I just bought...

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Jon Snow, Apr 18, 2009.

1. David Sims

David Sims Told lies with Locke

I'm 52% of the way through Master of the Five Magics, the first book of Lyndon Hardy's "Magic By The Numbers" series. I called it good a few days ago, but now I think that I'll upgrade my opinion of it to (marginally) great. The plot's strength is that it does keep marching along at a good pace. The price it pays for that is not coloring the whole world with description, as some authors do, but only the part of it in the center of the narrator's field of vision. As the result, it has sort of a brash charm, but the focus is on the activities of the main character, Alodar. There are no other characters who pick up the viewpoint; the only eyes you see through are Alodar's. And there's no focus on the world itself, which seems to appear only as Alodar moves through it. There are no subplots to speak of, other than trivial ones, such as a minor character picking up an important item and carrying it off... only to appear a few pages later with it still in his hands. If that's a subplot. Still, it's a fun, light read that doesn't tax your memory to keep track of subtle nuances that might turn out to foreshadow important later events.

2. Bill Door

Bill Door Knows how to pronounce Kvothe

Not fantasy, but I bought Glen Cook's, 'Passage at Arms' and Elmore Leonard's, 'Riding the Rap' a few days ago.

3. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Book five of Crown of Stars, Mage's Blood by David Hair as I had the second in that quartet after a cheapy sale in town, and King of Thorns from Lawrence (charity shop find).

4. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

5. Jakyro

Jakyro Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I've started it today but didn't come far yet, but I'll be reading some more now :D

6. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Ran bridges next to Kaladin

The problem is, Ken, that post tells me little about the books (as do few of the posts on here). to tempt me I'd need to know what the books are about? What's the hook? Are they a cool new fantasy approach or a well-told take of familiar tropes? Do they focus on characters or plot? What makes them memorable. Without that, I think recommends struggle to convert to sales. :(

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  7. GreyMouser

GreyMouser Journeyed there and back again

Thanks kenubrian, just bought it! I'm going to start reading it in about 10 minutes.

8. Theophania

Theophania A Poet of the Khaiem

What she said.

With the possible exception that if a person I know enjoys the same books as I do recommends a book, I'm more likely to check it out - but in that case, knowing the person tells you something about the book. But from someone whose reading tastes I don't know, detail is required. Reviews are more difficult than they look to get right!

9. Cyphon

Cyphon Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Got a few for Christmas this year.

The Wheel of Osheim by Mark Lawrence.
    The Blood Mirror by Brent Weeksy
    Son of the Black Sword by Larry Correia

10. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I'm good with epic dark fantasy as a description, and I posted the link so that some of you can join me there! Correct my post by posting what you think I missed! We'll have fun! Exclamation point!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. paul james

paul james Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar

For Christmas I got.

Shadowrise by Tad Williams
    Ubik by Philip K Dick
    Deeply Odd by Dean Koontz
    Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King
    The Revenant by Michael Punke

About to start Shadowrise, a nice long epic fantasy with another book to follow, what a great way to star the new year.

• Like Like x 3
  12. atheling

atheling A Poet of the Khaiem

With Christmas a gift card I got:

the next three Discworld novels: Moving Pictures, Reaper Man, and Witches Abroad
    Player of Games (Culture series--yeah, sci-fi not fantasy)

For the discworld novels: I gather that they're not all supposed to be winners, but insist on taking them in order: I've read the first nine so far, so these are next. We'll see how it goes.

I read Consider Phlebas a while back, and I liked it, so this is the next one.

Also on the TBR list are the next K. V. Johansen, Gods of Nabban, but @Sneaky Burrito has an ARC (it's falling apart, but that's what tape is for--classy!); and also all of Erikson's MBotF decalogy starting over from book one, but again @Sneaky Burrito also has those on the shelf in the other room, so there's nothing to buy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bill Door

Bill Door Knows how to pronounce Kvothe

I bought Tad Williams, 'The Heart of what was Lost'. I was going to read it right away, but I decided I'd rather reread Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn before I read this and the start of the new trilogy. It's been about a dozen years since I read it so it seems about a good as time as any. I'll start rereading them in may to get ready for the release of the first book in the new trilogy in late June.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  14. wakarimasen

wakarimasen Journeyed there and back again

It is with great trepidation that I finally bought (on audio) Gardens of the Moon

Something has been keeping me from Malazan... like when I didn't want to watch Breaking Bad.
    Maybe it felt like too much of a commitment... and in the case of BB I didn't think much of it and gave up not far in.

I'm really hoping Malazan delivers.:nailbiting:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

For christmas I got, zero fantasy books.

A couple of ayn Rands I might never get to, a stack of Larry niviens (scifi). Jean de Clerck's "a textbook of brewing"A massively expensive two volume textbook.

Light year, but I did get a hunting rifle and a bunch of bike accessories.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

I got one book for christmas, Nemesis Games. I always get asked what I want by family, siblings and relatives. Always get to hear how hard it is to find good presents to buy, so usually what I get is money, gift cards (Ironically not for book shops..) and underwear :D

Funny thing is I'm probably the person it's easiest to find excellent presents for. Give me a book or two, or a blu ray or something, and it will be great gifts for me.

My family or relatives who doesn't read don't understand that though. When my brother really wants that expensive watch, they probably think books will be horrible gifts to then give to me :p

17. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

I've reached the age where this is something I look forward to and I now get a little bit annoyed when I don't get a nice 3 pack of finest quality socks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Haha, I hear ya. That's when you know you're getting old. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

A man can never receive too many socks for xmas

• Like Like x 1