Historic Rosetta Landing

Boreas

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member

wakarimasen

The path that thing took was just crazy, looping round all so. Kepler and Newton would have approved.
Rosetta_trajectory.jpg

Well done all us clever monkeys, but those clever monkeys in particular.

Boreas

Staff member
Studying asteroids and comets is supposed to help shed light on alternative threads of inquiry concerning the origins of life. Can you imagine what those clever monkeys would do if the probe stumbles upon this:

monolith.jpg

wakarimasen

If the Rosetta crew drill into the rock and finds complex organic molecules, of the sort that may have spawned life on earth, it'd be no less dramatic.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
If the Rosetta crew drill into the rock and finds complex organic molecules, of the sort that may have spawned life on earth, it'd be no less dramatic.
It's really easy to make complex organic molecules in the lab. This was 2/3 of my PhD work.

Boreas

Staff member
Uh oh, first image from Philae has come in:

superman villain.jpg

Doesn't bode well for Earth. I'd rather have the Monolith.

Boreas

Staff member
For a sense of scale:

rosetta asteroid size.jpg

We've landed on comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenk, but I really hope it has no plans on returning the favour.

epicfantasyfreak

Congratulations to human endeavour! The Rosetta mission finally landed a spacecraft on an asteroid just a short while ago (ca. 45-60 minutes ago).
I just noticed what you did there, missed it the first time. ;)
okay... maybe a bit less... but still. Life everywhere in the universe.
EVERYWHERE.
Let's hope they find dormant bacteria inside the thing, proving that life is nothing but a virus infecting the universe's healthy "cells." :greyalien:
We've landed on comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenk, but I really hope it has no plans on returning the favour.
I watched the landing special on the Science channel as I was falling asleep last night - didn't they say one of the reasons they selected the comet was because it had the potential to strike Earth - or was that one of the asteroid landings they'd talked about during the show? Idk, I can't recall now. . . :cry:

Boreas

Staff member
Actually, I was wondering, too, and didn't know how to respond. For a minute I thought I'd been so clever that it went over my own head.

Anyway, I got it wrong with the asteroid labeling. It's a comet, though they both have many overlapping features.

epicfantasyfreak

Anyway, I got it wrong with the asteroid labeling. It's a comet, though they both have many overlapping features.
Yeah, I know, I just had to pick on you for typing "asteroid" when the picture so clearly says "comet." ;) Can't let that one slip by. :angelic:
But asteroid, comet, dwarf planet, moon, planet - call it whatever, it's all just dust in various configurations.

Derk of Derkholm

Not exactly fitting to this thread, excuse my misappropriation. The new forum theme looks great (judging from the starting page), but it seems I now can no longer connect. Of course this might be due to a number of factors, me being in China where internet connection can be a hit-and-miss-thing, many more people using the forum, or simply much traffic.

Seems I canno longer open even a thread that I still have the link to, the browser goes on loading and loading.

Using Tapatalk to answer to a random thread, to see whether this appears on the forum. Is anybody else having similar issues, or is it just my own, isolated problem?

Regards,
Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boreas

Staff member
Not exactly fitting to this thread, excuse my misappropriation. The new forum theme looks great (judging from the starting page), but it seems I now can no longer connect. Of course this might be due to a number of factors, me being in China where internet connection can be a hit-and-miss-thing, many more people using the forum, or simply much traffic.

Seems I canno longer open even a thread that I still have the link to, the browser goes on loading and loading.

Using Tapatalk to answer to a random thread, to see whether this appears on the forum. Is anybody else having similar issues, or is it just my own, isolated problem?

Regards,
Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I had the same problem. The browser went unresponsive twice and the third time it kept loading for a long time.