Have You Read This Book?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I’m considering to pick up Donaldson’s Mordant’s Need (which for no sensible reasons I have always thought was called Mordant’s Nest), any opinions?

I kinda liked Thomas Covenant's original trilogy, but not enough to pick up the following Chronicles, is Mordant’s Need somewhat similar?
Been a long, long time since I read Mordant's Need. Like, before I moved to Georgia (and I've been here 11+ years now). POV character is easier to sympathize with. Like Covenant, deals with someone from *this* world traveling elsewhere. More of a traditional pseudo-medieval sort of fantasy setting than Thomas Covenant. But my vague recollection is that I enjoyed it. Magic system was way different from Covenant (honestly more defined, with more rules, but not in a Sanderson-y way).

fl1pper

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Been a long, long time since I read Mordant's Need. Like, before I moved to Georgia (and I've been here 11+ years now). POV character is easier to sympathize with. Like Covenant, deals with someone from *this* world traveling elsewhere. More of a traditional pseudo-medieval sort of fantasy setting than Thomas Covenant. But my vague recollection is that I enjoyed it. Magic system was way different from Covenant (honestly more defined, with more rules, but not in a Sanderson-y way).
Stephen Donaldson currently sits on top of my favourite author list, though Steven Erikson is likely to take that honour. I remember enjoying Mordant's need as well but don't recall much about it.

Did you know he has the first of a new trilogy out on November 16th? It's called Seventh Decimate: The Great God's War (Book 1)

Last edited:

Kalavan

Ran bridges next to Kaladin
Did you know he has the first of a new trilogy out on November 16th? It's called Seventh Decimate: The Great God's War (Book 1)
Actually yes, I was aware of that, but I usually avoid ongoing series, unless they are written by a selected number of my favorite authors, I'm already struggling enough with the dozen of incomplete series I'm following.
And the kindle edition of Seventh Decimate is currently priced a ridiculous 17,47 dollars, nearly 5 bucks more than the 2 books of Mordant's Need together.

fl1pper

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
I understand what you mean about incomplete series, it can very frustrating. As I've explained before I had a huge period of my life where I read very little so I haven't actually read the The Final Chronicles of TC which is on my list in a couple of books time. I'm actually nervous about it because it doesn't get great reviews and I don't want to spoil the first two trilogies which are my favourite books.

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Scraping off the dust covering this thread to ask of the Tad Williams' fans, to successfully read Witchwood Crown is it necessary, not necessary, or just recommended to read Heart of What Was Lost? I get how Lost fits in after the trilogy but is it necessary for understanding events in Witchwood. Thanks in advance.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a question about Michael J Sullivan's books. If starting them, where should I start. Noticed there is a 6 book series starting with The Crown Conspiracy which is now out of print. Or can I start with Theft of Swords, first of the Riyria Revelations series?

Kalavan

They are the same thing, the series was originally self-published by Sullivan in 6 volumes, and later re-printed when picked up by his publisher in 3 omnibus, Theft of Swords does contain the first 2 volumes, The Crown Conspiracy and Avempartha.

Sullivan is now writing several prequels, the Riyria Chronicles, but I'd definitely start from the Revelations

kenubrion

Tom, Sullivan has said that his recommended reading order is the order of publication starting with Theft of Swords as Kalavan said (although Chronicles happens earlier in internal order it was written years later). Now having read both I don't think it matters anymore. I would have been fine going from the last book of Chronicles to Theft of Swords. I'm envious as yur in for some mighty fine readin there, pardner.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cheers fellas, much appreciated. Think it might be my next series after I've finished with the Chronicles of St Mary's, which is great!

Kalavan

As soon as I'll finish The Greatcoats - that, once again, you all should definetely pick up, it is that good - I'm planning to give J.V. Jones a try.

Sword of Shadows seems to be by a distance her best work, but unfortunately no one knows when the final installment will be available. Any insight on The Barbed Coil or The Book of Words?

Khartun

As soon as I'll finish The Greatcoats - that, once again, you all should definetely pick up, it is that good - I'm planning to give J.V. Jones a try.

Sword of Shadows seems to be by a distance her best work, but unfortunately no one knows when the final installment will be available. Any insight on The Barbed Coil or The Book of Words?
Last I heard she was back to writing and had set up a patreon site to help her fund it. That must have been a year ago though. I haven't heard anything since. I've been waiting to start that series until I know she is going to finish it.

kenubrion

Sword of Shadows seems to be by a distance her best work, but unfortunately no one knows when the final installment will be available. Any insight on The Barbed Coil or The Book of Words?[/QUOTE]

Book of Words is wonderful. And well priced as you get all three books for the price of one. You will like it a lot.

Kalavan

Book of Words is wonderful. And well priced as you get all three books for the price of one. You will like it a lot.
Thanks, I did not realize that there is a omnibus edition cheaper than the single first installment I was considering to pick up, bought it.