I just bought...

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
I'm sure it would be considered sci-fi. The same way Dune is sci-fi.
Well, with Golden Son we're now in space with battling starships instead of trying to storm castle walls like in Red Rising, so I think you're right.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have bought

Hexed - Book 2 of The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne (hoping it's as fantastic as the first book); and
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (adored Stardust, hoping for more of the same)

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (adored Stardust, hoping for more of the same)
Dont hope too much. The Ocean at the End of the Lane is kind of semi-biographical and I would leave it last to read from Gaiman's works or for people who love Gaiman.
It's weird, it's scary, it's much more inwardly turned in the sense of monologue then his other works. To me it stands somewhere between Gaiman's own reflection and confession. I personally loved it, but I loved all his works, he is one of my favorite writers. A lot of people who aren't fans have a negative reaction to The Ocean much more then any other of his books.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dont hope too much. The Ocean at the End of the Lane is kind of semi-biographical and I would leave it last to read from Gaiman's works or for people who love Gaiman.
It's weird, it's scary, it's much more inwardly turned in the sense of monologue then his other works. To me it stands somewhere between Gaiman's own reflection and confession. I personally loved it, but I loved all his works, he is one of my favorite writers. A lot of people who aren't fans have a negative reaction to The Ocean much more then any other of his books.
Thanks @Alucard will bear it in mind. To be honest the 3 Gaiman books I've read have been so different, that I wasn't expecting it to be 'similar' to Stardust. I just hope I enjoy it to the same extent.

atheling

A Poet of the Khaiem
I think it's worth reading, even if it's not his best book. And, it's short, so it's not a big investment of time to find out what you think of it.

kenubrion

Susan Cooper's Under Sea, Over Stone and The Dark Is Rising.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Susan Cooper's Under Sea, Over Stone and The Dark Is Rising.
I first read those books in elementary school (on my own, not part of the curriculum) -- probably 25 years ago. Had to search them out from the library (but my library seemed to have the complete set). One of those YA series that actually stands up to a reread as an adult. (A Wrinkle in Time is another of those...Narnia is not -- but I digress.) Be prepared for something of a departure from the first book to the second. But overall, something I have fond memories of.

kenubrion

Sneaky says "Be prepared for something of a departure from the first book to the second. But overall, something I have fond memories of."

Thank you for reading my mind about this possibility. Apparently a character named Will comes along and things start happening? Because while I like her writing style, the story in Over Sea, Under Stone is too simplistic and predictable. So my question is, when you say prepare for a departure at book two, do you mean faster paced, more action, I hope?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Thank you for reading my mind about this possibility. Apparently a character named Will comes along and things start happening? Because while I like her writing style, the story in Over Sea, Under Stone is too simplistic and predictable. So my question is, when you say prepare for a departure at book two, do you mean faster paced, more action, I hope?
Less simplistic, yes. I don't remember a ton of action in those books but it's been awhile. Some tense moments in Will's story, but I'm not remembering if they were in book 2 or later. At any rate, the books are still YA, but the tone is different.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
The Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley (hope it's worth the freaking $14.99 ebook price)
The Crimson Campaign by Brian McClellan

kenubrion

The Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley (hope it's worth the freaking $14.99 ebook price)
The Crimson Campaign by Brian McClellan
That's pretty high. I swear that since the settlement on the price collusion dealie that prices have risen. Guess they need their attorney's fees back. But there are still plenty of deals, and the precipitous drop in the original book's price is great if a person has waited.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
That's pretty high. I swear that since the settlement on the price collusion dealie that prices have risen. Guess they need their attorney's fees back. But there are still plenty of deals, and the precipitous drop in the original book's price is great if a person has waited.
I notice the high prices only with Macmillan books (i.e., for us, Tor, generally speaking). And Ammy actually says "the publisher sets this price." On the other hand, all Tor books are DRM free (though I only read them on Kindle so that's not a huge issue). I did get the first one for cheap. So far I am liking it better than the first book (am about 25% of the way through), so there's that.

ofer

I notice the high prices only with Macmillan books (i.e., for us, Tor, generally speaking). And Ammy actually says "the publisher sets this price." On the other hand, all Tor books are DRM free (though I only read them on Kindle so that's not a huge issue). I did get the first one for cheap. So far I am liking it better than the first book (am about 25% of the way through), so there's that.
Never noticed it before but you're absolutely right. I checked all the books on my kindle which I remembered are DRM free (Glen Cook, Brandon Sanderson, Steven Erikson) and they are all from Tor.
The only time I paid 14$ for an ebook was when A Memory of Light was out - I just didn't want to wait to find out how WOT ended after 17 years. Other than that, I'm quite happy to wait a few months for a price drop.