Gunlaw

wakarimasen

Journeyed there and back again
Self publishing done right? Might be. Sort of.
Mark Lawrence - of Broken Empire and Red Queens War fame - is just knocking out a little Western/Fantasy hybrid for free over on wattpad (as you do... or certainly as you should) . I am intrigued and thought I might give it a go soon... has anyone else tried it?

https://www.wattpad.com/story/43453733-gunlaw

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Self publishing done right? Might be. Sort of.
Mark Lawrence - of Broken Empire and Red Queens War fame - is just knocking out a little Western/Fantasy hybrid for free over on wattpad (as you do... or certainly as you should) . I am intrigued and thought I might give it a go soon... has anyone else tried it?

https://www.wattpad.com/story/43453733-gunlaw
I read the blurb and must say it sounds awfully similar to the Dark Tower. A fantasy book with influences from the Western genre. A gunslinger as protagonist. Mention of a train that runs farther than anyone ever imagined (Blaine the Mono anyone?).

Despite this, I'm intrigued. I've got too many books still waiting on me on my TBR pile. If you're going to try it, please let me know what your conclusions are.

wakarimasen

not read Dark Tower, so won't be bothered by any similarity there. Most westerns have trains and gunslingers in though. I'd wager there is a greedy landowner and a spirited harlot in there too...

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
not read Dark Tower, so won't be bothered by any similarity there. Most westerns have trains and gunslingers in though. I'd wager there is a greedy landowner and a spirited harlot in there too...
I stand in awe of your deductive abilities. Those are my two favorite characters in the Dark Tower!

But all jokes aside, you are right of course. It's just like that Southpark episode "the Simpsons did it". The creators of Southpark were criticized for copying certain story-lines from the Simpsons. The problem is that the Simpsons has run for 15+ seasons and at a certain point every topic imaginable has already broached.

The same applies to books. And movies for that matter. The older I get, the more difficult it is to surprise me. I've seen every trope a hundred times already. Have you ever watched the Sixth Sense? Or Shutter Island? Inception? Those movies blew my mind, because I was surprised by the clever twist at the end. The fantasy books I like best also have that surprise twist somewhere. Or a novelty I've never seen before. Come to think of it, this may be the reason why I didn't particularly like the Kingkiller Chronicles. It was just not surprising to me. I had seen it all before.

Wow, this has turned into quite a rant. Hope you get what I mean though.

wakarimasen

Just noticed Lawrence saying this was in it's final stretch and that it probably wouldn't be up for too long once it was done... may shuffle it to the front of the queue... if I only had some sort of electronic reading device on which to read it during my train commute... ;):D