How many of you can ride a horse?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by rudyjuly2, Jul 1, 2017.

?

Can you ride a horse?

1. Yes! Like the wind!

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. No unless you count pony rides as kids.

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  1. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 A Poet of the Khaiem

Given the fantasy genre, horses are the main form of transportation. Yet I have never truly ridden a horse. Pony rides as a kid don't count. There may be a dude ranch where I could pay to ride (and learn to ride) a horse around here but I don't even know.

Funny thing is my cousin had a horse when I was a kid. We went over there and my brother fell off (at 2mph) and I decided that large beast wasn't for me lol. I did grow up on a farm but no livestock and my cousin got rid of that horse not too long after. But I think it would be cool to ride a horse with good speed and hopefully not break my neck.

2. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I can't, but I'd really like to. I did ride some horses in the past, but that was more of a "sit on a docile nag that follows the guide's horse in front". Doesn't really count. The only trick is to not fall off.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

What a wonderfully random thread :)

I've ridden a horse once. Hated it. Have never felt an inclination to do so since.

I've told my daughter that horses eat little girls. It's an expensive hobby I don't want her to get involved with.

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

In fairness, when I was a kid (preschool age, so maybe 3 or 4) we went to a farm. The horses nibbled on my hair a bit.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Yeah. I have a few times. Never enjoyed it. Once you get the bounce rythm down your butt doesn't get sore and your teeth stop rattling. I don't like those animals and they don't particularly like me either (perceptive creatures, huh:D?. Damn. When you're on them you really realize what behemoths they are. And the bastards bite too!

When my first girlfriend got me to go with her I had to act like I was experienced to the workers so they gave me some psycho huge horse and when that thing took off I was like...:eek: I listened to someone and so I knew how to start the thing moving but had no idea how to stop it. I went again around 3-4 times over the years because of women. When the guys (or girls) at the stable asked if I was experienced I forever after told them " This is my first time and I haven't got a clue what to do". :bag:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

I'm like Sliv. I can't but I would love to.
    My grandad had a horse, so when I was a kid I would sit on her and grandad would walk her around slowly. I was always scared. Little Alucard didn't know how to enjoy the experience.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

A girlfriend had a couple horses and we rode quite a bit. Then I went to work for her father on his farm/ranch. Lots of cows and I saddled a horse every morning and drove them from one pasture to another. But I don't like them, they have attitude and know they are bigger than you. When I first started riding I failed to adequately cinch the saddle and it rolled and dumped me when we were moving at a good clip. Got lucky and I wasn't hurt. They will inhale deeply when you cinch them so the saddle will be looser. You need to knee them in the side as you pull the cinch strap to force the air from their lungs. They're mean and they're smart. But they taste good. A lot of good eatin on one of them.

8. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 A Poet of the Khaiem

Just like the WOT - always mentioned in there to make the horse exhale to tighten the saddle. I do wonder how much research authors do about animals, farming in the past and routines or armies.

9. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I often wonder about this too. Especially things like weapons, swashbuckling, warfare etc. I have all kinds of ideas on sword fighting, which I'm sure would get me killed in no time. Add to that all the pointed descriptions of vintage revolvers, grenade launchers and all kinds of crazy weapons in Skin Game (Dresden Files) I've just read and I'd be prepared for the apocalypse. :D
    On another note. I'm sure that in a life and death scenario many people would inadvertently try to use the knowledge they have from books, films and video games. The question then is: how much of it is genuine research and how much of it is author's imagination?

10. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Reluctantly made a Warden of the White Council

Oh, I've read plenty of Horses...in Lord of the Rings Online and Skyrim :p

and yeah, I've probably went on some horse ride at the san diego zoo. I also remember riding an element and...I think a Camel, although I could be wrong about the Camel. I remember being so afraid that I was gonna fall off the elephant too, but a friend of mine convinced me that it was so fun. And you know what? It was! I don't know how they stopped idiot kids who tried to stand up from falling off however.

11. Cyphon

Cyphon Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I have ridden horses a few times. When I was younger my friend had horses and I rode them once or twice. Came to a small creek at some point and the horse jumped it without my knowing it was going to happen and that scared the hell out of me.

As an adult I have ridden horses on 2 more occasions. Once in Oregon we rode them along a beach and up through some trails and again in Costa Rica through some towns and then on a beach. Also got to actually wade into the ocean with them which was really cool.

Here is the thing though, it always sounds romantic and fun but it is actually kind of shitty. It hurts and loses its luster about a half hour or so into the process. Still, if you have never tried it I would say it is worth it for the experience. They are incredibly powerful animals and you only truly know the extent of it when you are on one IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

When I first rode you could do about anything you wanted to (which is why I got myself in over my head). But now, many of those places here have closed down or restrict what you can do. Lawsuits, labilty insrance costs, etc.

13. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

I road quite a bit when I was a young child, but the only time I sped up past a walk was in a riding ring. When riding on trails, the horse was always walking. Trotting/cantering were for safe spaces. I dated a girl in college who owned a horse, but we only ever took him into a riding ring also.

I suspect that few people alive today have much experience with the type of horsemanship we read about in our favorite fantasy books. Forget galloping down an opponent on the battlefield, what about just trying to cover as much ground as possible over several weeks? I would love to travel across the country on horseback with my wife, camping and riding. After a few months of regular practice/training, I mean. And with decent food and a shower, occasionally.

14. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I spent a week on what was called a 'Pony-Trekking' holiday in Wales with some friends over 40 years ago. The stables sent us some booking forms in advance, and one of a group of four had his booking cancelled because they 'weren't going to allow anyone that heavy even on their largest horse'. (They were, right, a couple of years later he broke 25 stone, and kept on growing, mostly sideways rather than up). The other three of us went, and they put us on full-sized horses - and those beast damned well knew who was in charge, and it wasn't me!
    Never again!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

I have exactly one experience of trying to ride - with my friends - their horse that had not been ridden before when I was 13. Not one of my best ideas, in hindsight.

The horse was about a year old, definitely big enough, we had no saddle, so we just thought we'd try to climb on top and sit on it. To make a long story short, the horse was not amused and used its size advantage and teeth to pursue me over the meadow and ran over me when I tripped (I was told before that horses would never step on a person lying on the floor - but it seems that horse had not gotten the memo).

So what I had to show for it was a valuable experience and two missing front teeth.

The lesson I learned was to stick to iron "horses" consuming gasoline or (human) muscle power from that moment on, no major problem with any of these ...

• Like Like x 1
  16. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

A horse trod on your face????? Suppose it's a story to tell the kids ;)

17. Theophania

Theophania Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I used to ride. Used to have lessons. Couldn't exactly 'ride like the wind', but I was decently competent up to an including a gallop, and some jumping. Fell off once, at a gallop. The trick is to know you're going to go, and go when you choose to! And get back on afterwards...

18. ABatch

ABatch Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Well, there's riding a horse, and there's riding a horse, isn't there? Yes, I can sit on a horse, and get him/her to move where I want, etc., but I don't really have the rise and fall of it down.

19. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Once, and hopefully never again, it was awful!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

Sort of off topic, but does it stand out to anyone else as odd that horses, rabbits, and wolves seem at home in worlds that include all sorts of fantasy creatures? I suppose its just easier than inventing something more interesting to do the same job.