Half The World by Joe Abercrombie

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
A solid 9. While there is nothing new or big wow moments (a minor one near the end), I thought Abercrombie did really well. His characters were fleshed out slowly, and surely, they became great characters unique to their own. World building still needs work though.

João Ribeiro

Journeyed there and back again
World building still needs work though.
Maybe he's saving it for Half a War. He kind of hinted at the world being post-apocaliptic in Half a King so maybe it turns out to be important by the end. Of course I'm speculating since I haven't read Half a World (soon, soooon) so I'm just going by gut instinct here.

Anyway good to know you score it a 9. It's a must read then... not that there were many doubts.

Griffin

I give Half the World a 7, but only because Abercrombie created yet again great characters, although I had to warm to them. Plotwise I was let down somewhat and some things were just convenient. I'm surprised you gave it 'a solid 9' @Jon Snow, seems a bit high for me.

Last edited:

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
I gave it high because I do like the characters. I thought the love story was believable and funny. The way the ending set was predictable but it was comical. I don't think things were convenient, I think Abercrombie had set up enough to warrant what he did.

Griffin

I didn't really bother me it was convenient. Abercrombie is a master craftsman. It IS a good book, but only his characterisation excelled, hence the 7. I'm curious what the others think, c'mon people, start reading this :bookworm:

João Ribeiro

I give it an 8.5. I tend to reserve the 9 - 10 for Sanderson books that completely blow me away. I'm really loving the series but with only one book left to go I think we could have delved more into the elves mythology of things hence the really good but not off the charts good.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
As I've posted before, Abercrombie + YA sounds like a cruel joke played on unsuspecting young kids, but lets be honest, kids are no longer unsuspecting and Abercrombie has managed to nail this book.

Great characters, a nice story which centres amongs some unusual camaraderie and some really gritty and laugh out loud moments.

My only qualm is that other YA novels are rarely like this, they could really use the spine.

Ser Pounce

I give Half the World an 8. It was another strong book but I think I enjoyed Half a King more. Thorn could be a bit annoying but I liked Brand as a character and the relationship with his sister Rin. The continuing growth of Yari and Ralf was well done, too. We'll see how it plays out in the end but from what I've seen in this series is that I'm in for a real treat when I begin The First Law trilogy and standalones. The characters come to life in an enjoyable way to read and it's been a fun introduction to Joe Abercrombie.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
8.5/10 loved it!!! i thought the new characters were great and Abercrombie was able to build up that sense of urgency and intrigue. I thought it was a great book.

Bethan

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
I loved this one. Personally, It's not a big deal for me if his world could do with more fleshing out as his characters are excellent. I find different authors have their different strengths; Erikson would definitely be worlds and cultures, worlds and plot for Sanderson, and certainly characters for Abercrombie!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
8.5 for me.

Characterisation was spot on, they were all fantastic. The relationships were great, particularly Brand and Thorn - I was so pleased when they finally got together; but also Brand / Rin, Skifr / Thorn.

Yarvi's development seemed to me to be a bit too much since Half a King - he's gone from a just a fairly timid boy, to a conniving wise man in what seems a relatively short time span. Only a minor gripe though. I also felt the boat journey took up a bit too much of the book. Hence my score, and not a 9 like I would've given Half a King.

Really looking forward to the last instalment!

Gawain

Hung out on a briar with Honorable Jorg
A solid 9. While there is nothing new or big wow moments (a minor one near the end), I thought Abercrombie did really well. His characters were fleshed out slowly, and surely, they became great characters unique to their own. World building still needs work though.
I agree Jon Snow, a solid 9. I enjoyed it a lot.

-Gawain