Have you ever intentionally avoided reading a top 10 fantasy book? If so why?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by kenubrion, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

The Wheel of Time is an interesting one for me. I fell in love with the story, world, and characters. I never cared for the writing style. The biggest thing that made me power through the slow books was the fact that Brandon Sanderson finished it. Sanderson may not be a master of beautiful prose, but his style of storytelling is much more to my tastes than Jordan's style. In the last three books, I felt like I was reading the series as it always should have been (with a few flaws that are to be expected when a new writer takes over a series).

2. Cyphon

Cyphon Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Sometimes I feel like I am the only person who likes book 4. I have read the series twice (book 5 once) and in my mind books 2 and 4 are roughly the same. 1 and 3 have always been the 2 standouts. Of course on a third read that could easily change. And to be clear I don't mean standouts as in vastly better or anything, just that those 2 are def ranked higher for me than the other 2.

3. S. K. Inkslinger

S. K. Inkslinger Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon

Book 2 and 3 are certainly my favorites, packed with action and the clashing of major forces. The plot twist at the Red Wedding also spice up things quite nicely too. Book 4 seemed quite to stall a bit for me (and there's no Tyrion or Jon POV, so that's a thing), and book 5 does seemed too branching and distended in terms of plot. Personally, I prefer the direction the TV show is going with the plot, rather's than George R. R. Martin's layout post-book 5.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Cyphon

Cyphon Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I do want to go through it here soon but as you point out the Red Wedding, book one also had the major moments like Ned and such. I can't remember a specific moment from 2 that really stands out. That being said, I still really like 2 IIRC. So it is more a case of if books 1 and 3 were 10/10, 2 and 4 would be like 8's or 9's for me.

5. S. K. Inkslinger

True, the Ned moment was pretty shocking. ASOIF was one of my first serious fantasy novels, and I was pretty shocked at the death of a main character. I even search on the internet whether he'll make a return, but alas. From that moment on Martin had pretty much had all of us ready for anyone's death.

6. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I rather liked book 4. It's been a while since I've read the books, but book 2 for me has always been the odd one that I didn't enjoy as much. I can distinctly remember being annoyed at Brienne and her pointless meandering through the 7 kingdoms. A Feast for Crows, however, had some new PoVs I liked and it felt fresh after (what felt like) 'mid-series finale' at the end of book 3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Andrew.J

It's still unclear how it will pan out in the book series, as much as we know or can safely assume. The story threads seemed to be converging at the of A Dance with Dragons, so I think it's reasonable to expect an ending not too unsimilar to that of the Game of Thrones.

As much as I enjoy watching the TV show, it suffers from not having any written material to draw from, imo. The story has not only become more concise, but more simplistic as well. The dialogues in this and the previous seasons show that sometimes, characters like Little Finger seem to have no purpose at this point and new characters or areas not yet featured in the books have been horrible so far (see Dorne). The show has become a lot more epic, but with less substance.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. S. K. Inkslinger

That Aegon Targeyean storyline though... Reading through The Dance of Dragons, I constantly wondered on the reason George R. R. Martin would introduce an entirely new character this late in the books, and have him be the person who invaded Westeroes. It doesn't even make sense at that point, and quite frankly, does seemed more like a TV show's filler episodes, designed to lengthen the show just for length's sake. It doesn't make sense to have Daenerys wander around Meereen and the other slave cities for 5 books and deciding to settle there permanently.

9. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Reluctantly made a Warden of the White Council

Hmmm, lemme look through this list.

1. Game of Thrones: Well, I read this years ago due the hype and convinced myself that I like it, but if it has been intrdocued to me by this group I'd say no because it's literally about a game of thrones, and that couldn't possibly bore me. Pleas there's no magic.

2. The Name of the Wind: Sometimes I feel like I've learned nothing. Fell into the hype, and one page in I knew this wasn't for me.

3. The Blade Itself: Read a Joe Abercrombie book before and I had to skip most of the middle to tolerate it, so I'm obviously not mouthing this.

