Hardbacks or paperbacks?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm more comfortable hoding a paperback than a hardback but I'll read anything.
I hear ya. When there's no book or phone around I happily read the back of shampoo bottles whilst doing number 2.

Anti_Quated

Journeyed there and back again
Gotta appreciate small comforts. Having multiple offspring tends to make one relish even the most absurd things. A quiet five minutes alone on the porcelain throne, contemplating one's kingdom and the heirs that will inherit it, or what the hell ammonium lauryl sulfate actually does, for instance.
Having a paperback handy can, and will, increase this brief intermission of tranquillity and relief.

Cyphon

Prefer the looks and durability of hardbacks but like paperbacks for travel and easier reading (from a physical standpoint). Price also comes into play. I won't turn down either though.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
or what the hell ammonium lauryl sulfate actually does, for instance.
It's responsible for lather/foaming in personal care products...

Amaryllis

I actually really hate hardbacks. I do absolutely nothing that is aided by their existence (and honestly, I can't think of anything that is aided by their existence...sneaking around old, abandoned mansions braining thieves, maybe?), I do not abuse my books enough that they require that level of armor and protection, and they're SO BIG. I don't even like the new paperbacks, which seem arbitrarily enlarged so that bookstores/publishers/whoever is responsible can pointlessly charge a few extra dollars for them. I like books that I can take places without looking conspicuous, and Daniel Abraham books for instance look really conspicuous. How are you supposed to easily carry one of these to read in waiting rooms or on the bus and such? Since fanny packs and the like may as well be illegal in the U.S. (and I'm not convinced it'd even fit in one anyway), it's like I have to dedicate my entire day to the book if I want to haul it around.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I actually really hate hardbacks. I do absolutely nothing that is aided by their existence (and honestly, I can't think of anything that is aided by their existence...sneaking around old, abandoned mansions braining thieves, maybe?), I do not abuse my books enough that they require that level of armor and protection, and they're SO BIG. I don't even like the new paperbacks, which seem arbitrarily enlarged so that bookstores/publishers/whoever is responsible can pointlessly charge a few extra dollars for them. I like books that I can take places without looking conspicuous, and Daniel Abraham books for instance look really conspicuous. How are you supposed to easily carry one of these to read in waiting rooms or on the bus and such? Since fanny packs and the like may as well be illegal in the U.S. (and I'm not convinced it'd even fit in one anyway), it's like I have to dedicate my entire day to the book if I want to haul it around.
I like books that fit in the pocket of my jacket. The Malazan and WoT paperbacks were perfect sized for this.

rajwible

Helped Logen count his fingers
Paperback, for sure. I've been made aware that I'm constantly moving the left side of the book in a wave-like motion, and I've realized that if I can't do that I get a little frustrated. Plus they are just nice and compact and can fit in my purse...usually. And they don't have those awful cover sleeves that end up getting slightly bent on the edges. That drives me nuts.

The only time I'll buy hardcover is for some sort of history, map, or specialty book. Or if there is something new by Elizabeth Haydon or Sara Douglass that I have to read right there and then. :)

kenubrion

Paperbacks, and used ones at that, since I read so much before the Kindle.

wakarimasen

paperbacks. I have a few hardbacks which I treasure as objects but in general they annoy me for reading.
Let's not forget: Penguin publishing made its fortune because it released paperback books exactly the right size to fit into the pocket of a WW2 soldiers uniform.
That kind of self reliant portability is still a bonus, even if most of us are lucky enough not to face such straits.

Belg

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
I love hardback books it all comes down to how well they look on my bookshelves... I am very particular how my books look in my study !

Annomander Matt

Drinks Elfbark tea with FitzChivalry
I prefer in order:
1. Larger Paperbacks - Best combination of readability, weight, and looking good on the shelf ;-)

2. Trade Paperbacks - Fits in the pocket, readable, cheap. Just like me!

3. E-Books - I love the convenience of having the books right at my fingertips whenever I get a little down time. I don't like being interrupted by calls/texts, and it's more difficult to find the maps or character lists (I realize some people prefer dedicated ereaders, but that's not how I roll lol). Generally II just read short stories and novellas in this format. I also always try to buy the book physically at some point for my shelves... Even though my shelves are a complete hodgepodge disaster lol)

4. Hardcover- As others have mentioned they are a little unwieldy and expensive, but man do they look good on the shelf. That and the fact that I like to pre-order the books right away to help the author's sales means that hardcovers are about more than just the media platform itself.

5. Audio - I am really not sure if I am having such a hard time because of the series I'm reading or the style of media consumption. For some reason dialogue annoys the heck out of me. It is also way easier to zone out and have to rewind, and more difficult to find time for it. Looking forward to my next book to see if anything changes.