I just bought...

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
I notice the high prices only with Macmillan books (i.e., for us, Tor, generally speaking). And Ammy actually says "the publisher sets this price." On the other hand, all Tor books are DRM free (though I only read them on Kindle so that's not a huge issue). I did get the first one for cheap. So far I am liking it better than the first book (am about 25% of the way through), so there's that.
Yes, I know the prices are set by the publisher not Amazon. I've never blamed Amazon for anything, I love that site.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Yes, I know the prices are set by the publisher not Amazon. I've never blamed Amazon for anything, I love that site.
What I mean is, it only has that notation on really high-priced e-books. Take a look at a Tor book with a high price:

http://www.amazon.com/Providence-Fire-Chronicle-Unhewn-Throne-ebook/dp/B00L73GTH2/

And a Del Rey book:

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Son-Red-Rising-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00I765ZEU/

Notation about the publisher on the Tor book but not on the Del Rey book. (This may not work for older titles, but both of these examples above were released this month.)

kenubrion

What I mean is, it only has that notation on really high-priced e-books. Take a look at a Tor book with a high price:

http://www.amazon.com/Providence-Fire-Chronicle-Unhewn-Throne-ebook/dp/B00L73GTH2/

And a Del Rey book:

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Son-Red-Rising-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00I765ZEU/

Notation about the publisher on the Tor book but not on the Del Rey book. (This may not work for older titles, but both of these examples above were released this month.)
OK, I see what you mean now Sneaky. Interesting.

I just read your review of Golden Son. Nicely done, gave you a yes vote, as did my doppelganger, whose vote sometimes registers, sometimes doesn't.

Last edited:

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Catching up on semi-recent (within the past year or two) stuff I didn't buy yet (had a gift card and coupon code for Barnes & Noble):

The Thousand Names by Django Wexler
The Dusk Watchman by Tom Lloyd
Red Country by Joe Abercrombie

All new, with free shipping, for about $16. Am told free shipping from B&N is approximately at the speed of a 3-legged armadillo, so I may be waiting awhile.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's clearly one more leg than the armadillo that's out there somewhere with my copy of The Martian I can tell you...
Well you've only got yourself to blame for poor forward planning. Obviously if you'd ordered it 2 weeks prior to knowing that you wanted it, it would be with you by now!

wakarimasen

poor forward planning
Actually I think my problem is probably more that I'm a skinflint. I ordered second hand. Which is great as it's £4. But I'm starting to find that some of the guys who fulfil these type of orders off play.com might be a little, shall we say flexible, with their despatch dates.

kenubrion

Actually I think my problem is probably more that I'm a skinflint. I ordered second hand. Which is great as it's £4. But I'm starting to find that some of the guys who fulfil these type of orders off play.com might be a little, shall we say flexible, with their despatch dates.
Wak, I always read used paperbacks before I got the Paperwhite. It's such a good deal that way, but there are limitations.

Khartun

Just bought The Sword of Shannara trilogy omnibus. I know lots of people hate it but I want to read it before the movie comes out.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I want to read it before the movie comes out
Oh God. I'm having visions of the Eragon movie right now.

Seriously. I like fantasy, but I'm staying away from any Shannara-related movies.

I didn't buy this, but Charles Stross's The Revolution Trade showed up unannounced on my doorstep this afternoon (I thought about buying it but told myself to wait!). Conveniently a couple of days after I finished the previous book. Wasn't thrilled with #2 but the end was exciting so I have hopes for this one. Was wondering what to read in paper next so it'll probably be this. Though Tor, you need to send the advance copies so they arrive BEFORE publication date...not ON publication date.

sopranosfan

Just bought The Sword of Shannara trilogy omnibus. I know lots of people hate it but I want to read it before the movie comes out.
Isn't it a TV show?