4. Lord of the Rings: I read the first and second book because I fell into the hype, if I was looking into them today I'd know that they're not for me because there's waaaaaaay too much world building!

5. the magicins: eh, could interesting, more open to it now that I'm open to more young adult.

6. Discworld: Tried reading a couple books. Each and every single joke flew over my head. I'm not just saying that I didn't find it funny, I flat out didn't realize when a joke was ever being told.

7. Gentelman Bastards: first book on the list that's on my to read list!

8. the Way of kings: Brandon Sanderson is heavy on world building, so of course not.

9. Assassin's Apprentice: Um...maybe? I don't know.

10. Gardens of The Moon: You guys gave me very good reasons why it's not for me.

11. American Gods: it's on my to-read list, but I don't see myself ever actually touching it.

12. A Wizard of Earthsea: WAAAAAAY too old.

13. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel: Juesus, It combines Tolkien and Jane Austin? Say no more, not interested.

14. The Black Company: I read about 2 pages. Learned how much I despise terse prose!

15. Heroes Die: FInally something that I can fully agree with. One of my personal faves! Probably second after Night Angel.

16. The Prince of Thorns: Read a bit of this knowing very little going in. Was in for a very painful surprise with really unlikable characters.

17. Under Heaven: nope, not into historical fiction.

18. City of Stairs: can't remember what it is, but I knew afer doing a very small amount of research that this wasn't for me.

19. The Night Watch: Skimmed the beinning of the first book. I don't know if it's a bad translation, but there's no way in hell that I could get immersed with the wierd writing style.

20. Fafhrd and the Gray Mouse: The title really turns me off, but other than that, no idea.

21. Black sun rising: no idea.

22. the Night Circus: Isn't this literally a kids book? Just no!

23. Legend: No idea

24. the Dark Tower: Got into the hype and gave the first book a shot. Way too slow for me then, but I might be up for it one day if I get hyped again.

25. the Dresden Files:Dear god does this deserve a higher slot!

So that's over 10 books in a top 25 list where if I had not read previously before seeing this list, I wouldn't give a fair shake because I'd know that they weren't for me. God I feel like the black sheep of this board.

10. Andrew.J

Daenerys remaining in Essos for 5 books makes sense if you take into consideration the fact that A Song of Ice and Fire was originally supposed to be and sold to the publishers as a trilogy. But, as the series grew from a trilogy to a pentalogy to a septology, there were more and more stories to tell and resolve before Westeros was ready (whatever this means) for Daenerys. As a result we have lots of meandering in Essos. I doubt conquering the slaver cities was ever in the original outline too. Daenerys is just kind of waiting till a necceseray plot point is reached.

I didn't have any problems with Young Griff. I sort of see him as an antithesis to Daenerys. Her claim depends on her being the last living Targaryen, but suddenly there's a claimant who's allegedly the son of Rhaegar, Daenerys' older brother. And unlike Daenerys people actually like him, he doesn't burn people and turn down alliances and most importantly, he is actually conquering Westeros. At the end of book 5, he has a valuable keep in Stormlands and is ready to attack Storm's End, he has House Martell as allies and is likely to have the support of Tyrells as well come Winds of Winter.

There's is, of course, a prophecy of a mummer's dragon, so it's possible that Aegon might be a fake planted by Varys, a Blackfyre fake too. All most likely leading to what many presume to be the 2nd Dance of Dragons (the first one was a civil war between Targaryens and what after the war became another branch of the house - Blackfyres. It marked the eventual demise of dragons, as most of them died during the conflicts).

11. S. K. Inkslinger

I guess... Personally, I'm still not a fan of extended plot points though, it's like those TV shows that kept on extending to the tenth season when there is no longer any plot points to play about (and despite the words of the ardent fans, it's still a thing that the characters kept doing the same chore they've been doing since season 1). I personally prefer books and shows that had been planned from the start to end, with distinct points and turns that have been well calculated, with an estimated pacing that had already been plotted out before. They does work for a more concise and intense experience.

Hmmh... now thinking about it I wonder if I'm going to enjoy the Dresden Files. Maybe I'm going to pick up a few books and see it as it goes.

12. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

zero exposure? no...
    but I have rejected things and continued this rejection after exposure

I have avoided Magicians for years because it sounded dumb. now theres a tv show that not only confirms this opinion, but also brings in this whole detestable Dawson's Creek thing going on.

I have avoided Game of Thrones long before it was on HBO. but that's not zero exposure, it was because I tried to read his work and its written like a 4th grader. He is the master of incomprehensible sentences, Sentence Fragments that redefine the phrase Sentence Fragment. (two nouns put together in a meaningless manner does not a sentence make) and bad emotionless scenes that were designed to bring emotion. Now that there is a Brilliant HBO series, I never have to attempt to read it again.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Andrew.J

I'm not a fan of it either. Essos storyline, as important as it might become, is one of the weakest in the series. But it's hard to streamline the story when you've written yourself in a corner.

I remember reading that there was originally supposed to be a time jump so as to have the children characters grow and certain events to take place. Since that didn't happen, GRRM had to extend the series even more. And it shows. I wonder what will the quality of Winds of Winter be whenever it's released. I hope it's better than the last one.

As for the Dresden Files, if you're worrying about continuity errors/series dragging unnecessarily/filler content because of its length, there's none of that, imo. Butcher had the entire series planned since the very beginning. According to him, there's is going to be 20-21 Dresden 'Case' books and a final trilogy at the end.

14. S. K. Inkslinger

True, I also wonder for the qualities in the storyline of ASOIF, things does seemed a little too distended in the most recent book already.

As for the Dresden Fiiles, I'm glad! Thus, I can soon happily jump into the first and second book I have just bought. :)

15. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Not at all. It seems that most newbies here arrive without knowing about btkong's top 25. On the other hand, I would have never found this place otherwise.

The lists that he and jon snow compile are invaluable and very hard to come up with. It's a monumental task and I'm so very thankful that someone has gone to the trouble to do it.

And yet it seems like 90% of new members get here without reading it or even know of it's existence. It's why each member's top 25 is so much fun. There is a template against which to compare and contrast.

For me the greatest value of this site is the info about books I've never heard of. I don't care about any book's provenance, I just want to give it a chance by reading it or a sampling portion of it. It might be a stinker but there's no harm in trying it out.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Reluctantly made a Warden of the White Council

Thanks! Feeling better! :D

17. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

Have read most of those...

1. ASoIaF - Great series, brought me back to reading fantasy when the TV series came out. Did not watch the TV series until just now.

2. Kingkiller Chronicles - Read it, liked it, waiting for the next one.

3. The First Law - Read it, liked it, but not a great lot

4. LotR - Read that one a few times over the last 30 or so years.

5. The Magicians - Have not read this one, as I was not really aware of it so far. Have now watched the first few episodes as it was one of the few series available on Amazon prime that seemed interesting. Might pick up the books, but am not very eager to do it.

6. Discworld - Read maybe the first 15 books or so, might continue at some point in time. Like the kind of humor a lot.

7. Gentlemen Bastards - Read the first one, did not like it at all, because the heroes are such incredibly goddamn fantastic Mary Sues. Very overrated IMO.

8. The Stormlight Archive - Have not read this, as I did not feel like starting another 20-book series that will likely take 15 years to complete...

9. The Farseer - Read all 9 books of the first 3 series, might continue with the new ones.

10. MBotF - read the first book, it somehow did not float my boat. Might give it another chance as everybody keeps telling me I am horribly wrong. Hmm.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

You are horribly wrong Andy. You should read it. :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Bill Door

Bill Door Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life

I've still yet to read Lord of the Rings. I'm not sure why, but I just can't get into caring about reading it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 A Poet of the Khaiem

Stormlight is actually two 5 book series. Third book of phase 1 is out this fall but we are probably looking at 3 year gaps between the next books as Sanderson continues to write multiple series.

I should read one of the Farseer books. I just haven't.

Feel the same way about 10. First book didn't do it for me and is not a good pitch to continue reading despite pleas from others that it gets a lot better.