Have You Read This Book?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Anybody read her books? The artwork just screams read me to me!
Realizing I'm replying to an old post, but I've read Blackdog. I liked it. Different sort of setting and mythology than you usually see (Tibetan, as I recall). Didn't realize the third one was out yet but I am not up on book releases, still working my way through stuff I got years ago. I think the author got her start in YA but these books, though they have a young character as one of the protagonists, are not YA.

epicfantasyfreak

Journeyed there and back again
Realizing I'm replying to an old post, but I've read Blackdog. I liked it. Different sort of setting and mythology than you usually see (Tibetan, as I recall). Didn't realize the third one was out yet but I am not up on book releases, still working my way through stuff I got years ago. I think the author got her start in YA but these books, though they have a young character as one of the protagonists, are not YA.
I was intrigued by the Tibetan mythology thing, so I went and did some digging. From what I've gathered, KV Johansen has two Children's Series (Pippen books and Cassandra Virus books), two YA Series (Torrie Quests and Warlocks of Talverdin), and one Adult series (the Black Dog standalone and the other two Alucard posted pics of: the Marakand duology). She also has two short story collections for adults.

I'll be going put in a request for Black Dog at my library today. :cool:

Derk of Derkholm

"The Many-coloured land", Saga of Pliocene Exile by Julian Mays

Has anyone read this book?

It was suggested to me by a friend who is an avid fantasy reader (I have introduced her to the forum, and hope that she signs up) as her favourite book ever, and from the Goodreads review, it looks and sounds intriguing.

Goodreads description said:
When a one-way time tunnel to Earth's distant past, specifically six million B.C., was discovered by folks on the Galactic Milieu, every misfit for light-years around hurried to pass through it. Each sought his own brand of happiness. But none could have guessed what awaited them. Not even in a million years....
Best regards,
Andy

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
"The Many-coloured land", Saga of Pliocene Exile by Julian Mays

Has anyone read this book?

It was suggested to me by a friend who is an avid fantasy reader (I have introduced her to the forum, and hope that she signs up) as her favourite book ever, and from the Goodreads review, it looks and sounds intriguing.

Best regards,
Andy
As long as there are dinosaur riding knights, I'm sold!

Derk of Derkholm

As long as there are dinosaur riding knights, I'm sold!
Yes, that was my hope as well, but unfortunately I realized at a point that that would need another 60 million years, give or take...

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just interested to see if anyone has read Tom Lloyd?

He's high on my TBR list having recently bought 4 of his books, but I don't think I've seen him mentioned here before?

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
I think a fair few have.

One of the better (high) fantasy series out there by a long,long shot. The series starts out somewhat childish and fantastical, but matures greatly with respect to characters,plot and writing. You name it, and you've probably got it...gods,demigods,assassins,epic battles,intrigue, truly evil protagonists who always have the upper hand, grisly and detailed worldbuilding...I could go on, but it would be pointless because you have to read this series. Although this is not grimdark fantasy, it gets pretty grim for a lot of our protagonists, and there are some truly brutal descriptions and fates that many characters suffer.

The culmination is one of the most satisfying(and saddening, since it was a great series) endings I have ever read(I think I posted about this here on a thread). It is one of the few endings out there which deserve the name.

In short, you should really read this series if you've already bought it. Be warned though, the early books have some formatting and spelling errors here and there.

I've also read his other book, Moon's Artifice(which I do not remember very well) but I do recall that it was more in the vein of a gritty Sherlock-esque book rather than high fantasy. The sequel(not yet released) also falls in my personal list of most awesome covers.

Last edited:

wakarimasen

Cor! Your own sub-genre. That must be the equivalent of a scientist getting a theory named after them. The only thing higher would be a whole new genre, which would be getting a unit of measurement named after you. Alas, they've probably all gone now.
Still, I can aim for sub-genre as a new life goal!:pompus:

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I need to finish the Twilight Reign series. Think I've got like one book left. (Hey, sounds like Malazan, WoT, and Thomas Covenant in that regard...)

I think @Haven has characterized it pretty well.

Boreas

Staff member
The Twilight Reign Series by Tom Lloyd :D
I read "Stormcaller" when it first came out and was waiting for the sequel, but then I forgot about it and never went back. I'd like to reread it and finish the series. I liked the premise.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think a fair few have.

One of the better (high) fantasy series out there by a long,long shot. The series starts out somewhat childish and fantastical, but matures greatly with respect to characters,plot and writing. You name it, and you've probably got it...gods,demigods,assassins,epic battles,intrigue, truly evil protagonists who always have the upper hand, grisly and detailed worldbuilding...I could go on, but it would be pointless because you have to read this series. Although this is not grimdark fantasy, it gets pretty grim for a lot of our protagonists, and there are some truly brutal descriptions and fates that many characters suffer.

The culmination is one of the most satisfying(and saddening, since it was a great series) endings I have ever read(I think I posted about this here on a thread). It is one of the few endings out there which deserve the name.

In short, you should really read this series if you've already bought it. Be warned though, the early books have some formatting and spelling errors here and there.

I've also read his other book, Moon's Artifice(which I do not remember very well) but I do recall that it was more in the vein of a gritty Sherlock-esque book rather than high fantasy. The sequel(not yet released) also falls in my personal list of most awesome covers.
That's brilliant, thanks so much. Will definitely get round to it this year! My TBR pile of books bought and lying around is getting a bit ridiculous!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
@TomTB ?? When did that happen, and why? I liked the full name. Now you could be Tomtoothbush, Tomturkeybiter or even Tomthebastard! ;)
Just did it for twitter reasons .. can now identify myself on the BFB account more easily using less of the 140 letter designation