Halflings with jewels for eyes save kingdom

Maark Abbott

Journeyed there and back again
Sableye and the Koopa Kids?

Khadaji29

Possibly a Darkfriend
Nope. That's not it. It's kind of a Tolkien-sequel story: battle against evil. Little guys aren't taken seriously but end up being the key to victory. Can't remember if it's a series or if it was an individual book.

Davis Ashura

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
It's The Iron Tower trilogy by Dennis McKiernan. The story goes that Mr. McKiernan was in a terrible auto or motorcycle accident and was laid up in the hospital back in prehistoric times. I think it was the late 70s. To pass the time, he read Lord of the Rings. He reacted to the trilogy as all right-thinking people should: he loved it (btw that's a joke so don't get mad at me). He wrote a sequel to Lord of the Rings, but the Tolkien estate said, 'Hell no!" Or something to that effect. So Mr, McKiernan had to create his own world of Mithgar, essentially rewrite Lord of the Rings, and THEN he could get to the sequel he'd all along intended. He's gone on to write 12 more books in his world of Mithgar.

Khadaji29

Possibly a Darkfriend
It's The Iron Tower trilogy by Dennis McKiernan. The story goes that Mr. McKiernan was in a terrible auto or motorcycle accident and was laid up in the hospital back in prehistoric times. I think it was the late 70s. To pass the time, he read Lord of the Rings. He reacted to the trilogy as all right-thinking people should: he loved it (btw that's a joke so don't get mad at me). He wrote a sequel to Lord of the Rings, but the Tolkien estate said, 'Hell no!" Or something to that effect. So Mr, McKiernan had to create his own world of Mithgar, essentially rewrite Lord of the Rings, and THEN he could get to the sequel he'd all along intended. He's gone on to write 12 more books in his world of Mithgar.
That's the one. Thanks much...and for the back story. I had no idea.