How safe is your neighborhood

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
No, that never happens here. Rarely, we hear it out off the main road (far, far in the distance) but not back here (quiet suburbia).

We do have coyotes, though.

Hand of Fear

Journeyed there and back again
I live in Wales and I'm glad to say that I feel pretty safe in my neighbourhood, and I've never thankfully heard any gunshots. The only thing that happens sometimes is rowdy people walking past my house drunk, there's a weatherspoons about 15 minutes up the road from me. They upset our rabbit, which leads to him thumping and waking me and my wife up.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a rowdy pheasant that flies into my garden every few weeks. He makes a right racket. Does my head in! I worry for the safety of our chickens.

Diziet Sma

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Reliable and predictable as a cuckoo clock. It could definitely improve on the fun front though...

Bierschneeman

I hear it every night, often if I'm hanging out side my house with neighbors well pause the conversation and start counting bullets to guess clip size ( spray and pray is the preferred shooting style) Knowing full well that its likely three, or four blocks west. Sometimes two blocks south or east.

If its really close you'll hear a clip emptied, tires squeal, then another clip emptied.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hear it every night, often if I'm hanging out side my house with neighbors well pause the conversation and start counting bullets to guess clip size ( spray and pray is the preferred shooting style) Knowing full well that its likely three, or four blocks west. Sometimes two blocks south or east.

If its really close you'll hear a clip emptied, tires squeal, then another clip emptied.
You know, you're not changing my opinion on gun control one iota ;)

Bierschneeman

You know, you're not changing my opinion on gun control one iota ;)
Would it help to know that the gunshots I hear are all illegally obtained? Probably shipped in from mexico.

There was also that armed robbery at a gas station recently, the victim concealed carried and defended himself.

Derk of Derkholm

Would it help to know that the gunshots I hear are all illegally obtained?
How can you know that?
At least half of them should be "good guys with guns" standing up to the bad guys....

Bierschneeman

How can you know that?
At least half of them should be "good guys with guns" standing up to the bad guys....
The neighborhood in question is notorious, it regularly receives national attention, including manhunts. Cops don't like going there, when they do you can tell, because you won't hear emptied clips. Cops don't spray and pray.

How can I tell, I can't but the local news descirbes busts. And always point out the police identified the weapons as illegal imports. Then we hire marshalls to watch our business when we open the tasting room, they are a chatty bunch and they confirm this too.

I'm not necessarily arguing for or against gun control fyi

Nuomer1

I grew up hearing gunfire almost daily . . . but that was because I lived a couple of miles from Waltham_Abbey_Royal_Gunpowder_Mills before the site became https://www.royalgunpowdermills.com/
Since leaving that area (1967) I don't think I have EVER heard gunfire in the UK except out in the country in peasant-shooting season. Sorry, that should read pheasant-shooting. After all, this is UK, not US.

Bierschneeman

I grew up hearing gunfire almost daily . . . but that was because I lived a couple of miles from Waltham_Abbey_Royal_Gunpowder_Mills before the site became https://www.royalgunpowdermills.com/
Since leaving that area (1967) I don't think I have EVER heard gunfire in the UK except out in the country in peasant-shooting season. Sorry, that should read pheasant-shooting. After all, this is UK, not US.
I have a friend who wants to teach me pheasant shooting. and I grew up in an area where the only gunfire you would hear was during deer season.

this is the first place I have lived where I hear non hunting gunfire. (over three states and 6 locales)

ExTended

The only gunshots you could hear in my neighbourhood, and most likely the whole town, are the ones on New Year's Eve. It's a 60k town, so it's not too small for violence, but in my country people just don't own guns as a rule - it costs about 7% of the minimal wage per month in fees to own one, and you also need to go through a two-weeks training exercises each year and pass practical exams, so unless you need a gun for a job, or for hunting, you'd probably skip all that hassle.

Knifing is more common, although it's still viewed as a last resort thing.

And when someone carries a self-defense gun, it's usually a gas one. The thing is - in our country you are very responsible for the thing you do, even if you get provoked and it's happening on your property. So if someone comes to rob you and you kill him, you'd have to prove that you didn't murder the guy in cold blood. So you'd probably prefer to take the guy down in some other way.

Once I owned a liqueur shop, maybe 7 years ago. Me and my business partner were considering getting guns, just in case, but my parents weren't very happy about the idea and the people around me who've handled guns before( which was almost everybody, we've had mandatory army service after graduation, until 10 years ago) said that when you pull a gun, you have to be mentally ready to shoot, because the other guy probably will, so you end up pulling oil over the fire, instead of extinguishing it and it sounded like a reasonable thing, so I decided against owning a gun. I am glad that I did actually.

