Have You Read This Book?

Kalavan

Journeyed there and back again
Cannot disagree with that, it is indeed that good

Diziet Sma

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
I'm a huge fan of Paul Kearney, surely the most underrated fantasy author out there, I've liked both The Monarchies of God and The Wolf in the Attic, but they are indeed extremely different works.
I still haven't read them, but if you liked the latter you should perhaps consider also his Different Kingdoms series - as far as I know, they are actually 3 stand-alone books with a similar portal fantasy theme, The Wolf in the Attic is considered a sort of return to his original style after his digression into epic fantasy.

Avoid The Sea Beggars. I actually liked that series too, and there should definitely be more maritime fantasy novels, but unfortunately the third and final book has been stuck in some kind of publishing hell for nearly a decade, I doubt that we will see the conclusion of this trilogy anytime soon.
Thank you Kalavan. I have already bought the first installments for The Match and The Monarchie's of God following just one very eager friend's recommendation. After reading yours, plus Sneaky's and Peat's, I don't feel I can go wrong with Kearney.

Darth Tater

Gentlemen Bastards. I'm holding off starting due to large gaps between books. But is it true that each book has its own beginning and end so although they should be read in order they are nevertheless separate novels?*

*Like The Old Man series by Scalzi.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Gentlemen Bastards. I'm holding off starting due to large gaps between books. But is it true that each book has its own beginning and end so although they should be read in order they are nevertheless separate novels?*

*Like The Old Man series by Scalzi.
Not really. Sure, they can be read as standalones, but it's a bit like WoT; the books can be read as standalones, but the red thread, the overarching storyline, is best appreciated when you read the books consecutively.

Peat

Hrm... halfway? There definitely is action, although I kind of prefer the book when there's not. Its a frustrating wee number in that a lot of things are done right but the pacing is inconsistent as hell and the structure isn't quite sound enough. Or so I found it.

kenubrion

Thanks Peat, deleted it just now. At 10% I had a good idea about the writing and where it was headed. Which is where no would care about going.

Hand of Fear

@Darth Tater I felt the quality and the story lines of The Gentleman Bastards went downhill and to far away from when they first start out and it was just a bit ridiculous in the end. Politics and sailing ain't my thing, and since the second and third books are very much based around these things, they were pretty average.

Darth Tater

@Darth Tater I felt the quality and the story lines of The Gentleman Bastards went downhill and to far away from when they first start out and it was just a bit ridiculous in the end. Politics and sailing ain't my thing, and since the second and third books are very much based around these things, they were pretty average.
This presents a win-win-lose situation for me. If I like or love it I've found another good series to read. If it is so-so I can cross an unfinished series off my TBR. The only way I lose is if I hate it and have to suffer through 750 pages. :)

kenubrion

Has anyone read Wrath by John Gwynne, book 4 of that series? I've read through Ruin, book 3, and as I was looking at the product page for Wrath, this line in the description jumped out: "With all seven under his command, Nathair can open a portal to the Otherworld. Then Asroth and his demon-horde will finally break into the Banished Lands and become flesh."

Has it ever been revealed why the otherwise rational Nathair would want Asroth and the demon-horde to show up? If his sole motivation was to be the king of all, that would make sense. But why does he want to do all this for Asroth?

Thanks in advance.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Has it ever been revealed why the otherwise rational Nathair would want Asroth and the demon-horde to show up? If his sole motivation was to be the king of all, that would make sense. But why does he want to do all this for Asroth?
He has been misled by Calidus, which of course all the readers knew all along, but he is unable to get out of it now, due to threats by Calidus and his (Nathair's) own stubbornness.

Edit: or at least, that's how I remember it. I think it was last year than I actually read this one.

Nuomer1

He has been misled by Calidus, which of course all the readers knew all along, but he is unable to get out of it now, due to threats by Calidus and his (Nathair's) own stubbornness.

Edit: or at least, that's how I remember it. I think it was last year than I actually read this one.
Thanks. Now I know why I absolutely DO NOT want to read this series.

Darth Tater

I have never read anything by Tim Powers. I have the Anubis Gates on my TBR but that is the one book of hers that never goes on sale and the short block is 16 box. But I see On Stranger Tides for a decent price. Has anyone read this book or anything by this author?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I've read Anubis Gates. Gave it 4 stars. It's an interesting time travel story, kind of a mix between sci-fi and fantasy. I really liked Tim Powers' writing. I think he's seriously underrated.

kenubrion

Has anyone here read The Nameless Dwarf books? I'm having a hard time knowing which book to read first. There are so many series and books that are interrelated but none are identified as the one to start with. Even the author's blog is unclear on this. Thanks in advance.

Nuomer1

Has anyone here read The Nameless Dwarf books? I'm having a hard time knowing which book to read first. There are so many series and books that are interrelated but none are identified as the one to start with. Even the author's blog is unclear on this. Thanks in advance.
Tried one. DNF.

MorteTorment

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Has anyone here read the inCRYPTid series? It's a funny urban fantasy series, where the main character combines ballroom dancing into her combat style. Read the first book, and it was really really good.

S. K. Inkslinger

Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon
Has anyone read Jim Butcher's Dresden Files? I've gotten the first book in the series (and two of the latest books) from a clearance book sale, and the premise does seemed pretty interesting.