How has reading fantasy has changed your life?

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
What are the real world applications that you have utilised from you reading?

serious answers are welcome, but mine isn't :p

- when i go running and i'm getting tired i tell myself that if was in a fantasy book i would suck at the travel part and get left behind. Or i think that if i was in lotr Pippin and Merry would be long gone and eaten by orcs by now. :p it makes me run harder (for awhile anyway)

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Became the admin and main contributor to bestfantasybooks.com !

I think my vocab has definitely increased.

Being a bit silly, when talking to stupid people I was Arya was by my side to stick them with the pointy end

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
My vocabulary has increased substantially and I'm working towards my goal of being a published fantasy writer.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
My vocabulary has increased substantially and I'm working towards my goal of being a published fantasy writer.

I wish I could publish! Actually, I need to write mine! Alas, I don't think I could do it anytime soon, school, this blog, my tech blog...I just have no time.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Well, I guess I started my blog (which hasn't been about fantasy at all, lately, though). I started writing my own manuscripts. I got more involved in book-related stuff in general (including being a pest on Amazon, joining the Harriet Klausner Appreciation Society, etc.).

moonspawn

I wish I could publish! Actually, I need to write mine! Alas, I don't think I could do it anytime soon, school, this blog, my tech blog...I just have no time.
I understand how you feel. I'm working.... slowly towards my goals. As of now I don't know if I'll be able to get published. Still experimenting with my style. Lately I've been working hard on creating tension and highly emotional conflict.

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
Wow, I haven't honestly thought over just how Fantasy has impacted my life. Though I still consider Fantasy and Fiction in general as simply a medium for entertainment...Now that I think about it though- I feel that I owe a lot to reading.

Firstly, reading inspired me to become and improve as a writer. Presently writing is something I do almost as regularly as reading, and I am glad to say that Writing (and Reading) have pleasured me with many hours of entertainment.

Secondly, Reading and Writing (as a hobby) have directly improved my Vocabulary, Writing, and Reading Comprehension. In addition to the previous statements, I've spent countless hours throughout the day thinking over the works I've read and am writing. (Of course jamming to music while doing so.)

Thirdly, reading was a huge factor in helping me overcome my anxiety without the use of therapy and drugs. It essentially defined what I do with my pass time. (Besides regular exercise.) So in that regard it has reading has greatly impacted my life.

Finally, reading and writing have given me a connection by which to join many communities and meet other people. Joining this community, for example, is something I view as a very positive direct result of reading, and I value that greatly.

Oh and of course there's the fact I've drained my entire checking account (About a thousand dollars.) on my book collection. Books (with the exception of school books) are the entertainment medium I've spent by far the most of my money on. Fortunately for me, I have two of the best libraries in my entire state merely miles from each other- so I can still continue my readings.

Hikerike

Owns a Ring of Power
Helped me get an above average understanding of the english language compared to other people my age. Countless hours of entertainment.
I think this forum changed my life more than reading fantasy, i guess being part of a community helped me embrace my inner nerd in real life :)

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
hahah my inner nerd has consumed me!
I get paid to be a nerd...(well, people who are NOT nerds don't stay in school for as long as I did).

Zarien

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
I think for many of us vocabulary is the most obvious benefit. If I had never become a reader of fantasy and science fiction I don't believe I would have done as well in school or have made it as far as I have now either. After reading so many books I feel like I have a better perspective when introduced with matters outside of normal daily activity as well. Fantasy helped me cope with some of the more lonely hours when I served in the Air Force as well.

Hand of Fear

I have thought about this for awhile and I wouldn't say Fantasy has changed my life as such, but during some difficult times throughout my life they have helped me.

For example if a person in a book was having a hard time of it, I could relate to that person or I have read some paragraphs that have summed up how I was feeling at that time.

moonspawn

Steven Erickson, Brandon Sanderson, and George Martin have changed my life more than any other authors. These guy's have really helped me to expand my mind in respect with what can be done with fiction.