Have you read this book?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Figured the SF sub-forum could do with this thread as well.

Has anyone read anything by Jack Campbell? The first book in his Lost Fleet series is only 99p on Amazon UK at the moment, just wondered if it was worth a punt. One of the reviews caught my attention, which said:

If you are expecting a deep thought out story with complicated plot it's not for you. If you want a quick light read, with entertaining battle scenes, reasonable character development and a few cliff hanger endings this series delivers in spades.

Link here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MLDWA48/ref=series_rw_dp_sw The subsequent books in the series are all pretty cheep too, maxing out at about £3.50.

Griffin

Journeyed there and back again
I haven't read that book, but it's on my list to read. I think it will be something along the lines of John Scalzi's Old Man's War universe. Fun, lots of action and utterly brainless.

Boreas

Staff member
I haven't read that book, but it's on my list to read. I think it will be something along the lines of John Scalzi's Old Man's War universe. Fun, lots of action and utterly brainless.
I've just read "Old Man's War". I don't think it was utterly brainless. Very silly at times, but not brainless. "Lost Fleet" has some well thought battles incorporating relativistic effects, but it's a frustrating read - writing, dialogue, characters are all shit. Maybe it gets better after book 2, but I couldn't continue at the time.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks both. I've bought it; seemed silly not to at only a quid. It's fairly short too so should be a quick read, and I'll decide whether it's worth carrying on with the series after.

kenubrion

I've read a couple Lost Fleet books and will reserve my comments until Tom has read it/them. I will say that I enjoyed the first book.

But I wanted to mention that Jack Campbell has begun writing epic fantasy as of last April, and the sequel just came out yesterday, which is pretty fast. I'm going to sample the first one as soon as I can tear myself away from Redemption Arc.

http://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Dorca...4033657&sr=1-2&keywords=lost+fleet+1+campbell

Last edited:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone read the Ann Leckie (Ancillary) trilogy? Just wondering if it was anything like The Expanse books?

Griffin

The Ancillary books are really innovative and interesting. I wouldn't say they are really like the Expanse books, but it's been a while. Anyhow, I recomment them ;)

kenubrion

Has anyone read the Ann Leckie (Ancillary) trilogy? Just wondering if it was anything like The Expanse books?
I've only read the first, no interest in reading the sequel. Not at all like the Expanse. Definitely worth reading if only to find out why it won every single award, an almost unprecedented feat.

Last edited:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks all. The blurb on the back cover didn't really appeal to me, but it's an award winning (first) book, so wasn't sure what to expect. Don't think I'll rush to start this series ...

Ryan W. Mueller

I've read the first, and I'm in no rush to read the second. I thought the ambition of the story exceeded the execution. The gender treatment didn't feel natural. It felt like an author trying to make a statement.

Overall, I thought it was a solid read, but there's nothing about it that makes me feel like I'm dying to read the next book. I think I ran into the issue that I face with a lot of far-future science fiction. The universe the author creates is so unfamiliar that I can't find anything to latch onto. I have the same issue with Alastair Reynolds.

The Expanse series, on the other hand, is one of my favorites. I wish I could find more books like it.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've read the first, and I'm in no rush to read the second. I thought the ambition of the story exceeded the execution. The gender treatment didn't feel natural. It felt like an author trying to make a statement.

Overall, I thought it was a solid read, but there's nothing about it that makes me feel like I'm dying to read the next book. I think I ran into the issue that I face with a lot of far-future science fiction. The universe the author creates is so unfamiliar that I can't find anything to latch onto. I have the same issue with Alastair Reynolds.

The Expanse series, on the other hand, is one of my favorites. I wish I could find more books like it.
Thanks ' yes completely agree regarding Expanse ... I'd love to find some similar books.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone read any of the Honor Harrington books by David Weber? Just seen the first couple are free on Kindle ..

Hand of Fear

It's nice to have a choice
How do you decide what book to read next then, I have a hard enough time with the amount of book that I have. I have been reading a lot more SF so I know that my next book will not be SF, but it still doesn't make my choice any easier.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do you decide what book to read next then, I have a hard enough time with the amount of book that I have. I have been reading a lot more SF so I know that my next book will not be SF, but it still doesn't make my choice any easier.
Well it's been fairly easy of late ... Joe Abercrombie. And I recently started the Tales of the Ketty Jay series, so seemed logical to pick up the sequel (which I'm enjoying much more than the first one it's fair to say) ... the VE Schwab books were standalones, and just slotted in (I wasn't planning on reading A Darker Shade of Magic, but I enjoyed Vicious SO much I just had to ...). Armada I read just cos it was a new release, and I'm trying to read more new releases (which fits the bill for VE Schwabb too). Next up is Dinosaur Lords (the future of fantasy), then I'll try and finally finish Memory Sorrow Thorn (after almost a year!), then I'll have to choose one from the TBR pile!

You asked!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Has anyone read any of the Honor Harrington books by David Weber? Just seen the first couple are free on Kindle ..
I tried one once. Didn't make it too far. Not interested in military sci-fi. Lots of salvos of missiles and such in the first few pages.