We still have crimes and bad people, mind you, it's just that they are using knives and brute force more often than not, and that's probably the best thing for everyone around here. It's nice not having to deal with gunfire and such I suppose.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
My neighbourhood is pretty safe. I never feel unsafe in my home-town. I work in Amsterdam and the site where my office is located is pretty safe too. Gun-laws are strict in the Netherlands and crime rates have been dropping ever since the eighties. There's also no natural disasters to be worried about. Zero chance of earthquakes, no tornadoes, no volcanic eruptions, storms are relatively mild and houses well-built. The only force of nature we have to reckon with is flooding, but our levies are high and the chance of significant flooding has been reduced to almost zero.

There are two things I sometimes worry (and therefore feel unsafe) about, the first of which is terrorist attacks on public transport. I commute during rush-hour (metro, tram and bus) and those have all proven to be targets for islamic terrorists here in Western-Europe in recent years. I don't think our government is doing as much as they should to protect our capital. I hope we will dodge the bullet (literally), but I doubt it.

The second thing is more of a constant nagging worry, rather than an actual feeling of unsafety, and that is on the topic of global warming. It's more for my kid that I worry to be honest. The fear lies more in the secondary effects of global warming, rather than the primary effects. So instead of rising temperatures and rising sea-levels (which I am positive the developped world can handle) I am worried about displacement of refugees from the 3d world (because of failing crops, which for example was a catalyst for the Syrian refugee crisis) who seek a safe haven in the developped world. Next to feeling sorry for the displaced people, I also worry how that will effect the way of living for me and my family. I also fear for increasing conflicts for scarce resources (not only oil, coal etc, but also more and more about water).

Apologies for the gloomy story, but there you have it.

Nuomer1

There's also no natural disasters to be worried about. Zero chance of earthquakes, no tornadoes, no volcanic eruptions, [ . . ]
Actually . . . Yeah, you're OK for volcanos & tornadoes, but earthquakes are less clear. There are some faults in the Channel and the North Sea that haven't moved for a while, so we have no record of how threatening they are - but they needn't be particularly dangerous of themselves - look up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storegga_Slide It only takes a little earthquake to set that sort of thing going, and that could flood right across The Netherlands and Belgium right up into Germany!

I am worried about displacement of refugees from the 3d world (because of failing crops, which for example was a catalyst for the Syrian refugee crisis) who seek a safe haven in the developed world. Next to feeling sorry for the displaced people, I also worry how that will effect the way of living for me and my family. I also fear for increasing conflicts for scarce resources (not only oil, coal etc, but also more and more about water).
And that also is pretty worrying! We are grossly over-populated (planet-wide scale) already. As we lose productive land to desertification and/or rising sea levels etc, and displace populations by war, we become like rats in a cage. Experiments in the 1960s indicated that even when provided with more than adequate food and water, when the population got too dense, territorial fights broke out - fights to the death, not just to submission and retreat. After all, there was nowhere to retreat to!
Brunner (Stand on Zanzibar) painted a frightening picture of the Mucker phenomenon. The only reason he isn't being hailed as a prophet (apart from the fact that we would rather not face up to this prediction!) is that the whole thing has been overlain with a religious veneer.

Lets face it, guys, we're in the ****!

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
It only takes a little earthquake to set that sort of thing going, and that could flood right across The Netherlands and Belgium right up into Germany!
Thanks, that really eases my mind. :)

CelestialAeon

A farm boy with a sword
I live in Helsinki, Finland and this is probably one of the safest cities in the world. I've never heard a gunfire in my life, I haven't really seen a gun except on police officers but never wielded, just in holsters. I don't know the current statistics, but few years ago at least I think the overall amount of shots fired by the finnish police officers during the whole year was something like 6. And that year all of them were to kill wounded animals on site. This year has been a bit more chaotic year all in all, but still it's really safe here in northern Europe.

Bierschneeman

Found this, it is not as specific as gunfire, not as broad as how safe are you (since violent nonlethal crimes aren't covered)
Https//en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/list_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

To put things in perspective, notice where I live (Louisiana) is by a wide margin, the murder state In the USA. Also note the info is five years old, although I'm sure el Salvador is still very very ungodly high, I'm also sure Syria is higher right now ( unless definitions don't allow for non Syrian govt to count their murders)

What I noticed.

A poverty map looks similar.

With 5-15 murders a year, Greenland consistently Is well above global average. As is most small impoverished oceanic and Caribbean islands.

USA has a higher murder rate than several war zones. But a lower rate than most the planet. ( mostly Africa and south America and island countries)

Europe and Asia seem the safest places on the planet, as long as you stay away from Russia, Lithuanian,Myanmar,and (is that Belarus?)

Yucatan is safe, not going anywherebelse in mexico

Peat

I think of my home road as being very safe, I certainly feel safe there, but in my life on that road, I've had one guy try to start a fight with me, one guy try to mug me and threaten me with a knife (dunno whether it was true, had my back turned), had one neighbour mutter death threats at me through the window, and had one paedophile hit on me (I was 14). Which probably isn't all that safe when you come to it.

No gun shots though.