Have you ever intentionally avoided reading a top 10 fantasy book? If so why?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by kenubrion, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Have you read the First Law standalones as well? That's when I started really enjoying the series.

2. Anti_Quated

Anti_Quated Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Name of the Wind. The prose, from what I understand, should be the biggest hook of all to me as a reader, and yet, the consistent mention of a self-aggrandising, egocentric and awfully conceited narrator makes me extremely reluctant to go anywhere near it. That and old mate is likely to pull a GRRM and never finish the bloody thing. Fool me once.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

The prose is average, at best. I'd guess that it's hyped up to the degree that it is to cover the fact that there's a very thin plot and the main character is a huge Mary Sue.

4. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

You should still read it, despite the failure of the 3rd book to materialize and the protagonist's lack of humility. It's a terribly flawed series in many ways (Denna, demonic sex ed, etc.), but it's also an exceptional series in many ways. The magic systems and the magical pedagogy are among the best. You probably won't love it entirely, but that also makes the lack of a 3rd book less problematic.

As an author, you should definitely read it. There's a lot of things to learn from, both good and bad.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  5. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

But its boring! Or at least it is so far. If I want to read magic systems, I'll crack open my White Wolf books or look for some Aleister Crowley on Amazon.

6. Darwin

I didn't think so. A few of the scenes are among my all time favorites. Kvothe's admissions interview, his second class with Hemme, his talent trial in the Eolian, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

I haven't even got that far. I spent 20 pages getting slowly into it, 40 pages mildly entertained but definitely wanting a hook, and 20 pages impatiently waiting for the entertainment to begin. I can see how some people like it but for those who are put off by what they hear... well, actually most of what you hear you have to get a long way in for it seems, but some of the concerns are reflected right away and I think most people are right in their gut instinct.

8. Darwin

The first 50 pages or so are rather slow and unimpressive. It gets better.

9. Bill Door

Bill Door Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life

Are you sure fantasy is the genre for you? You seem to dislike everything. lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Maark Abbott

The only truly exceptional scene was where his family dies. Everything else was just... ehhhh.

11. Darwin

Is it possible that your preferred reading style just isn't compatible with certain writing styles? Speed eating competitions typically don't use food that requires a lot of knife work. I typically dislike books that require careful, slow reading of every sentence, because I get frustrated at slow parts of the plot. I suspect that if I expected to read much faster than I typically do, as fast as you choose to do, many of the more manageable works would become unmanageable.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

He isn't the only one on this page.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

Maybe the problem is with reading books, in general?

Anyway, if I recall correctly, an average series like "Wheel of Time" would last Morte only 2 weeks anyway, due to his reading speed... :D

So not much lost...

14. Maark Abbott

...It took me fourteen months.

15. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

You really should work on your speed reading skills :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Maark Abbott

Hah, pass. I like to take my time, plus my usual reading time is the train to and from work (20 minutes each way), sometimes my lunch break (1 hour) and then any time I can take a bath (20 minutes).

17. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Reluctantly made a Warden of the White Council

Damn, the site ate my post.

And actually it'd probably take me 10 years because I can't speed read anything I don't enjoy. I'd sit thee just looking at page like like an hour, begging for the series to stop wasting my time.

18. Blastoise

Blastoise Got in a fistfight with Dresden

What: Books I haven't read on that list with no intention of reading them:

The Name of the Wind
    The Way of Kings

Why: Game of Thrones/ASOIF has made me much pickier about the type of fantasy (really all of fiction) I can enjoy. I simply don't find the black/white characters with the predictable ending remotely interesting (even if the journey itself is unpredictable, if I know the characters will all make it through just fine, then I have zero interest because of zero suspense).

I've tried these rated PG sunshine and rainbows series since ASOIF and I just get annoyed at how lame they are (to me). I understand that not everybody wants something dark/gritty/realistic/edgy all the time, but I am stuck there and can't seem to get past it, lol. It's been a solid 7+ years now.

Everything I have read about those two series, particularly Sanderson in general, has indicated to me that he's a PG author who writes a lot of prose without really saying anything (iirc, one of my friends told me she read WoK and there was a whole chapter just on sprites or something that didn't really contribute to the story). I actually bought the first Mistborn and Stormlight books, but gave them away as I didn't want to read another book that would just fall flat. Admittedly, I have always toed the line of almost finally reading one of his books as there are a lot of people who obviously love them and it makes me want to want to read them, but it seems like I'd just be massively disappointed once I start to research a bit to remind myself why I never read them to begin with, lol. It also seems to be the case that he can't write realistic relationships/dialogue/sex scenes. I don't need one every other page or anything, but it's a major part of the human condition, but the emotional side of a relationship and the physical part of sex. The fact that he can't (or won't, which is irrelevant practically) is a pretty glaring mark that would take me out of the story when I encounter those moments.

I really liked the First Law Trilogy (which was recommended to me here- thanks!) and the Night Angel Trilogy, which were read post and concurrently with ASOIF, respectively. The one series that has been more traditional has been the Throne of Glass series that I keep following. I enjoy the protagonist as she is at least a sort of complex, tortured type that lives in the grey, which I like, despite the rather predictable, eye rolling events sometimes.

I've also really enjoyed the ASOIF approach of writing from individual POVs each chapter. My God, the way that man can write from all genders/ages and nail what you would expect to be their thought processes. This has sneakily become something I keep searching (and partly why I enjoyed First Law so much). I've always been much more of a character guy than a story guy (don't get me wrong, I love and appreciate a good story, but without a character that I enjoy strongly, it likely won't ever be my favorite).

Another series that was recommended to me about a year ago was the Prince of Nothing series and I am about halfway through that one. It's got some good and bad so far- I will probably finish, but I've been debating on quitting at certain parts. I could see it paying off and I tend to at least try to finish the first book once I've started, particularly if I'm already haflway through. We'll see! Malazan was also recommended and is on my list.

• Like Like x 3
  19. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 A Poet of the Khaiem

The chapter on sprites was Sanderson's way of merging in quantum physics with his magic system. I personally find the double slit experiment fascinating and so I found that chapter interesting. But I can see how others wouldn't like it.

20. Maark Abbott

There are several interludes which total up to maybe 100, 150 pages or so, that are essentially the same - rambling distractions that add nothing to the story. One of the major reasons it was terrible.