How Much Money Do You Spend on Books !?

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
I have just counted all the books I own, and it's a lot less than I thought which is a 130 I know having gone through some older posts in the Anything section Danica ask that question.

For some reason I though it would have been a lot more, so I have done some very basic sums and this is just an estimate and I've spent between £650-£800 on books.
I had massive breaks from reading books, so that would explain the relatively low amount I have spent.

That's relatively ok. Much worse habits to have =)

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
I've spent about two thousand dollars (In my lifetime) on books I think.

Edited. I did some numbers and it's roughly two thousand.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
I've spent about two thousand dollars (In my lifetime) on books I think.

Edited. I did some numbers and it's roughly two thousand.

I wouldn't even know where to begin. It would definitely be over $1000, but considering I used to play Magic: The Gathering. That's a drop in the bucket.

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
I wouldn't even know where to begin. It would definitely be over $1000, but considering I used to play Magic: The Gathering. That's a drop in the bucket.
For me it's rather easy because I still have all the records of my ordering through Ebay and Amazon. Truthfully, I spend around 1,300 dollars on just my current science fiction and fantasy collection. However, that's just on my current book collection that I started about two years ago. I'd think it would be safe to say that- in my entire lifetime- I've spent about two thousand dollars on books. (Most certainly if we include all the textbooks I've purchased for school.)

Zarien

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
I don't keep track because I honestly don't want to see how much I spend... I think before I had an Ipad for ebooks, I would typically go 2-3 months without buying any books, because I would go on major book shopping sprees to hold myself over from my favorite authors and end up spending around 200-300 every time. Now I don't buy as many physical books except for the really really good authors I already have physical books of. I don't spend as much on ebooks...but I'm definitely purchasing more often. I think last month I spent around 100-200 in ebooks. But I have enough now to hold me over until January probably unless something good pops up.

Also, it might just be me, but I enjoy holding onto my physical books. Sure, its a waste of space, but sometimes nostalgia hits you and you want to reread a couple of them. I like looking at them because when you've read as much fantasy as some of us and I have read. To the point where some of the earlier stuff you read seems like a haze, its nice to have a physical representation of the time you spent with that book. I value my time, and the book is a concrete form of it, something to maybe pass down as we get older and as we forget more in our later years.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
(Most certainly if we include all the textbooks I've purchased for school.)
Don't even get me started on textbooks. With bachelor's degrees in three subjects (two of which are sciences) and a Ph.D., I have probably $8-10,000 worth of textbooks alone. Fantasy novels, maybe 1/3 of that? But that's over a decade or so of collecting.

Riposte

Philosophizes with Kellhus
$25-50/month. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Occasionally I get a ton of cheap books from the library or a used bookstore and sometimes I just buy one really expensive book. I'm an easy mark for those signed, special editions from the small presses. Some of those have gone up in value after going out of print, so they can be a decent investment despite the prohibitive prices.

epicfantasyfreak

Journeyed there and back again
I spend as close to nothing as possible. I don't have a fetish for storing books and I have zero desire to re-read, so I usually just get my books from the local library. Sometimes I'll buy some used books, but that's incredibly rare these days.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
I just went on a trip to sydney and hit up the bookstores spend $100 there .. on top of the $40 i've already spent on ebooks this month alone ... so a bit over the average 50-60 a month

Francesca

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
Not much at all. We have a local book barn with an unsorted section. I spend hours searching through there to find some literary gold. Best of all everything is only £1 as it is all pre-owned. Forgive me, I am a poor student :)

Obscenic

Told lies with Locke
I'm like Epicfantasy freak. The library it is, though if it doesn't have the book and can't get it, I'll spring for it. I used to have a strong desire to keep all my books, but got over that in the last few years. I have maybe 100 books on my shelves, and they're the ones I simply won't give away. Lynch, Erikson, Jones, Cornwell, Hobb, all my good nonfiction, etc.

As of now? Maybe $15–$30 a month.

moonspawn

Most of the books I want to read I can just order through my library systems website. Waiting isn't an issue, as most of the books I read aren't that popular.

bobo

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Here in Singapore, there are a few bookstores that "rent" books out. What I mean is that the prices are SG$2.00 - 3.00 above market price if its a new book and drops to slightly below market price once its been loaned and returned 2 or 3 times. The books are always in pretty good condition as they will remove the books from circulation after that. Effectively you can sell the book back for slightly less than half the cost of purchase (i.e. if returned within a deadline like a library rental). I always try to pick up a book at the end of its cycle when its cheapest. Then after reading, depending on whether I deem it a "keeper" or not, I will either treat it as bought or return it to get half my money back.
I do this most of the time unless its a series that I'm following (e.g. the latest Dresden or Brandon Sanderson book) in which case I will just purchase via online bookdepository. Can't really say how much I've spent thus far, as I've returned a fair no. of books. I'll haphazard a guess of around SG$20/month.

afa

Wow, compared to you guys I'm a proper miser.

Looking at my Amazon history, in the last 1 year my spend on ebooks has been under $74. I don't really recall buying print books locally; maybe a couple. But even then my total would barely be $100.

Partly, I don't get to read as much as I would like due to work; partly, I have a whole bunch of novels on my TBR list so I don't really feel the need to buy more; and partly it's just because I have a natural tendency to think twice before spending money on anything.

I guess I'm a cheapo...

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Wow, compared to you guys I'm a proper miser.

Looking at my Amazon history, in the last 1 year my spend on ebooks has been under $74. I don't really recall buying print books locally; maybe a couple. But even then my total would barely be $100.

Partly, I don't get to read as much as I would like due to work; partly, I have a whole bunch of novels on my TBR list so I don't really feel the need to buy more; and partly it's just because I have a natural tendency to think twice before spending money on anything.

I guess I'm a cheapo...
Pretty sure I've spent less than that. But we're kind of in the same boat. I've only had a real job for about a year, and it definitely cuts into my reading time.

Well, that and I ran up some enormous bills during graduate school that I will now be paying off until I'm close to retirement age...