I just bought...

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Jon Snow, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Bill Door

Bill Door Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life

I bought The Dragonbone Chair and Shadows of Self yesterday. I need to reread memory, sorrow, and thorn before the first book of the new trilogy comes out.

2. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I just paid the highest amount I've ever spent on an ebook, $15.99 US for the second book in Neal Asher's new Polity trilogy, titled War Factory. I have to keep reading it because it's just that good. So my protestations about not paying the new prices are just so much wasted pixels and 1s and 0s.

3. Bill Door

Bill Door Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life

I just pre ordered 'Assassin's Fate' on amazon. I didn't realize it was already coming out on may 9th. That will be my next read after 'Shadows of Self'.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  4. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

Good omens , neverwhere

And the Ken Liu book,"grace and kings?"

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  5. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

In case you didn't see it @Alucard posted in the Kindle book sales thread that part two of that Ken Liu series is on sale for $1.99.

6. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

I have no kindle, I read no digital books, but thank you

7. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Just got Crown of Stars. I have book 5 of that series ready to go after I finish what I'm on now, so once I have book 6, the series is complete and I can finish it.

8. paul james

paul james Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar

I have recently purchased Mr Mercedes, Joyland both by Stephen King. The Scar by China Mieville and Sepulchre by James Herbert.

9. kenubrion

Knight's Shadow and Saint's Blood, books 2 and 3 in the Greatcoats series by Sebastion de Castell, because they are currently $1.99 each.

10. kenubrion

Perdido Street Station.

And a expensive new laptop to try and get BFB to work again. Didn't work.

11. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

What is not working exactly?

12. kenubrion

It takes a couple minutes for a different page to load, and getting on initially take much longer than that.

If it's not the site then I have to do a system restore as I let Norton do an in depth scan and deletions last week.

13. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Hmm, that's weird. Do you have any mobile devices (IPad, phone) that you can check? I'm having no problems here and I haven't heard anyone else recently with site performance issues.

14. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

I'm having no trouble either, infact BFB is pretty fast. I use chrome on desktop and Firefox on my android.
    It could be the browser client you are using kenubrion (Microsoft's edge and explorer are not the best choices) or if you have tabs and add ons installed in it. Those can cripple the speed significantly.

15. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

@kenubrion I am having this problem with a lot of websites lately. I think it has to do with Google. Google has started giving priority to websites that are mobile-optimized. Ever since some event in this priority transition/process happened earlier this year (I am unclear on the details and can't come up with the right search terms to find an article about it, but I know my law firm had to redo the website to be mobile-friendly), it seems that EVERY page starts loading for me in the mobile version (so it looks different) and then reloads in desktop version (because I don't use a mobile device to browse the web). Every now and then it gets stuck on the mobile version for some reason.

I am mostly having this problem with Firefox, where I don't have any add-ons installed. It is worse on my work computer (Windows 7) than at home (whatever the latest flavor of Mac OS is).

16. kenubrion

Thanks everyone. This morning it loaded immediately and then when I went to this discussion, I got the "waiting for bestfantasybooks" again, which is where it sticks. However the wait was only about 10 seconds. Now I'm finding that this occurs only intermittently this morning so it's better somehow. I have no add-ons. I think. Yesterday I paid attention as I jumped around the net and this never occurred anywhere else. But again it's better today. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

17. Cyphon

Cyphon Journeyed there and back again

Bound by Benedict Jacka
    The Waking Fire by Anthony Ryan

18. kenubrion

I just bought Uprooted, Hexed, Six of Crows, Stiletto, Armada and The New World by Winston Churchill.

19. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

My copy of The Seven by Peter Newman arrived. 100% forgot about ordering that. I guess it took the slow boat from the UK. Probably if it had never come, I wouldn't have thought to check into it for months. My brain is elsewhere lately.

20. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

Someone left a Lord Dunsany collection on the office book swap table. Its mine now.