House of Chains - Prologue

Hand of Fear

Journeyed there and back again
A bit of a timid opening compared to some of his other ones, and you can't really say a lot about it.

The only question I have is, the body that was found washed up onshore towards the end of MoI. Are these the same race in the opening of this book ?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Worst book in the series HoF. Quit what you were planning on doing for the next few days and just read incessantly, then you'll get it over with and get going with what is undoubtedly the best book in the series.

But regarding the prologue, I can't remember if the Karsa intro extends further than that, but it was the best part of the book as far as I can remember, by a long shot. You'll grow to love Karsa, even though he is a complete shit!

Antoxx

Worst book in the series HoF. Quit what you were planning on doing for the next few days and just read incessantly, then you'll get it over with and get going with what is undoubtedly the best book in the series.

But regarding the prologue, I can't remember if the Karsa intro extends further than that, but it was the best part of the book as far as I can remember, by a long shot. You'll grow to love Karsa, even though he is a complete shit!
Agree with Karsa, although it took me a very long time before I started to really enjoy him. Maybe until DoD or TCG (can't remember exactly when but definitely recall how awesome he is).

João Ribeiro

Ok, so a dud of a prologue here. Nothing compared with the thrills of the prologue in MoI. This was more of a "let's get on with it". Karsa was not in the prologue I think his story "starts" in Book one.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Man, that doesnt sound good :eek:

Ok, so a dud of a prologue here.
Have to agree.

P.S. I hate Karsa.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Yeah, Karsa Orlong is my favorite Malazan character, along with Fiddler.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
You'll come to love him :D
Maybe. Right now (150 pages in) he's just a stupid big oaf of a man toblakai. I can't stand stupid characters.

Yeah, Karsa Orlong is my favorite Malazan character, along with Fiddler.
Hmm, he must go through some serious transformation, seeing how you all react to him.
Fiddler is also among my favorites, along with Kalam and Quick Ben.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had the same reaction at the time. Give it some more time (and books).
Yeah I thought he was pretty awesome too; but then again I kinda liked him from the get go. No character in the series quite compares to Tehol though, he was the standout character by a long shot for me. And just think, @Alucard hasn't even met him yet ... Malazan really is so epic :)

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member

Khartun

Maybe. Right now (150 pages in) he's just a stupid big oaf of a man toblakai. I can't stand stupid characters.

Hmm, he must go through some serious transformation, seeing how you all react to him.
Fiddler is also among my favorites, along with Kalam and Quick Ben.
His is one of the best story arcs in the whole series IMO.

Erikson is supposed to be writing a Karsa trilogy sometime in the future. I can't wait for that!