How about another Brandon Sanderson thread? Would anyone like one? Here we go! Pros and Cons!

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by SaranderBrander, Apr 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

I never played any Castlevania, so any reference to that I will not get :)
    As for accents Hellsing family is English, the setting is England, Seras is English as well, so it makes sense to have some English accent for her.

That being said, English is not my native tongue and neither is Japanese. They are the same as related to me, foreign languages. So it never made sense to watch anime in English for easier, more natural experience. If I have to watch it in a foreign language, I would then rather do it in original. Plus I've been reading subtitles on TV since I was 5. Everything foreign was subbed, so I never encountered difficulty in reading subs and watching, as many of my English and American friends did. They often complained about it, not being able to follow a video and read subs at the same time. For them it made a lot of sense watching it in their native tongue.
    So I never encountered that cockney accent. Plus Alucard's japanese voice is deep, sexy and menacing. A perfect fit. I think it's way nicer than english one (I've heard some clips of it).

2. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Yeah, I get that it's set here but why is she of all our accents a bladdy cawkney. It makes me cry inside. I'll add that I'm watching the dub of Ultimate because I watched the sub of Classic and wanted to see the contrast. She sounds like bladdy Tracer, lav.

3. Alucard

Maybe they wanted to make a contrast between Seras and Integra. One being a working class gal and other being aristocrat.

I like all accents. I don't think I would mind at all. Japanese also put accents sometimes. I can't remember who it was or which anime but I recall a character having Kansai accent. It's fun to break it up a bit.

4. Maark Abbott

Mmm, makes sense. The dub also has a very stereotypical 'land of chocolate' style German voice being used, which in all honesty made me laugh.

5. afa

afa Journeyed there and back again

I never noticed that!

My username is kind of the same thing, too. It's 'afa' backwards.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

I never noticed that either.
    Thought it was simply a reference to the anime.

[​IMG]

7. Derk of Derkholm

Please do make up your mind! Is it an anagram or simply a palindrome???

8. Alucard

My username is inspired by Hellsing. However, I'm pretty sure Kouta Hirano (author and artist of Hellsing manga) knew what he was doing when he gave his main character that name. The character's past plays into that reference quite strongly, which one can find out if you read the manga or watch Hellsing Ultimate.
    However since Japanese have a hard time pronouncing L sound, Alucard is written and pronounced in Japan like 'Arukado' and Hellsing is pronounced as 'Herushingu'. So Japanese would have a hard time seeing that wordplay as easily as English speakers do. Bit of a bummer considering a Japanese person came up with it lol
    On top of it they write and pronounce Dracula as Dorakyura.

We can conclude that English wordplays don't really translate well to Japanese lol

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Derk of Derkholm

Yes, it certainly does make a lot of sense. Like most simple things do, once somebody helps you to figure them out :)

10. Maark Abbott

It's pretty common in Japanese media involving vampires - we have Alucard in C:SOTN, Rachel Alucard out of BlazBlue... The list goes on.

And yeah I saw Ep13 of Classic. That 'tache he had was GLORY incarnate. It's kind of a shame that Ultimate relied so much on sharkfacing for comedy moments - I felt it detracted from the overall feel of the series.

11. Alucard

Idk I prefer Ultimate. Original Hellsing is kinda corny. Ultimate sticks pretty close to the manga, and since I am a manga fan first and foremost I prefer Ultimate version.
    Same with Fullmetal Alchemist. I rank Brotherhood way above the original.

12. Maark Abbott

It's enjoyable, sure, I just find that the sharkfacing detracts somewhat from the overall mood. It's the same issue I have with Drifters - the sudden, jarring art shifts pull me out of the story and I don't tend to like that.

Although the ending to that one episode of Ultimate where that mercenary dude is chasing Seras about and she has speech bubbles with typical Britishisms like 'wanker!' floating about had me in stitches.