How about another Brandon Sanderson thread? Would anyone like one? Here we go! Pros and Cons!

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by SaranderBrander, Apr 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SaranderBrander

SaranderBrander A Muggle

I like Brandon Sanderson. I like his writing. So many strong points, and I want YOU to tell me what other author does these things so well.
    * complex systems of magic akin to what we observe in the nature of our own world, with clues for the reader to guess at their limits and rules.
    * collaboration and approaching writing like software development, checking story continuity with lots of helpers who keep it all tight and hide layers and layers of clues to a larger backstory
    * tying together lots of different settings and cultures into a shared universe
    * misdirection, clever betrayals, and the rewarding feeling of noticing clues early on in a story that matter at the climax
    * political ambiguity, religious discovery

Then I think there are some weaknesses in his writing that are worth exploring, and wondering about whether he'll evolve past them in future novels.
    * Adult discussion of sexual relationships. Or even any complexities of romantic relationships. Sure there are emotions between couples in his novels but they're so simple compared to what most readers have been through in our boring, non-fantastic lives, ha ha ha!
    * Sometimes he tries to tell jokes or set up a bit of humor. I've never laughed. I believe someone does though, so maybe he's not so terrible at adding a little comedy. What seems to be missing though is the extremity of a character's failure being played against their expectations for laughs. Sanderson's tragic moments are wonderful and epic to me. But why is his comedy then so weak? Isn't tragedy practically a prerequisite?
    * The formula! After reading Elantris - The Reckoners series - The Rithmatist - then all the Mistborn books, I couldn't help but feel like there were so many distinct similarities in the structure of each that a pathological reflex kicked in and I wrote my own short novel in abusive mimicry. THE ANNOYOMANCER, a parody of the Mistborn series.

Uh oh, I'm doing it again, violating the rule of forum club that says don't promote your ebook in a thread where people might see it! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

What's more important though, is that I'm considering doing it again, writing a parody of "The Stormlight Archive" series. Writing more, writing better, writing clever, and for that I can't just be in a vacuum. I'm joining about 20 various Fantasy literature forums like this one with the intent of continued participation in discussion after discussion about Brandon Sanderson and how readers interpret his work, love it, hate it, or 'meh' it!

So, here's a start to what'll be a nice new Brandon Sanderson thread! I really hope to see some replies from people who totally think he sucks and want to throw down all the things they hated about whatever book they sampled! I wish to learn, and to suck even harder!

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Mission accomplished.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. SaranderBrander

SaranderBrander A Muggle

I'll not rest easy on my plastic dollar-store laurels. The mission won't end until I'm awash in criticism. I've learned from the writing process that Annoying is more than just an art, it's magic!

4. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

You don't need to parody Stormlight. They do it to themselves.

5. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Or I press the 'ban' button. Consider this a polite notice.

6. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

A rare sight indeed, for Tom to unlimber Burn's Hammer.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TomTB

Maybe I should've put a winky face ... of course I wouldn't ban someone for being annoying .. heavily edit, possibly .. ban, no.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

I should add anagrams to the thread about things you hate fantasy authors doing. I hate anagrams, particularly if they form nonsense. They aren't clever even when done right.

9. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

Can only think of "I am Lord Voldemort" = Tom Marvolo Riddle

10. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

How does a fantasy author (or anyone for that matter) can even think he'll win people over by being annoying?
    People are weird man.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Especially being annoying on every forum I'm trying to browse today (except one who probably have banned him given their self promo guidelines). Dude, many of us are on and off many of them and there's nothing more irksome than being inundated on them.

(It will also only harm your booksales - I for one won't even look at your book now where a single self promo thread might well have led to a look inside at least)

• Like Like x 1
  12. TomTB

I'll bet anyone 25 credits that we won't see @SaranderBrander back again.

Come on .. put your, erm, credits where your mouth is!

13. Darwin

I originally decided not to post this, because I thought it was too insulting...But I'll write it for the lols anyway:

This post is why fantasy nerds make bad meth-heads.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

In general? Or just in literature?
    Tokyo and Kyoto is a good one.
    In literature it's common in the mysteries I have read, and lots of thrillers and some paranormal sci-fi s.

But fantasy...i can only think of the one you gave, the OPs screen name, and a couple of parodies.

15. Darwin

Classic Everquest had a bunch of silly names, mostly just things spelled in reverse. One of the human cities was Qeynos (Sony EQ backwards), and the lizard people were all named Allize Volew or Allize Tae Ew (We love zilla and we eat zilla). There were plenty of better anagrams, though. Felwithe, a high elf city, = white elf. "The Rathe" Council in Plane of Earth = The Earth. Xegony from Plane of Air = Oxygen, E'ci = ice, Povar = vapor, Fennin Ro = inferno (sort of), Tunare = nature, Veeshan = heavens... etc.

Maybe not so impressive here, but I remember it blowing my mind when I found out.

16. SaranderBrander

SaranderBrander A Muggle

Maybe a mod should change the thread title to About Anagrams? Pretty interesting stuff! I'm actually really disappointed in myself, because I feel like I should know where Brandon Sanderson must secretly be employing at least one anagram in the portions of his novels that contain Cosmere crossover clues. I feel like there's an example on the tip of my brain but it's just not shakin' out. He said in an interview that there are Worldhoppers that most readers haven't spotted yet. Yeah, anagrams might be cheap and silly sometimes, but it's very cool of Darwin here to be pointing out some serviceable examples.

Whether its discussion of Sanderson, anagrams, or annoying self-promotion, I'm happy to join in the conversation! I've never had much reason to visit online forums in the past but I see it should be an enjoyable pastime for the present future.

Hey jo zebedee! I probably find this funnier than you do, but so far I've only gotten to 07 out of 23 forums I'm slated to join and annoy! So I guess you'll read more of my prattle soon. I'll try and keep it from getting too repetitive. I swear I'll never cut n' paste! No worries if it's put you off from checking out my Mistborn parody. That's fair and thanks for saying!

PS TomTB, you're gonna share some of those credits you win on your bet, right? ;)

PPS Being a smug druggler is legal in some states.

17. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

The people who say that there is no such thing as bad marketing are marketing morons, thought you'll probably benefit from an early bird access to this tiny bit of wisdom. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

For all its faults (and there were many) this anagram in the Da Vinci Code was pretty awesome :

O, Draconian devil! Oh, lame saint!

Which was a hint written in the blood of a murder victim on the floor of the Louvre. It was left for professor Langdon with the intent to point the professor to another clue hidden behind a certain painting:

Leonardo da Vinci! The Mona Lisa!

19. SaranderBrander

SaranderBrander A Muggle

Oh, now I remember, of course! A thread on another forum turned into a chat about Piers Anthony. I remember in his "Incarnations of Immortality" series, Satan goes around calling himself "Natasha", and the obvious question "Why does this guy have a girl's name?" covers up the slightly less obvious backwards spelling. It worked for me. Good reveal, then in the next book he tells the same story from the antagonist's perspective.

Satan / Natasha seems like it might be used elsewhere too. Googling it. Of course. And oh yeah, how many people's first D&D character was a barbarian called "Nanoc"?

20. Matticus Primal

Matticus Primal Became a Faceless Man

Does Alacard count as an anagram since it's just backwards?