How Big is your TBR Pile ?

Hand of Fear

Journeyed there and back again
I have about six books in my TBR (not that many I know) but yet I still want to buy more books even though I haven't read the ones I have already got, does anyone have any idea behind the psychology of this ?

As you can only really read one book at a time, more than one would just confuse things for me.

Antoxx

I have about six books in my TBR (not that many I know) but yet I still want to buy more books even though I haven't read the ones I have already got, does anyone have any idea behind the psychology of this ?

As you can only really read one book at a time, more than one would just confuse things for me.
I'm the wrong one to ask here. I've got serious issues! :)

Amaryllis

My TBR pile is constantly in flux. Some books, I just put down because I don't like them, like I bought them on recommendation, or was giddy because I had been looking for them for awhile and finally saw them and snatched them up without putting them through The Exam (which is reading the first chapter and seeing if it appeals to me or turns me off). Don't feel bad about wanting to buy new books, unless you're in a situation where you'd be forgoing meals or something in order to afford them. As long as you aren't just buying them 'to have them.'

Currently, I think I have 3 books in my TBR pile. I have plenty more I just haven't read, and don't intend to. But you never know. Things might change. I had Locke Lamora for like 3 or 4 years, and put it down like 50 pages in, then one day I picked it up and just read it.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just measured it. 17 and a quarter inches. (not including kindle books, obviously!)

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Wow, there I was thinking I kept a leash on my buying habits...
I've got over 50 books in my Tbr-pile, I don't know the exact number, I'm afraid to count them.
all of them will be read.
Except Ulyssus. shit on that book.

Arya Stark

I have about 15 I can think of of the top of my head. @amar

Arya Stark

Damned phone....I was going to say Amaryllis the exam seems a bit unfair. I loved the first law trilogy but the first half of Gloktas first chapter I almost put the book down and not look back. I'm glad I continued reading. It just seemed unfair. And besides... there's several chapters throughout ASOIAF that make me not want to keep reading because they are sooo boring. Like Dany's. I hate Dany.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
EXACTLY! I couldn't stand those chapters. And it's a while since I read it so can't be too specific, but that Prince chap who lived in the desert down South - his chapters (and associated ones) were pretty dull. In fact, I seem to remember thinking there was no point to them whatsoever and could have been missed out altogether with no detriment to the book. I liked the Arya ones the best! (which I'm guessing you did too??)

Arya Stark

Yes! Even after he got burned I was like meh
. I can't wait to see how Arya turns out. She has the most tumultuous struggles of everyone!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Damned phone....I was going to say Amaryllis the exam seems a bit unfair. I loved the first law trilogy but the first half of Gloktas first chapter I almost put the book down and not look back. I'm glad I continued reading. It just seemed unfair. And besides... there's several chapters throughout ASOIAF that make me not want to keep reading because they are sooo boring. Like Dany's. I hate Dany.
The problem with Dany seems to be that she's one of those characters GRRM has big plans for (you know, dragons and all), and he doesn't want us to forget about her, and so we are treated to endless discussions of her impractical clothes, whom she's going to marry, and eating figs and dates in ADWD. I really didn't hate her until the 5th book.

Arya Stark

All I'm going to say is if she dies I'll jump for joy!

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I have about 200 books on my Kindle and I don't leave books on it that I have already read. I have a few paperbacks left too. Maybe I'll contest them away for the site since I'm pretty much all digital now.

Win a signed book by forum legend L3gacy! Click here to tweet about BFB.com! :rolleyes:

Antoxx

I have about 200 books on my Kindle and I don't leave books on it that I have already read. I have a few paperbacks left too. Maybe I'll contest them away for the site since I'm pretty much all digital now.

Win a signed book by forum legend L3gacy! Click here to tweet about BFB.com! :rolleyes:
Click where? And you should have said "self-professed forum legend!". :)

Sir Arthur

The problem with Dany seems to be that she's one of those characters GRRM has big plans for (you know, dragons and all), and he doesn't want us to forget about her, and so we are treated to endless discussions of her impractical clothes, whom she's going to marry, and eating figs and dates in ADWD. I really didn't hate her until the 5th book.
Oh, c'mon, a dress with your left boob out is totally practical.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Dany was one of my least favourite characters in the book. Surprisingly, she was one of my favourite characters in the tv adaptation!
I think they had to add some stuff to her parts to make them more interesting.

Like the whole thing about the dragons getting kidnapped in Season 2.

Darth Tater

I have a TBR list and being new around here, I also have a TBRT list (with the last T standing for the word " Thread). :D I don't even have any idea how many are on THAT list.

My TBR list consists of different series I want to read and I also count each book I have remaining in each particular series. :woot:

I have 28 books on my list. That list consists of 4 stand alone, 4 series I haven't started ( total of 14 books between them) and 10 more books that I need to read to complete the series I've started. Then The Stormlight series where I could probably add 9 more books but I'm only counting the next one which comes out in March.

I used to read only one series at a time but with Ben's list I'm now able to make my own list with my book future in sight.

I didn't think I would ever be able to read more that one or two series at a time but I really like it because it is fun to return to " old friends" after not seeing them for 2 or 3 months ( sometimes longer) . It reduces risks of boredom for me. I thought I would forget a lot of stuff but I don't. The books do a great job of catching you up.