Have You Read This Book?

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
Well look at it this way - at least he's honest about being dishonest :hilarious:
In the quote from Wiki it says that whenever his book is out he goes, among other places, to the well-known forums. Should we be offended? Or did he realized there's no way past detective Sneaky? ;)

Maybe he's here incognito. Maybe he IS sneaky! Dun dun dunnnn! Brilliant cover. She rips it he'd writers a new one and then she comes on here asking about HIS book. :peeking::watching: I'm really the forum police under cover. Busted sneaky we know I know who you are!! Stay tuned for when I bust Roberta Stanek soon too. :p:hilarious:

Last edited:

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Well look at it this way - at least he's honest about being dishonest
In the words of eternal captain Jack Sparrow:

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Well look at it this way - at least he's honest about being dishonest :hilarious:
In the quote from Wiki it says that whenever his book is out he goes, among other places, to the well-known forums. Should we be offended? Or did he realized there's no way past detective Sneaky? ;)
Now I have moderator powers. Anyone new talking to anyone else new about a Stephen Leather book? I can check the IP address. It'll be like Ben Peller all over again!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Maybe he's here incognito. Maybe he IS sneaky! Dun dun dunnnn! Brilliant cover. She rips it he'd writers a new one and then she comes on here asking about HIS book. :peeking::watching: I'm really the forum police under cover. Busted sneaky we know I know who you are!! Stay tuned for when I bust Roberta Stanek soon too. :p:hilarious:
Hey, I also said I wouldn't buy it!

sopranosfan

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

Thanks, now I want to go watch Pirates of the Caribbean.

sopranosfan

After saying I wanted to watch this I went to the gym and went to the cardio cinema to walk on a treadmill and somebody had this playing which I found extremely funny.

Alucard

Staff member
Did anybody read this? Goodreads keeps recommending it to me and that cover looks epic. However I don't want to start a new series if it's not so good. But the plus is the writer is a woman and an Australian and I haven't read any female Australian fantasy writers :D

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Did anybody read this? Goodreads keeps recommending it to me and that cover looks epic. However I don't want to start a new series if it's not so good. But the plus is the writer is a woman and an Australian and I haven't read any female Australian fantasy writers :D

I think the covers are pretty good for all of them. I have read these (at least the 3 in this series; I think the author had plans for more books but I don't know if they're out yet).

The stories are pretty run-of-the-mill, as fantasy goes. Main characters are nobles/princes/princesses/etc. Plot is about saving a kingdom. People with magical ability are looked upon with suspicion and shuttled off to special schools. Setting is kind of interesting (but it's been awhile so don't quote me on that). They're not bad, in my mind, but not particularly innovative, either.

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did anybody read this?
You can do better. As Sneaky said, its pretty standard fare. If you have anything else in your TBR pile, I would definately read that first. If not, go ahead. It's not bad per se, just not great. Nor very memorable. I can barely remember them anymore.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Did anybody read this? Goodreads keeps recommending it to me and that cover looks epic. However I don't want to start a new series if it's not so good. But the plus is the writer is a woman and an Australian and I haven't read any female Australian fantasy writers
The first few books were pretty OK. The last book just...ended.

Honestly, just skip.

ofer

It's just that I get really excited about female fantasy writers, especially ones that are neither American nor British.
I heard good things about The Etched City by K.J Bishop, but I didn't read it (yet?). The book was nominated for some awards about 10 years ago.
Ben mentions this book in his Standalone list - not as part of the list but immediately afterwards. The author is Australian.

moonspawn

It's on my PTR list :)
I recently read a sample of the Etched City on Google books and although the writing was descriptive, stylistically it looked somewhat awkward. If I do recall there was an instances where the author said something along the lines of the sun getting on towards something instead of saying ascended towards which would have been far more eloquent. Also you seem interested in Australian female authors and if that's the case then there's lots and lots of option to choose from and I can give you a few names if you wish me to. Sixty percent of fantasy writers from Australia are female. Of course, I don't advice reading authors from different places just for diversities sake but certainly you're entitled to do whatever strikes your fancy. I don't particularly pay attention where authors are from but if an author who I so happen to pick up is from neither America, Canada, nor Great Britain then my interest is piqued.

Also has anyone read Charles de Lint? Critics say his books are criminally underrated and I read a sample of his writing on Google books. His prose look good.

Alucard

Staff member
@moonspawn
There was a question there? I didn't feel like I had something to respond to. :D
But if you insist...
I don't read authors from other places for diversity sake. I read because I want to see other perspectives, experience other cultures, get to know other tropes and mythologies. I find that fascinating. I am not interested in Australians for Australia sake, I am interested in everyone that is non-American, non-English. Gender comes second to that.
There's a great big world out there, and the same applies to fantasy literature. I like English and American writers just like you, but I am aware that's not the only worldview and only culture out there.

Btw, a Polish fantasy series is shaping out to be my favorite series ever. I'm talking about Witcher series of course. Now, I would never found it/read it if I wasn't paying attention to other fantasy books outside of Anglo-Saxon culture, would I? I might have played the game and call it quits on that ;)