Got super happy news about my life(fantasy novel related)

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by MorteTorment, Jun 29, 2017.

1. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Reluctantly made a Warden of the White Council

First of all, hey everyone, how's it going? I'm back again. Just so you know, I'm still reading stuff, like 1-2 books a month. I just haven't been talking about it. Once again, I'm gonna try to stick around for a bit so I can still discuss stuff.

Let's see, what big updates canI give you all?

I no longer time myself with how fast I read books, and have learned to (sorta) multi-task with reading and doing something online. It's made me very happy, and I'm enjoy books now more than ever.

Anyways, this is the happy news:

As of a few months ago I joined a book club. As of the last meetup, I convinced everyone that we should read my favorite book again. I'll let you all guess what it is. Here's a hint: I've said that it's my favorite book a lot, and I imagine that Thom is gonna be the one to guess it. Here's a bigger hint: it's about an assassin, and it's the first of a trilogy.

Looking forward to talking to you all again :D

• Like Like x 2
  2. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Welcome back! Is it Code Aldera or something like that?

3. MorteTorment

Codex Alora is a trilogy? And the main is an assasian?

4. Davis Ashura

Davis Ashura Got in a fistfight with Dresden

I'm guessing Night Angel by Brent Weeks.

5. MorteTorment

How did you know? Was it because I mentioned it after I posted this topic? :p

And yeah, it's a series I love for so many reasons. The oh so subtle magic that assassins have. The fact that the world building doesn't start until AFTER you care about the book. How emotional the characters make me feel.

BTW, how's it going? Not sure if I've met you before today.

6. Davis Ashura

It was just a lucky guess, and it might be the only assassin series I know of that's a trilogy. Guess I should read more. :) And I don't think we've met before. I tend to lurk around various fantasy forums, but I don't post very often.

7. MorteTorment

Oh? can you recommend some other good forums?

8. Davis Ashura

SFFWorld can get pretty deep in their commentary. There are a lot of people there who have a very broad and deep knowledge of the fantasy genre's history. That said, the posting can be pretty sporadic. There's also r/fantasy (reddit), which is also a fabulous place full of newbies and long time denizens. It's so neat seeing threads devoted to someone's first reading of Wheel of Time or Malazan or even David Eddings. The place is pretty busy with new threads seemingly every hour.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. MorteTorment

Aw yeah! thanks man, I appreciate it!

10. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

My thought was also Night Angel or Farseer.

So, are you done with the trilogy already (if I remember correctly about your reading speed) :) ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. MorteTorment

Hehe, Tom, is that you? :p

Seriously, where is his awesome self?

Anyways, first of all, finished the trilogoy on my own a few months or so after I joined this lovely community.

We read 4 chapters a week with the book group. Not everyone is as fast as me.