Have You Read This Book?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by btkong, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Kalavan

Kalavan Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Cannot disagree with that, it is indeed that good

2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Thank you Kalavan. I have already bought the first installments for The Match and The Monarchie's of God following just one very eager friend's recommendation. After reading yours, plus Sneaky's and Peat's, I don't feel I can go wrong with Kearney.

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Gentlemen Bastards. I'm holding off starting due to large gaps between books. But is it true that each book has its own beginning and end so although they should be read in order they are nevertheless separate novels?*

*Like The Old Man series by Scalzi.

4. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Not really. Sure, they can be read as standalones, but it's a bit like WoT; the books can be read as standalones, but the red thread, the overarching storyline, is best appreciated when you read the books consecutively.

5. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Has anyone read City of Stairs? How long does it take for something to happen? Is it devoid of any action?

6. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

Hrm... halfway? There definitely is action, although I kind of prefer the book when there's not. Its a frustrating wee number in that a lot of things are done right but the pacing is inconsistent as hell and the structure isn't quite sound enough. Or so I found it.

7. kenubrion

Thanks Peat, deleted it just now. At 10% I had a good idea about the writing and where it was headed. Which is where no would care about going.

8. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

@Darth Tater I felt the quality and the story lines of The Gentleman Bastards went downhill and to far away from when they first start out and it was just a bit ridiculous in the end. Politics and sailing ain't my thing, and since the second and third books are very much based around these things, they were pretty average.

9. Darth Tater

This presents a win-win-lose situation for me. If I like or love it I've found another good series to read. If it is so-so I can cross an unfinished series off my TBR. The only way I lose is if I hate it and have to suffer through 750 pages. :)

10. kenubrion

Has anyone read Wrath by John Gwynne, book 4 of that series? I've read through Ruin, book 3, and as I was looking at the product page for Wrath, this line in the description jumped out: "With all seven under his command, Nathair can open a portal to the Otherworld. Then Asroth and his demon-horde will finally break into the Banished Lands and become flesh."

Has it ever been revealed why the otherwise rational Nathair would want Asroth and the demon-horde to show up? If his sole motivation was to be the king of all, that would make sense. But why does he want to do all this for Asroth?

Thanks in advance.

11. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

He has been misled by Calidus, which of course all the readers knew all along, but he is unable to get out of it now, due to threats by Calidus and his (Nathair's) own stubbornness.

Edit: or at least, that's how I remember it. I think it was last year than I actually read this one.

12. kenubrion

Thanks Sneaky. That explains it.

13. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 Journeyed there and back again

Thanks. Now I know why I absolutely DO NOT want to read this series.

14. Darth Tater

I have never read anything by Tim Powers. I have the Anubis Gates on my TBR but that is the one book of hers that never goes on sale and the short block is 16 box. But I see On Stranger Tides for a decent price. Has anyone read this book or anything by this author?

15. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

I've read Anubis Gates. Gave it 4 stars. It's an interesting time travel story, kind of a mix between sci-fi and fantasy. I really liked Tim Powers' writing. I think he's seriously underrated.

16. kenubrion

Has anyone here read The Nameless Dwarf books? I'm having a hard time knowing which book to read first. There are so many series and books that are interrelated but none are identified as the one to start with. Even the author's blog is unclear on this. Thanks in advance.

17. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 Journeyed there and back again

Tried one. DNF.

18. kenubrion

Thanks Nuomer. I stopped again. It's got a weird vibe going, doesn't it?

19. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Knows Who John Uskglass Is

Has anyone here read the inCRYPTid series? It's a funny urban fantasy series, where the main character combines ballroom dancing into her combat style. Read the first book, and it was really really good.

20. S. K. Inkslinger

S. K. Inkslinger Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon

Has anyone read Jim Butcher's Dresden Files? I've gotten the first book in the series (and two of the latest books) from a clearance book sale, and the premise does seemed pretty interesting.