Have You Read This Book?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by btkong, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Mordecai Illeniel

Mordecai Illeniel Got in a fistfight with Dresden

I read it and enjoyed it. Good writing and nicely paced. A book with a "positive" air to it, that makes me want to read it (compared to farseer trilogy or asoiaf that are utterly depressing and "negative" to me). No magic to speak of, although it exists in the world. I will definitely be reading the next book in the series when it comes out.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 A Poet of the Khaiem

No, never heard of it (or him). But your question caught my interest, so I checked his Amazon page, then his website, and watched the video about how to make a bow (common interest, shaping wood). Suggest you do likewise - right through to the last few frames where he lists the timings for all the jobs!
    Of course, the value of the book will depend almost entirely on the style and quality of the storytelling . . . I will comment on that when I have read it! (so far, I have downloaded a sample.)

• Like Like x 1
  3. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Is that the book that starts out with a rider coming up to a group of people to warn them about something? The boy who is the main character then warns the people at the big manor house? Then at night the bad guys come and start destroying everything and the boy sneaks off to the town to get help and finally finds one person who gets a few more people and the group ride out to the manor but it's all over and then the boy takes off into the forest on foot following the bad guys so he can rescue a friend and he climbs a tree and watches and listens to the bad guys?

No, never heard of it.

Seriously, is it?

4. Mordecai Illeniel

Mordecai Illeniel Got in a fistfight with Dresden

That's the one.

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I totally loved the Shadowmarch series. I plan to read Memory Sorrow and Thorn within the next couple of months. Back when the obese books were coming into fashion the selection was limited. I saw it every time I went to Borders but refused to buy it for a really dumb reason. That cover was so ugly I didn't want to look at it for hours a day. How dumb is THAT? :confused: Now I hear it's really good plus with a Kindle who cares what a cover looks like? I didn't know anything about the author back then. I thought his short stories in "The Very Best of Tad Williams was easily one of my favorite collections. I only read one book of the Otherland series and did not enjoy it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Darth Tater

I won't ask has anybody read these series because I already know the answer. But I am HOPING I can please get help on the following

1. The City Of Stairs series by Bennett. What did you think of it? Am I coreect in thinking it is a trilogy and the final book is coming out in April?

2. The Shadow Campain . (ThosandvNames). series by Wexler. What did you think of it? Do you know how many books are planned? Totally in the dark.. Five with book 5 yet to be scheduled? More? ? I've Googled it and still don't have a clue.

7. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

City of Stairs - Yes its a trilogy, yes the last one is coming out soon.

I'm still somewhat ambivalent about City of Stairs. Some of it I thought was done incredibly well; some of it I thought rather subpar. The worldbuilding and magic is the star of the show. I'd probably like the world building even more if so much of it wasn't in big ol' info dumps at the end of chapters (its presented as stories of the world, and they're interesting in isolation, but so many of them in a big book is info dumping) The pacing and plot are, personally, a bit uneven. The characters took a long time to grow on me.

Would I recommend it? Yeah, I want to read the next one, but there's some major flaws. That said, its strengths are what don't matter to me that much, and its weaknesses are what leaves me frothing at the mouth a little, so gotta be pretty decent.

Also - its in present tense. Present tense in fiction should be made illegal.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kalavan

Kalavan Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I'm a huge fan of The Shadow Campaigns, together with Cameron's The Traitor Son my favourite ongoing military fantasy series. Although calling it a mil-fantasy series is perhaps a bit reductive, from the second books onwards the focus shifts slightly towards political plotting and there's also a bigger attention to the characters' emotions and growth.

There are 5 books planned in this series, the last installment should be published around summer 2018.

Deeply recommend, as well as the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series mentioned in your previous post, and that I've recently finished with extreme pleasure.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Darth Tater

Thanks Kalavan (you too Peat). Good stuff. Totally loving the Traitor Son Cycle through book 3. On Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn I purchased book one a couple months ago and plan to start it as soon as I get as far as I can (book 4,on both) on on Traitor Son abd Lightbringer. I loved Shadowmarch and his shorts were really good as far as shorts go. Didn't like Otherland and quit after one book.

10. kenubrion

I'm just starting Crashing Heaven by Al Robertson. Has anyone read this book? Sci-fi but I'm desperate.

11. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Yup ..

12. kenubrion

Any good, Tom?

13. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

I think I went with around the 7/10 mark ... I enjoyed it well enough, had a really cool AI character, and the futuristic society was really well written, but I'm not a huge fan of the whole detective noir style SF books (I didn't like Altered Carbon, for example) which I recon this book kind of fits in.

14. kenubrion

Thank you Tom. I have found that little info exists for the book, as well as few reviews, yet it is written very well. The Kindle version has had 1 review in the 2 years it has been listed. There are 7 reviews for the hard copy versions. All of which I thought odd, especially considering how well written it is.

15. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Ran bridges next to Kaladin

By Paul Kearney, The Ten Thousand (The Match#1) and/or Hawkwood’s Voyage (The Monarchies’s of God #1)
    I really enjoyed Kearney’s The Wolf in the Attic and I was wondering about his other series. Anyone..?

16. Peat

Read Monarchies of Gods and The Sea Beggars. I had to google The Wolf in the Attic and it sounds like it's a real 180 from his normal sort of work, which I would characterise as grimdark/military fantasy of a superior nature. If you like that sort of thing, crack on; Kearney is a very good author and arguably as underrated as anyone in the genre.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I have not read The Wold in the Attic (yet -- I did buy it when it was on Kindle special, though the description sounds quite different from his other series).

But, I do like his other series, both of which I have read. The Macht trilogy is one of those unusual trilogies where the second book is actually the best, and there is very little magic (only some special armor) and lots of military action. Monarchies of God I think I read about 7 years ago...but lots of politics and also war, sea voyaging, and more elements that might be considered supernatural/magical. I kind of want to compare him to Steven Erikson but that may be because there was an Erikson blurb on the front cover of my copy of the first Monarchies of God omnibus (in the US the whole series was available as 2 paperbacks containing all 5 books).

Macht has definite historical tie-ins, if that is your thing. (Think Persian/Greek stuff.) Monarchies is more European in its setting.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Thank you @Sneaky Burrito and @Peat. I keep reading good things about Kearney, which confirm my first impression of him after reading The Wolf in the Attic.

19. Kalavan

Kalavan Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I'm a huge fan of Paul Kearney, surely the most underrated fantasy author out there, I've liked both The Monarchies of God and The Wolf in the Attic, but they are indeed extremely different works.
    I still haven't read them, but if you liked the latter you should perhaps consider also his Different Kingdoms series - as far as I know, they are actually 3 stand-alone books with a similar portal fantasy theme, The Wolf in the Attic is considered a sort of return to his original style after his digression into epic fantasy.

Avoid The Sea Beggars. I actually liked that series too, and there should definitely be more maritime fantasy novels, but unfortunately the third and final book has been stuck in some kind of publishing hell for nearly a decade, I doubt that we will see the conclusion of this trilogy anytime soon.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Peat

Bah. I'll take the Sea Beggars unfinished over most series I've read finished.