BTW I applaud you. I think everybody should read a couple of hated series just because. I have a couple of the books I picked up for $0.25-$1 and I will eventually read them and if I like them I'll tell you that one too.:cigar:

atheling

A Poet of the Khaiem
Just got, from Barnes and Noble (not as slow as I was expecting):
Neverwhere
Marakand (2 vols) by K.V. Johnansen (author of Blackdog): The Leopard, and The Lady

Strangely, my first Gaiman experience was American Gods. I'm not into comics, so I'd never heard of his Sandman stuff. I liked American Gods enough to keep reading him, but somehow never read Neverwhere. So, it's here now.

separately, a week or two ago, I got a box from Amazon with some nerdy books plus T.H. White's The Once and Future King. Dunno if I'll love it or hurl it across the room. We'll see!

ofer

I didn't hate it - it wasn't that terrible. But I didn't like it very much either. It was kind of meh and felt dated - I guess that if I was reading it when I was a teenager I might have liked it more, but reading it only a few years ago after reading better authors like Martin or Tad Williams took its toll. I thought the second book was the most decent of the bunch, but the first and the third just bored me.

Oh, and I bought The City & the City by China Mielville. I never read anything by him until now. I assume that this book is not related to his other works and that I can read it before PSS or The Scar?

Last edited:

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Strangely, my first Gaiman experience was American Gods. I'm not into comics, so I'd never heard of his Sandman stuff. I liked American Gods enough to keep reading him, but somehow never read Neverwhere. So, it's here now.
Same as me. Though I really loved American Gods because of different mythologies and gods. Plus it's a really weird book, and I realized I like weird books. I've also started Sandman, got half way through it and put it on a back burner. I read comics regularly, and I liked Sandman but not as much as his books. So far I've read 4 of his books but Neverwhere isn't one of them.

To keep in line with the thread one of the last books I've bought is The Hero And The Crown (Damar #1) by Robin McKinley

I assume that this book is not related to his other works and that I can read it before PSS or The Scar?
Yup. As far as I know (haven't read the book) it's inspired by Dickens' Tale of Two Cities.

Last edited:

Hand of Fear

Oh, and I bought The City & the City by China Mielville. I never read anything by him until now. I assume that this book is not related to his other works and that I can read it before PSS or The Scar?
You assume correctly about The City & The City, I read that book a few months ago and I really struggled with that book.

PSS, The Scar and Iron Council are all based in the Bas-Lang world, and from what I know it would be better if they are read in that order.

The Scar mentions a few things that happened in PSS, but I haven't read Iron Council so I'm not sure if there are any references between the other books.

You could also read them in a different order and I don't think it would do any harm, you will just miss out on a few references.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
You assume correctly about The City & The City, I read that book a few months ago and I really struggled with that book.

PSS, The Scar and Iron Council are all based in the Bas-Lang world, and from what I know it would be better if they are read in that order.

The Scar mentions a few things that happened in PSS, but I haven't read Iron Council so I'm not sure if there are any references between the other books.

You could also read them in a different order and I don't think it would do any harm, you will just miss out on a few references.
Whoa whoa whoa there ... what's with the font change? Get you, fancypants!

Hand of Fear

@TomTB not sure what went wrong there, I copied and pasted what I'd typed in to an Email and when I pasted back on here it ended up looking like that (I was only doing a spell check on it).

kenubrion

I just bought The Sillymarillion. Read Bored of the Rings decades ago, it was mentioned in a thread at the Amazon fantasy forum, went to look at the price, and saw both The Wobbit and The Sillymarillion listed on the same page and I didn't know of the existence of either. Never knew National Lampoon had taken on the Hobbit as well as LOTR.

Edit: There are two books titled The Wobbit A Parody, one is the National Lampoon product and another was just recommended to me by Amazon, same title by a guy named Paul Erickson. The latter has a 4-star cumulative rating (31 votes) while the former is only 3 stars (21 votes). Oh, and Paul's is $3.00 for 198 pages while National Lampoon's is $10.99 for 177 pages (ouch).

Last edited: