How Do You Process What You Read?

Cyphon

Journeyed there and back again
So I was doing some reading today and at some point I stopped for a second to think about what I was reading and how I was taking it in. I came to (what I think) is an interesting realization. I mostly process what I read almost like a computer would. I am getting the information and and it activates an algorithm in my head and processes it all in either negative or positive feelings. What I mean is, if there is a fight scene or characters interacting I don't have this detailed image of what is going on like I am watching a movie in my mind. It all just comes in as 0's and 1's if you will, and my mind determines if I enjoyed it or not. I thought it was an oddly clinical way to be enjoying an art form but there you have it.

So it made me curious, is anyone else like this or as you all read are you basically seeing scenes play out like a movie in your mind? For me it almost feels like The Giver where as the boy was gaining memories he would get flashes of color and sensation in his black and white world. Every once in awhile I will stop and remember that I am reading about a girl wearing red or some such, but generally speaking it just isn't processing like that.

rudyjuly2

I don’t think of it that analytically. I guess I picture the things that are going on in my head. The background and scenery are probably things I don’t visualize. I struggle to visualize in detail what is happening but I usually form pictures in my mind of the characters. And I often pick faces out of movies or TV shows that I think match the characters in the book. I get annoyed when an author doesn’t describe the characters in at least some detail - age, tall or short, thin or not, dark or light skinned, colour of hair, pretty/handsome or not, strong or weak, etc. I personally would like character sketches of them in the book to help visualize myself.

GreyMouser

I visualize most of what I'm reading but don't have as much control of how things look as I would like. For instance, I'm reading the Light bringer series and I started picturing Gavin as this goofy guy with long 1980s hair and a funny mustache. I keep consciously changing it but while I'm reading it always goes back.

afa

It all just comes in as 0's and 1's if you will, and my mind determines if I enjoyed it or not.
I guess now we know why you don't like Abercrombie; the books weren't written for bots... :p

So it made me curious, is anyone else like this or as you all read are you basically seeing scenes play out like a movie in your mind?
I'm definitely the latter. This, along with my tendency for sub-vocalization, is the main reason why it takes me quite long to finish a book.

The book is basically one very long movie in my head. For some scenes, like conversations and such, it will be more a series of images with slight movements corresponding to what's happening (kind of like a GIF), but more engaging scenes, including but not limited to action, are a video. I go full on with the dramatization, with expressions, tears, laughter, sweat, heavy breathing, different accents, blood splattering from sword slashes, even a rousing musical score playing in the background. The works. I've made some of the best movies you'll ever see in my head. Oscars galore.

Cyphon

I guess now we know why you don't like Abercrombie; the books weren't written for bots... :p
Wouldn't the more tedious works like his translate better in 0's and 1's? Either way I guess for me it just does not compute.

I'm definitely the latter. This, along with my tendency for sub-vocalization, is the main reason why it takes me quite long to finish a book.

The book is basically one very long movie in my head. For some scenes, like conversations and such, it will be more a series of images with slight movements corresponding to what's happening (kind of like a GIF), but more engaging scenes, including but not limited to action, are a video. I go full on with the dramatization, with expressions, tears, laughter, sweat, heavy breathing, different accents, blood splattering from sword slashes, even a rousing musical score playing in the background. The works. I've made some of the best movies you'll ever see in my head. Oscars galore.
Honestly this sounds awesome and I wish I had the patience for it. Even though I don't, I am still quick to critique movie adaptions for not fitting my vision of them lol.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I do visualise in most cases. Scenes are played like a diaroma, a comic book, a set of paintings, a movie scene or even a computer game (for instance, visualising battles helps when I see it as a Total War battle > Rome 2 for Malazan, Medieval 2 for Prince of Nothing etc). The characters from the books are based on fan-art, faces from actors etc.

Some books though I do tend to process as pure data, like Cyphon does. Especially when there's a lot of exposition / information dumps.