How Much Money Do You Spend on Books !?

Hand of Fear

Journeyed there and back again
Do you keep track on how much money you have spent on books since you started reading, or how much do spend on average in year on them ?

I've been looking at my Amazon account recently and I was surprised at how much I actually spent, have you started spending more money on them since Kindles and Ereaders have come out ?

Be good to hear your views on this :)

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Yea was talking to a friend about this. I don't consider books an 'expense' so when i don't like to tally it. Last 2 months, close to 100 probs. I buy way more now i can read on my phone .. ebooks few

moonspawn

I pay however much the book costs. No more. No less. On a side note I try to get the best deals on books I can. :) Most of the books I read are from the library anyways. Books are expensive so am hesitant to risk wasting money on an author I may not like. So therefore it seems more practical to spend my money on long books when I do buy them such as Malazan for example. That way I am getting more for my money. The frustrating part is that library books have a due date and if I need to reference the book, but I already took it back to the libary..... Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I haven't spent money on books in a year. But I have financial issues (finished school, student loans coming due, vet bills, crappy old car problems, etc.). Though I haven't been reading a lot lately (burned out from work or something). I probably used to spend about $100/month, though.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tend to mix being relatively frugal, with being fairly gun-ho with regards book purchases. I often pop into charity shops and go to car boot sales, where I've picked up some bargains. For example, I picked up the first Thomas Covenant trilogy (3 separate books, not omnibus) for 20p; and a hard back version of The Heroes for 50p. I've bought numerous other books which I'll probably not get round to reading, but have not cost me more than 50p-£1 each.

I do like to 'own' books though, and never rent them, get from a library etc. I bought the hard back version of Memory of Light, and will almost certainly buy the paperback when it comes out, just to finish off my collection. I have also bought all of the Malazan books new, and wouldn't have it any other way!

Antoxx

This is going to sound very sad. I actually keep a spreadsheet with all the books I've bought since I started reading Fantasy again and use this to rank them. So over the past 19 months i've bought 208 books, some of which are omnibuses, which if you counted each book within the omnibus as well would make 232 books. Obviously I haven't read anywhere near that number so have a massive TBR pile. The total cost of all these books is $1,131. Like TomTheBeliever I've bought a lot at book fairs, at 2nd hand book shops and off Trade Me. I initially bought all the books new, but recently have mostly been buying them 2nd hand. I too like owning books. So much so that I bought some Eddings books which I'd read previously and which I don't have any current intention to reread just so I could have them! I quite like searching for books to complete series now. At the moment my number 1 book I'm tring to find is Maduoc and have a book fair tomorrow to go and have a look. FYI Jon Snow it is in Te Atatu South if you're interested.

Hand of Fear

This is going to sound very sad. I actually keep a spreadsheet with all the books I've bought since I started reading Fantasy again and use this to rank them. So over the past 19 months i've bought 208 books, some of which are omnibuses, which if you counted each book within the omnibus as well would make 232 books. Obviously I haven't read anywhere near that number so have a massive TBR pile. The total cost of all these books is $1,131. Like TomTheBeliever I've bought a lot at book fairs, at 2nd hand book shops and off Trade Me. I initially bought all the books new, but recently have mostly been buying them 2nd hand. I too like owning books. So much so that I bought some Eddings books which I'd read previously and which I don't have any current intention to reread just so I could have them! I quite like searching for books to complete series now. At the moment my number 1 book I'm tring to find is Maduoc and have a book fair tomorrow to go and have a look. FYI Jon Snow it is in Te Atatu South if you're interested.
I don't think that's sad I started making a spreadsheet ages ago for all the books I have bought, never got around to finishing it though. I should really set some time aside and do it, just so I can keep track of all the books I have.

When I finally buy a Ereader though I want have this problem !

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member

moonspawn

The only benefit I can see to owning A LOT of books would be to use them as references for reviews and fiction articles, especially if you buy books by authors you don't like. Using up all that space with books just doesn't seem practical to me. How often to guy's resell?

Jon Snow

Staff member
No probs, it was terrible. Next to no fantasy there.

Actually I stopped by there as it was on the way back from girls netball (I coach). I got The War of Flowers by Tad Williams and Changing Planes by Ursula Le Guinn. $2 total, so can't complain.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm about to start a new job in a new city, and there is a stunning second hand book shop near to my new office. I can imagine I'll be spending many lunch breaks in there! Second hand book shops are a rarity in the UK unfortunately.

Antoxx

2nd hand bookshops going that way here too. One up the road closed down about 2 months ago. There's one not far from my girl's dancing that i sometimes pop into on the way home but there's never been anyone but me in it so figure it's only a matter of time before it shuts down too.

Jon Snow

Staff member
2nd hand bookshops going that way here too. One up the road closed down about 2 months ago. There's one not far from my girl's dancing that i sometimes pop into on the way home but there's never been anyone but me in it so figure it's only a matter of time before it shuts down too.

Is that the one I knew of?

The problem is that the internet and online stores are killing second hand books because new books are relatively cheap (online only). 2nd hand books have to sell them for $8-10 (nzd or approx 5usd) otherwise they can't break even.

I'd love to own a niche second hand book store that only stocked fantasy sci-fi with a mix of quality children's books, but would only work if it bleeds money and I don't care like I win 20 million or something =P

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
I win 20 million or something
yea that is what i would do. open up next to a coffee shop, with tables and couches where ppl can come in and sit and read and probs not buy anything but it would be my optimal work environment :D books, books and more books!

Buffy V Slayer

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
Especially in the summer, I try to use the library as much as possible, but new offerings are always on hold for months, so my partner and I set aside a "summer budget" so that we can buy any new books we've been waiting for. I buy all mine through my ereader and he buys through amazon. During the winter, we have this great old book depot (converted from an old local train station). They have a giant selection of wholesale books there, as well as used. It's awesome and they have a lot of what I'm looking for. I try to trade or donate old books though, except for my very favourites and special editions because my partner has already bought me new bookshelves on several occasions and I've filled them. I'm now on strict orders not to bring any more books home unless I'm willing to cull the lot I already have. lol.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
The converted train station sounds awesome! Don't suppose it's anywhere near Nottingham?

Hand of Fear

I have just counted all the books I own, and it's a lot less than I thought which is a 130 I know having gone through some older posts in the Anything section Danica ask that question.

For some reason I though it would have been a lot more, so I have done some very basic sums and this is just an estimate and I've spent between £650-£800 on books.
I had massive breaks from reading books, so that would explain the relatively low amount I have spent.