Have You Read This Book?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
@TomTB ?? When did that happen, and why? I liked the full name. Now you could be Tomtoothbush, Tomturkeybiter or even Tomthebastard! ;)
I keep thinking "Tom tuberculosis."

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Is the Seventh son worth reading? Recently, I liked The City of Wizards ebook.
GeM you don't happen to be George Mazurek, author of The City of Wizards an ebook with one amazon review, that nobody has ever heard of by any chance? I think you are.
Sir, you are being deceitful and spammy promoting your book where it's not meant to be promoted and for that I will give you a warning. We don't look kindly on people who are trying to deceive us.
Do any more of these shenanigans and I or some other mod will ban you from this forum.
If you want to promote your book there's Fantasy Author subforum. You are welcome there.
http://bestfantasybooks.com/forums/forums/fantasy-authors.14/

Boreas

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
Is the Seventh son worth reading? Recently, I liked The City of Wizards ebook.
I skimmed through the sample of "The City of Wizards" on Amazon (the prologue and part of the first chapter). I'd say you'll enjoy reading "The Seventh Son" because Card is a very good author who writes with depth and feeling. The sample of TCoW is mediocre and uninteresting. I encourage you to compare for yourself by skimming through the sample of TSS available on Amazon.

fbones24

Has anyone read the "Trysmoon Saga?" This seems to be a finished series with the books being only .99 on Amazon for kindle. Seems to be standard farm boy with a sword fantasy which I don't mind as long as it is done well. The reviews seem to say it was done well but wanted some opinions from the gallery here.

ReguIa

I've had His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman on my shelf for like 3 years but never read them yet. The reason is because I saw the movie, and.. well.. Not so interested in starting The Golden Compass now. Thing is I've heard really good things about the series as a whole. Is it worth picking up?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I've had His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman on my shelf for like 3 years but never read them yet. The reason is because I saw the movie, and.. well.. Not so interested in starting The Golden Compass now. Thing is I've heard really good things about the series as a whole. Is it worth picking up?
I read (and liked) the books before the movie. There were so many things that were left out and/or that there wasn't really time to explore in the movie. I would imagine there were some key connections that just didn't get made by people who weren't familiar with the books. So I would say go for it.

DoddleBob

Possibly a Darkfriend
Has anyone started The Athena Universe books by Jaz Johnson? It's still fairly new (first book out in 2014), but I'm already engrossed in it. Looking to have some convos about it!

afa

What does everyone think of the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks?

I saw a good deal on Kindle Daily Deals a while back where the first book was, I think, $2.99. The offer's not there anymore, but I was just wondering if there is another offer if it was worth getting it?

As added information, note that I have read his The Way of Shadows trilogy and left unimpressed. I finished it, so it wasn't so boring that I couldn't get through it, but it felt like a 'summer blockbuster' version of a fantasy novel. Like it was directed by Michael Bay.

Hand of Fear

@afa I've read the first two books and they are both really good books, I think I liked the first one better but only just. It has a very good magic system, and it's laced with humour.

Have you read the Way of Shadows by the same author ?

Griffin

I'd say Lightbringer is a fair bit better than The Way of Shadows (only read the first book). Very imaginative magic system and great characters. I have to disagree with @Hand of Fear here and say that book 2 blew book 1 out of the water, and book 1 is already a damn fine one!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Have only read the first Lightbringer book but liked it better than the Shadows books (of which I read all three). Can't get into specifics because it's been a very long time in both cases.

Cyphon

What does everyone think of the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks?

I saw a good deal on Kindle Daily Deals a while back where the first book was, I think, $2.99. The offer's not there anymore, but I was just wondering if there is another offer if it was worth getting it?

As added information, note that I have read his The Way of Shadows trilogy and left unimpressed. I finished it, so it wasn't so boring that I couldn't get through it, but it felt like a 'summer blockbuster' version of a fantasy novel. Like it was directed by Michael Bay.
Lightbringer is one of the best ongoing series IMO. All 3 books are good and if you are into interesting magic systems it is definitely something you should check out. I read The Way of Shadows a long time ago and enjoyed it but if memory serves you are probably right in that it is kind of like a summer blockbuster of books. Lightbringer is easily superior though.

ReguIa

Lightbringer is one of the best ongoing series IMO
Everything I'm interested in lately is getting nothing but praise. First Lightbringer and now Leviathan Wakes as well from TomTB. How will I ever decide what to read when every other post make me change my mind!:D
I guess I can try and wait a little with Lightbringer, considering the fourth is set for a 2016 release if I'm not mistaken.

afa

@Hand of Fear , @Sneaky Burrito , @Griffin and @Cyphon

Thanks for the opinions. So I guess it's quite clearly an improvement over his first trilogy. Buying all three books from Amazon at the moment will cost me about $26, which is more than I want to spend on Weeks right now. I have enough on my TBR list. But I will keep an eye out in case there is another deal, and I might pick it up.

Thanks.