How Big is your TBR Pile ?

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
I don't know, how many books have been written so far?

Bierschneeman

in fantasy I have over 500 books,
scif fi, 500 books,
mystery. the works of Agatha Christie, and Sherlock holmes, (20? 40?)
philosophy and humanitarian, 24
beer sciences, 53
history 76
horror 3
classic fiction ......2000 if its 1000

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
scif fi, 500 books,
beer sciences, 53
history 76
horror 3
You seriously have over 3000 books in your TBR list? Best get crackin' (and possibly give up sleepin') !!

Bierschneeman

You seriously have over 3000 books in your TBR list? Best get crackin' (and possibly give up sleepin') !!
yeah, I have most of it written down somewhere, and some of that is me copying down lists like, Noble prize winning books, or BBC's Big Read.
or I have every book from every series from this site written down, plus a few others

and Yes I did the math, at one book a week I will be over 100 before I finish, I don't expect to finish this.
this is also why I get so incredibly angry when I read a bad book. that means one less good book I get to read in my life.

Last edited:

Darth Tater

scif fi, 500 books,
beer sciences, 53
history 76
horror 3
Absolutely incredible! :wideyed:

How in the world do you decide which book to read next??

Griffin

That is just insane @Bierschneeman, good luck with that! :p
As for myself, according to Goodreads there are about 119 books on my TBR pile, but considering that I've not added every single book I want to read I'm guessing it reaches well above 150.

Bierschneeman

Absolutely incredible! :wideyed:

How in the world do you decide which book to read next??
its as simple as it is complicated....I have lists. I file them in my filing cabinet (which has a folder each for retirement, insurance, taxes, warranty/user guides, book lists, and then many folders for old poems and chapters of my books.)

for each list theres an order, Philosphy is a good example, I decided one day " I want to readup on philosophy" But where do I start.. so I looked up philosphers, and jumped from one to the next picking the ones I am most likely to enjoy, and made a list chronologically, resulting in 24 books or manuscripts, from plato and Socrates (or whatever Greek and Minoan philosphers are on the list first, Id have to look) to Karl Marx (the last philosopher to have any real effect on the world and have followers of his teachings... "philosophy is dead, and its up to Quantum Physics to pick up the burden of the old questions"~ Stephen Hawkings)

for Science fiction I decided I was going to start from the beginning....Mary Shelley's Frankenstein....maybe some of her other works depending on how I like it, but from there moving on to Jules Verne and going year to year on my arduously sized list through all the greats.

Fantasy, I jump from one to the next usually doing authors in chronological order (for instance I am paused on Harry Potter before I started book 6, paused on Michael Moorcock before finishing the Michael Kane of Old Mars Trilogy so I can focus on "Emperor's Blades" By Brian Steveley

for classics, I have MANY lists, like the aforementioned BBC's Big Read and I will jump around A LOT, but never skip around on an authors chronological list...so If I come upon .....Dickens last novel for instance...I will have to wait until I finish the rest before moving forward with the Big Read List. (I am currently on his third novel)

that's it....beyond that, its kind of random which list I pull a book from next.

João Ribeiro

Basically my 2014 TBR pile has MBotF, Words of Radiance, Skin Game, WoT...
Realistically I don't know if I can even finish that by the end of the year so I'm not planning any further than that.

Khartun

Basically my 2014 TBR pile has MBotF, Words of Radiance, Skin Game, WoT...
Realistically I don't know if I can even finish that by the end of the year so I'm not planning any further than that.
That is basically exactly mine with the exception of Skin Game. I'm currently about 75 pages from finishing Deadhouse Gates. I may take breaks from the big series to read some stuff like Black Company or Heroes Die.

Darth Tater

I have a TBR list but also now have a tentative schedule of which books I'm going to read and when from now until January 2015.

I've got a few different series going at one time and it's helping me space them out properly especially in cases where I'm waiting for the next book to be published in a given series.

I know I'm OCD but I think I'm getting worse. :wacky:

Hand of Fear

I've been trying to whittle down my TBR pile which was just getting bigger and bigger, think it went up to elven not a big TBR pile I know but I'm down to about nine now I think and I haven't bought any new books for awhile.

Darth Tater

scif fi, 500 books,
beer sciences, 53
history 76
horror 3
I slip in a mystery after every few fantasy books these days but the mystery series I was reading got ridiculous so I'm moving on to Agatha Christie.

I read one of her books as a kid but probably will appreciate her more now. I picked a title that looked interesting to read after I complete WoR. I own a kindle and yesterday an ad popped up featuring a few of her books for $1,99 each. She's written 66 detective novels but lucky me. My title was one of the five listed.

Incidentally, I've owned a kindle for 3 months. I love it and as a bonus it had saved me $20.00 already just on the five books I've purchased. It will pay for itself very quickly.

sopranosfan

Thirty Nine... I have been busy since March 30th when my TBR was 8, and the sad thing is I have probably read those and now have 39 more. Plus, I still have to buy 6 more Malazan books not including the Esslemont ones that I need to begin researching and working in.

sopranosfan

119. Yes I said 119 and that's not including books my wife owns that I want to read like NOS 4A2 or books I want to reread like The Dark Tower series. It's the HPB outlet near me that causes it. How do you not buy a paperback for $0.50 or their recent sale where every book in the store was $1? I have basically pieced together a lot of series for less than the price of one book that way.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
YIKES !! 8 .... to 39 .... to 119 !!!!!!!!!!!! I'd need to build an extension on my home if I had that many books lying around!