Have You Read This Book?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by btkong, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Kalavan

Kalavan Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Cannot disagree with that, it is indeed that good

2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Thank you Kalavan. I have already bought the first installments for The Match and The Monarchie's of God following just one very eager friend's recommendation. After reading yours, plus Sneaky's and Peat's, I don't feel I can go wrong with Kearney.

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Gentlemen Bastards. I'm holding off starting due to large gaps between books. But is it true that each book has its own beginning and end so although they should be read in order they are nevertheless separate novels?*

*Like The Old Man series by Scalzi.

4. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Not really. Sure, they can be read as standalones, but it's a bit like WoT; the books can be read as standalones, but the red thread, the overarching storyline, is best appreciated when you read the books consecutively.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Has anyone read City of Stairs? How long does it take for something to happen? Is it devoid of any action?

6. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

Hrm... halfway? There definitely is action, although I kind of prefer the book when there's not. Its a frustrating wee number in that a lot of things are done right but the pacing is inconsistent as hell and the structure isn't quite sound enough. Or so I found it.

7. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Thanks Peat, deleted it just now. At 10% I had a good idea about the writing and where it was headed. Which is where no would care about going.

8. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

@Darth Tater I felt the quality and the story lines of The Gentleman Bastards went downhill and to far away from when they first start out and it was just a bit ridiculous in the end. Politics and sailing ain't my thing, and since the second and third books are very much based around these things, they were pretty average.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

This presents a win-win-lose situation for me. If I like or love it I've found another good series to read. If it is so-so I can cross an unfinished series off my TBR. The only way I lose is if I hate it and have to suffer through 750 pages. :)