House of Chains - Book 1 (Faces in the Rock)

João Ribeiro

Journeyed there and back again
So we have the entire book dedicated to Karsa and his will to slay "children.

I think he is a great character but starts off as an imbecil. I didn't start liking him until late in the book but he's gearing up to be a solid addition to the roster :).

It's a different way of telling a story from previous books but it turns out nice since we get to experience his growth in a prolonged span of pages. Once again Erikson experiments with a change in narrative.

Hand of Fear

Finished Book 1 last night and it was definitely different having it based just on one person, the only reason I can see he has done this is because he will either have a long role in the book(s) or a big part and he needed to get the ground work in for Karsa.

You can also see how he has grown/changed as a person over the course of that book, and in any sense of time scale it must has been at least a year or more between escaping and being captured so many times.

I was also pleased to read that he got quite a number of beatings, I still don't like him yet though.

Also like João Ribeiro I'm glad Fiddler is back, ahh wait sorry I mean Strings. I think I mentioned somewhere why does he feel the need to change the names of people quite often, the books can be hard enough sometimes to follow without the need to do this.

Aikura

Became a Faceless Man
I think I mentioned somewhere why does he feel the need to change the names of people quite often...
At least in the first few books, I think it's because the writing isn't subtle enough to express character development and change without a total outward transformation. :hilarious:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
At least in the first few books, I think it's because the writing isn't subtle enough to express character development and change without a total outward transformation. :hilarious:
I really think your views would change if you read more of the series. The writing is extremely subtle - even the poems at the beginning of chapters (when reading back) give the most subtle of hints of what is to come. The re-naming of characters is integral to their development - yes it adds to the complexity, but there is always a very good reason why a characters name evolves; it's in line with the story and their place in it. The perfect example for me, would be
Toc The Younger

Aikura

Became a Faceless Man
I really think your views would change if you read more of the series.
You may be right Tom, but I really think with three books I've done my dash. ;)

Hand of Fear

but I really think with three books I've done my dash.
As much as I'm enjoying this series of books I can understand where Aikura is coming from you shouldn't have to go through three/four books each of which I think are around a thousand pages before you start to like or 'get' the books.

I really enjoyed GoTM so I felt that there was more than enough for me to continue with it, I didn't really enjoy DG nearly as much but there was still something I liked from it. So again I wanted to read the next book which for me was better than the second but not as good as the first, but I still wanted to carry on and read the forth, Aikura (sorry to mention you again) hasn't really enjoyed any of them I personally wouldn't carry on either you need to like something about them and if there's nothing compelling you to read on then walkaway read something else.

I wouldn't watch three films/TV series because by the third film or series I start to like it, I shouldn't have to put myself through that. You should at least enjoy some of what you are reading or watching.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
You may be right Tom, but I really think with three books I've done my dash. ;)
Fair cop. S'pose if there's nothing that's floating your boat then it's best to find a new ship to sail (Maritime metaphor quota - tick). Sorry it wasn't for you though, I guess deep down I just want others to get as much enjoyment from Malazan as I have. I'm that way with WoT too :)

João Ribeiro

As much as I'm enjoying this series of books I can understand where Aikura is coming from you shouldn't have to go through three/four books each of which I think are around a thousand pages before you start to like or 'get' the books.
I really enjoyed GoTM so I felt that there was more than enough for me to continue with it, I didn't really enjoy DG nearly as much but there was still something I liked from it. So again I wanted to read the next book which for me was better than the second but not as good as the first, but I still wanted to carry on and read the forth, Aikura (sorry to mention you again) hasn't really enjoyed any of them I personally wouldn't carry on either you need to like something about them and if there's nothing compelling you to read on then walkaway read something else.
I totally agree with you here! And that is what "scared" me away from Wheel of Time. I mean if I wasn't enjoying the first book, then when I hit the "bad ones" it would be a chore just to plow through them. We are entitled to not like a series and walk away.

Sir Arthur

I totally agree with you here! And that is what "scared" me away from Wheel of Time. I mean if I wasn't enjoying the first book, then when I hit the "bad ones" it would be a chore just to plow through them. We are entitled to not like a series and walk away.
Ah, WoT. I wanted so bad to like that series, but had to quit half way through. Parts of it is fun, but it's so repetitive, and I could guess the ending of every book in the series I read.
Perhaps someday we'll have a WoT book club, and I can make myself feel better by posting lots of negativity about it. Because I'm certain, it's not just that I simply didn't like it, it has to be that it was so pooly written.;)

João Ribeiro

Perhaps someday we'll have a WoT book club, and I can make myself feel better by posting lots of negativity about it.
I've been musing around that same idea... but I'm trying not to think about it for now since I am only in book 4 of 16 of the MBotF series and so it may come closer to the end of 2014.... still the seed is planted :D

Hand of Fear

I've been musing around that same idea... but I'm trying not to think about it for now since I am only in book 4 of 16 of the MBotF series and so it may come closer to the end of 2014.... still the seed is planted
I'd be up for this, I have read up to book ten I think but never finished the series but would like to reread it and finish it.

Pencil me in.

João Ribeiro

I'd be up for this, I have read up to book ten I think but never finished the series but would like to reread it and finish it.
That's it, it's official, we are raving lunatics :D But game on!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I've been musing around that same idea... but I'm trying not to think about it for now since I am only in book 4 of 16 of the MBotF series and so it may come closer to the end of 2014.... still the seed is planted :D
Something in common for me with both the Erikson books and WoT: I've read everything but the last volume. So if you all start this one, I'll poke my head in every now and then and maybe join up for the last one.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
We did a book club for the last one .. the one and only book club I've participated in!

Do you have an aversion to concluding series? Concludophobia?
No, but lately I have an aversion to starting something that could be 1000+ pages, since I seem to only have time to read in little chunks these days. I remember the book club for the last one now; I read a lot of the spoilers.