Have You Read This Book?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by btkong, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Has anyone read The Vagrant and the Malice by Peter Newman? The books get ambivulous reviews on GoodReads (especially the first book). The premise sounds very cool. A bit like the Dark Tower. Can anyone tell me whether its worth a shot to read it? I do like series like the Dark Tower and I loved McCarthy's the Road (which @Jon Snow said it resembles).

2. Jon Snow

Jon Snow No Power in the Verse can stop me Staff Member

Both @btkong and I loved The Vagrant, he really liked The Malice, but I didn't. I felt what I liked about the first one wasn't there in the second.

http://bestfantasybooks.com/blog/the-best-fantasy-books-of-2016-the-year-in-review/

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Silvion, you will like The Vagrant. Right in your wheelhouse, and you need to see how this guy writes. The action comes fast and furiously and yet the background story builds gradually. Now we don't get The Malice until March 7 if you can believe that. Guess they figure we can't handle it until then.

4. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I am in the middle of The Malice right now. I actually really liked the first one. I think I am more enthusiastic about the second than @Jon Snow but maybe not as much as @btkong? I'm only maybe 20% through (if that) so my opinion could change. Definitely worth a shot.

5. Silvion Night

Thanks all, that's really helpful. I will insert it into my reading plan, which currently looks (tentatively) as follows:

1. Finish the main Discworld series
    2. Read book 4 in Abatch's Immortal Treachery series.
    3. Read the Vagrant
    4. Continue my Malazan journey (I've read the main 10 book series by Erickson, but I also want to read the Esslemont books and the newer Erikson books)

That should keep me occupied until Winds of Winter comes out. Or not. :p

• Like Like x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Peat

Peat Became a Faceless Man

I picked up The Vagrant and put it down again fairly soon after. Didn't gel with the writing style, found there was too much voice. Shall try again some day though.

7. atheling

atheling A Poet of the Khaiem

Too much voice? don't think I follow you there.

I mean, the present tense thing is a bit weird, but I got used to it after a few pages (so I recall). Is that what you mean?

8. Peat

No it isn't, although I do loathe present tense as well. I found the authorial voice over stylised and getting in the way of my fun.

9. atheling

oh right. voice = author voice.

okay, well, I don't remember that about the novel, but I also forgot about the present tense until I glanced at it again a few minutes ago, so I'm not confident of my memory here. I don't remember being bothered by it, and I think I would have been (for what it's worth)

10. Peat

Yeah, I'm gonna guess very few people have that issue with the book. I'm mega picky it seems sometimes. Still, it came up so I gave my experience.

11. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

When your MC is a mute, someone's voice is needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. atheling

I guess I got confused because I was thinking "author intrusions" (e.g. when the author passes judgment on the viewpoint character in a scene--Stephen King does this now and then, for instance), but it sounds like you mean "narrative" (as opposed to dialogue).

Yeah. I mean. The book is somewhat experimental. I don't think he could keep the non-speaking viewpoint character for more than one book without getting irritating, but I liked it for this one. Maybe it's not for everyone. "Experimental" writing can be like that...

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

:borg:He writes Science Fiction so please excuse me for coloring outside the lines a wee bit. :D

Anyone familiar with Douglas E. Richards? He has a few NY Times bestsellers and the reviews are mostly positive. His books are available on the Kindle Daily Deals frequently and there is one right now that looks very interesting.

How much heavy science is there? I get easily dazed and confused which then leads to frustration and boredom. Is his stuff thought provoking or just sort of thrillers?

It isn't a matter of wasting $2 but my OCD rule is that if I go past 20-30 pages and/or purchase a book I force myself to complete it.

14. Kalavan

Kalavan Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Once I've finished Nightwise, I'm planning to pick up a traditional epic fantasy series, I'm currently undecided between Gwynne's The Faithful and the Fallen or Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. Any insights?

15. Silvion Night

Yes, go for Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, because it's one of the best fantasy series out there.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Peat

Isn't t' start of it real cheap on Amazon at moment if you like kindle?

I'd note that people have been really pushing The Faithful and the Fallen on me but I've yet to read it. I tried Memory, Sorrow and Thorn but couldn't get into it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Have you read this book?

I read it years ago, it's not great but formulaic like most PI books.. it's a detective in Rome.
    The book I read he was investigating during saturnalia involving all the standard detective tropes. And a political officials with a shrine to hermaphroditc statues in his closet.

I've wondered if there were others. I assume there were.

(Bonus question: any other detective novels in other genres (like harry dresden))

18. Peat

Think that's the Falco book entitled Saturnalia. There's about 20 books in the series if I'm right.

19. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Thanks, I'm not sure I'll read any. But it's been bugging me for a while.

20. Hikerike

Hikerike Drinks Elfbark tea with FitzChivalry

Anyone read Dawn of Wonder by Jonathan Renshaw? I might pick it up with my audible coin. Never heard of the author or the series, seems to be highly rated on goodreads but with very mixed reviews.