said a few years ago on the subject:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/oaxpd/i_am_fantasy_author_joe_abercrombie_ask_me/c3ftpqy
5. Whoch author's books do you like to read the most?
I swear I saw a list of a few of his recommendations a few years ago. Searched all over the net and no luck. It's there somewhere - or maybe I'm thinking of Steven Erikson's recs. One of them for sure. Or at least a list of one of the modern authors in the top 25 list. OK, I'm done being helpful. ;)

@Danica I found a Q&A he did on Reddit 2 years ago. It might help you with possible questions (or possible questions to avoid):
http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/14e1vu/im_joe_abercrombie_ask_me_anything_2012/?limit=500

sopranosfan

Maybe he doesn't care about his body either.
He obviously doesn't care about his body.;)
Now that's a seriously disturbing image I'll do my best to try not to think about. Especially before I'm going to sleep. ;)
Good luck with that. But I plan on sending you some selfies in women's clothing soon but I'll have to act dead and I'm not going to hang upside down but you can use your imagination.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I remember reading that you like Laphroaig. I find Laphroaig tastes like what I imagine licking the floor in an operating room would taste like. What sort of scotches would you recommend for a warm climate that don't taste like a surgeon took a shit in a bottle?

Edit: You will need to have someone take a video of you asking this question and his response.

João Ribeiro

I truly hope it turns out as funny as this one
WARNING: Slight spoilers for Half a King if you haven't read it.

João Ribeiro

Looks like Littlefinger interviewing Abercrombie :D
I found the bully act quite funny. So that's the equivalent of Littlefinger being pushed around as well.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
oh he is really cute in real life, I thought it was just his model like photos, and that accent. Great i'll be dealing with fangirl and goey crush syndrome, it'll be amazing if i can even talk. He has huge muscles! what a tank.

Also now i'm totally nervous, he must be bored by all the interviews we need more funny questions!