I just bought...

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Jon Snow, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Jon Snow

Jon Snow No Power in the Verse can stop me Staff Member

Stole this idea from another forum. Post your recent purchases here!

---

I just got a bulk lot of books for $16nzd (about 9usd)!

Un Lun Dun by China Mieville
    Iron Council by China Mieville
    Finding Jake by China Mieville
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
    A Mapmakers Dream by James Cowan
    Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson

2. HazyJay

HazyJay Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe

The Way of Shadows Brent Weeks
    Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth Simon R. Green
    Musashi Flex Steve Perry
    Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy

All at Half Price Books.

3. Jon Snow

Awesome!

Also note that Ben has a review of The Way of Shadows on his blog

4. HazyJay

Yeah. That's why I bought it. I've been on the look out for it since I read his review.

Unless I just got a big bonus at work or the poker tables, I try to buy all author's new to me and those that fall into the so-so group (such as Simon Green and Steve Perry) at garage sales or used book stores. Spending $7-$30 on a book that I couldn't finish just pisses me off. That being said, if Mr. Weeks' second book is not at the used book store, I will be buying it new.

And if the next book I pick up based on a review on this blog is as spot on as this one is, I will move the good ones onto my 'Buy New' list.

5. Ive just bought City of Glass, the third book in The Mortal Instruments Trilogy by Cassandra Clare and Homeland by R.A Salvatore (The Legend of Drizzt Book 1).

kinda had to take a guess buying homeland because there was ne description on the back of the book:evil: just a quote from the main character -_-

woo first post...btw my name is Steve

6. Jon Snow

7. The last book I bought was a 1st ed. 1st printing of The Name of the Wind. I found it online from a bookstore in NY for 40 bucks.

8. HazyJay

The local library did not have a copy of Un Lun Dun, so I hopped onto Amazon and bought it. And since I was there anyway...

The Shadow's Edge and Beyond the Shadows to round out the trilogy mentioned above from a week ago and The Final Empire since everyone around here seems to like him so much.

Seriously, I cannot walk into a bookstore or visit Amazon without buying something in addition to what I went in there for.

9. Jon Snow

That means we can always count on you for the book club hazy!!!!!!

I bought 2002 HC version of A Game of Thrones...woot! I now have them all in HC!

10. Jon Snow

went to a annual bookfair in a smallish town.

Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune (I had these already, but at $1NZD each, I couldn't resist)
    Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett ($1)
    DragonFlight by Anne Macaffery (never read her before, $1)
    The Scar by China Mieville (Find of the day, $4)

HG Wells Science Fiction Treasury ($2...soooo worth it)
    -stories include
    The Time Machine
    The Island of Dr Moreau
    The Invisible Man
    The War of the Worlds
    The first men in the Moon
    The food of the Gods

11. Danica

Danica Queen of the boards! Staff Member

I got totally addicted when i started. i usually don't like to start series that haven't been finished but i'm hanging out for the Pirate King!!!

12. Jon Snow

13. btkong

btkong Journeyed there and back again Staff Member

You know, I don't buy too many books anymore. I used to frequent the library and visit books shops, but not anymore.

I pretty much only listen to Audiobooks, unless there is a really exceptional book not in audiobook format, then I'll buy the ebook version of it. If I'm going to
    "buy" a book these days, it's usually as birthday gift to someone or a travel guide.

14. Just bought Cemetary Dance by Preston/Child.

15. Danica

Danica Queen of the boards! Staff Member

I'm sorry but that to me feels wrong. haha it just goes against my perception of being a book lover. " i love books, but i don't read". no offence ment.. just never really thought of audiobooks.. i should probably give it a try might save me from the killer headaches i get after reading all day.

16. Jon Snow

Artemis Fowl

They are promoting it again, and a new one cost $7 (~4usd)

17. Numbered/Signed copy of Warbreaker off of some small bookstore in Utah.

18. first post for me as well!!!

My name is Rick

anyway, i just bought lord of chaos from wot in hc as well as midnight tides in hc finishing my collection of all wot and all malazan in hc up to date!!!! I think i may have a collecting problem ;)

19. l3gacy

l3gacy Dr. Awesomesauce Staff Member

We all need a hobby. :D

Welcome to the boards!

20. Nothing wrong with collecting Erickson, except they are hard to find good hardbacks.