Have you read this book?

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Has anyone read any of the Honor Harrington books by David Weber? Just seen the first couple are free on Kindle ..
Yeah, they're good, until about the ninth book and then Weber begins just using boilerplate scenarios. Lots of internal dialogue and navel gazing as the series progresses. But the first few are definitely worth reading. His Dahak series is just great.

Hi everyone, new to these forums.

I'm really curious to know if any of you read my first book Earth - Last Sanctuary ?
It's space opera with a bit of fantasy and Greek mythology in the mix.

If you did, would love to know what you thought of it.

I've also made the art cover (been doing art, manga and illustrations for 20 years before I released this book), let me know how you guys like it, well if you'd like that is ;).
And don't hesitate to register to my newsletter (just google my name, it's the first result. I can't seem to post links as my first post apparently) if you'd like to get the book for free (I'm running a offer where the first 20 people get the book for free).

I'm really interested to know if by looking at this cover, does it interest you into browsing the book at first sight?
In any case, any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Happy SciFi reading,

Cheers,
Christian Kallias

kenubrion

I try to at least sample all the new military space opera and will do so with this. Good on ya for being part of KU. And yes your artwork is very good and an invitation to read. Sequel coming soon and you want the word out. You will be receiving a note about spamming here however, not from me though since others will.

Boreas

Staff member

I'm really curious to know if any of you read my first book Earth - Last Sanctuary ?

I've also made the art cover (been doing art, manga and illustrations for 20 years before I released this book), let me know how you guys like it, well if you'd like that is ;).
And don't hesitate to register to my newsletter (just google my name, it's the first result. I can't seem to post links as my first post apparently) if you'd like to get the book for free (I'm running a offer where the first 20 people get the book for free).

I'm really interested to know if by looking at this cover, does it interest you into browsing the book at first sight?

Happy SciFi reading,

Cheers,
Christian Kallias
Well done on the cover. Better art than on most of the self-published titles I've seen. Quite a lot going on and definitely gives off an action heavy vibe.

Here's the link to your book: http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Last-Sa...1442678096&sr=8-2&keywords=universe+in+flames

Good luck with your series.

I try to at least sample all the new military space opera and will do so with this. Good on ya for being part of KU. And yes your artwork is very good and an invitation to read. Sequel coming soon and you want the word out. You will be receiving a note about spamming here however, not from me though since others will.
Thanks for your reply and thanks for the feedback as well.
Let me know how the sample works for you, I'm curious if it makes you want to read more.
And yeah, KU is great, at least its worked well for me so no complains :).
Thanks again,
Cheers
Christian

Thanks Boreas,

I'm glad you like the cover and that it give the action vibe. It's actually a depicting of a battle inside the book (which happens to be heavy on action scenes). I initially had hired an artist to do it but he wouldn't even get close to the concept I had in mind. I'm sure it doesn't matter that the cover matches an actual scene in the book for most people, but somehow it mattered to me :). So in the end, since I know computer graphics and illustration, I went with it myself. I did spend probably too much time on it though, between 100-150h of work. Fortunately I'm getting the hang of it again lately (hadn't used Photoshop and 3D programs for a while when I decided to make the artwork) and the second book (Fury to the Stars) cover took much less time to do (roughly 50h), again also depicting a scene from the book.

Love your avatar's pic, unless I'm mistaken it's from Buck Rogers right? Bidibidi :). (actually saw that show in french when I was quite young so not 100% sure the robot sound is the same in English)

Thanks again for your feedback and encouragement, as well as the link ;),
Cheers,

Christian

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Regarding The Frontiers Saga by Ryk Brown ... where do the 'Netcast' books fit in? @kenubrion @btkong ?? I own both of the Netcast books, but I'm not sure whether these should be read before or after the other books.

kenubrion

Regarding The Frontiers Saga by Ryk Brown ... where do the 'Netcast' books fit in? @kenubrion @btkong ?? I own both of the Netcast books, but I'm not sure whether these should be read before or after the other books.
Forget about them. He just went back to write them while he was being inundated with "where's episode 14?" demands. They add nothing and are moot, 1000 years obsolete, nothing to recommend them. They gave the rabid fanboys a shot during the wait but that's it. I skimmed them so I'm speaking from experience.

By the way Tom, if you try the series, don't be thrown by the first few chapters of part 1, of the set-up. Things get real hot real fast out of the blue and never let up.

Last edited:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cool, thanks. No wonder they were so cheap then. Will bear in mind what you say, but probably won't start the series just yet ... will make headway into the SF books sat in my kindle first.

btkong

Staff member

Happy SciFi reading,

Cheers,
Christian Kallias
Now that's a proper cover! One of the best ones I've seen from an Indie author! Good job and yes, it does peak the interest. Perhaps a few of us science fiction fans on the forum can give it a read and review if you send it our way.

MrMarbles

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods
I'm glad you like the cover and that it give the action vibe. It's actually a depicting of a battle inside the book (which happens to be heavy on action scenes). I initially had hired an artist to do it but he wouldn't even get close to the concept I had in mind. I'm sure it doesn't matter that the cover matches an actual scene in the book for most people, but somehow it mattered to me :). So in the end, since I know computer graphics and illustration, I went with it myself. I did spend probably too much time on it though, between 100-150h of work. Fortunately I'm getting the hang of it again lately (hadn't used Photoshop and 3D programs for a while when I decided to make the artwork) and the second book (Fury to the Stars) cover took much less time to do (roughly 50h), again also depicting a scene from the book.
Like others have mentioned the product is packaged professionally. Great cover, and your blog is similarly well put together. The story gets right to the action too, haha.

Boreas

Staff member
Love your avatar's pic, unless I'm mistaken it's from Buck Rogers right? Bidibidi . (actually saw that show in french when I was quite young so not 100% sure the robot sound is the same in English)
A+. It's Wilma Deering played by the lovely Erin Gray.

Now that's a proper cover! One of the best ones I've seen from an Indie author! Good job and yes, it does peak the interest. Perhaps a few of us science fiction fans on the forum can give it a read and review if you send it our way.
Thanks for the feedback and kind words,
Definitely, anyone who wants to read the book, give me your amazon email and I will send it as a gift (since I'm exclusive amazon that's the only way I can do it.)
Thanks,
Cheers,
Christian

rileysophie17

Possibly a Darkfriend
i am highly interested with science fiction.sometimes its gives me make fun with science or sometimes is its make me crazy with analysis. so if there any one say fiction with romance book ??

kenubrion

Darth Tater

The SF forum deserves some love. So here is my small contribution. Some of the first posts in this thread mention The Old Mans War by John Scalzi. I got the entire 6 book series for $2.99 each on a Kindle Deal a few days ago. Well worth the price. They regularly cost $8.99 and I wouldn't pay that. They are too quick reads @ that price, but actually very good, IMO, for what they are. I mean that in a good way. This is only based on one book but assuming that the quality holds.

89% of the over 2,000 Amazon ratings are 4 and 5 stars and 2/3 of these are 5's.
Nothing deep but sometimes that's what you want. A nice break right after a Guy Gavriel Kay book that goes straight to the heart. Lots of fun and looking forward to the rest. :)

Derk of Derkholm

Definitely also worth reading as we discuss John Scalzi's "Old Man's War" ... "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman...