I just bought...

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
I just bought Shadowrise, volume three of Tad Williams' Shadowmarch series.

Hand of Fear

I've been on a bit of a book bender and have bought these;

The Slow Regard of Silent Things
The Painted Man
The Dark Tower 3 The Waste Lands
The Dark Tower 4 Wizard and Glass
The Wind Through the Keyhole

For some reason The Wind Through the Keyhole was a little difficult to get hold of.

Maark Abbott

Didn't realise that Firebrand (Green Rider #6) was out so I had to snap it up.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Didn't realise that Firebrand (Green Rider #6) was out so I had to snap it up.
The author is kind of inconsistent/slow between books. I never read #5 because the spoilers sounded really dumb to me. If something changed, I would start back with this series.

Maark Abbott

The author is kind of inconsistent/slow between books. I never read #5 because the spoilers sounded really dumb to me. If something changed, I would start back with this series.
Book 5 actually worked well enough. It wasn't as good as Blackveil which so far has been the highlight of the series, but I enjoyed it anyway. I have a soft spot for this series.

paul james

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
I tried to buy Memories Of Ice but unfortunately my local bookshop did not have. Going to order it online. I have been looking for a few months now for this but they always only seem to stock Gardens of The Moon and Deadhouse Gates. Does anybody else see the same thing as I am sure Ihave not seen any other Malazan books. This does not bother me as I always have something new in the house to read, I just would have liked to have bought and started it the same day.

TomTB

The Master Tweeter
Staff member
I tried to buy Memories Of Ice but unfortunately my local bookshop did not have. Going to order it online. I have been looking for a few months now for this but they always only seem to stock Gardens of The Moon and Deadhouse Gates. Does anybody else see the same thing as I am sure Ihave not seen any other Malazan books. This does not bother me as I always have something new in the house to read, I just would have liked to have bought and started it the same day.
My local Waterstones always seemed to stock the whole series. This was a few years back mind, so may have changed.

paul james

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
The postman just delivered Memories of Ice. What a huge book it is. Haven't read one of this size since I read The Stand 20 odd years ago. Got a couple of short books to read then gonna dive into this and immerse myself in all things Malazan.

kenubrion

Just bought Summa Elvetica: A Casuistry of the Elvish Controversy (Arts of Dark and Light Book 0) by Vox Day, which is the first book of the Arts of Dark and Light series. I have read everything else in this great series. Think LOTR with more action and excitement and a Roman Empire and medieval England twist.

Oh, and I pre-ordered book three of the Song of Shattered Sands series (Twelve Kings of Sharakhai) which I was thrilled to learn will be released on March 8 2018. Titled A Veil of Spears.

Last edited:

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Just bought Queen of Swords by R.S. Belcher. Ammy sent me a notification that this was out and it took me all of about 6 seconds to click the link and complete the purchase.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Just bought Queen of Swords by R.S. Belcher. Ammy sent me a notification that this was out and it took me all of about 6 seconds to click the link and complete the purchase.
Yeah his books are really fantastically entertaining aren't they? He deserves more recognition and success than he has imo.

Maark Abbott

Picked up The Court of Broken Knives by Anna Smith-Spark. Given that the author is in my reading group, I had to show some support! Will be getting it underway once I finish the Kate Elliott that I'm on.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I just bought a new Kindle.

The one I was using before, I won from a BFB giveaway in 2012. I liked it more than I thought I would. But, after almost five years, it is kind of dying on me. I have been using it a lot lately and the slowness of response is getting irritating. And it is Prime Day on US Amazon so I got a good deal.

kenubrion

I just bought The Green Count, book 3 in Christian/Miles Cameron's Chivalry series, historical fiction about the age of chivalry starring a fictional character, Sir William Gold, who starts out as a gutter rat child in London (through no fault of his own). Cameron follows his story meticulously, and it is a tale of dire hardship and privation mixed with a lot of warfare on both the micro and macro scales. The author of The Red Knight/Traitor Son series, Cameron is famous for his exacting replication of the lives of knights, royalty and serfs in the middle ages. Everything in this series, as well as his Killer of Men series about the ancient Greek/Spartan/Persian wars, is historically accurate with only the protagonist being fictional. Although there is no magic, this series is as great as The Red Knight and I haven't missed the fantastical happenings.

Last edited:

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I just bought The Green Count, book 3 in Christian/Miles Cameron's Chivalry series, historical fiction about the age of chivalry starring a fictional character, Sir William Gold, who starts out as a gutter rat child in London (through no fault of his own). Cameron follows his story meticulously, and it is a tale of dire hardship and privation mixed with a lot of warfare on both the micro and macro scales. The author of The Red Knight/Traitor Sun series, Cameron is famous for his exacting replication of the lives of knights, royalty and serfs in the middle ages. Everything in this series, as well as his Killer of Men series about the ancient Greek/Spartan/Persian wars, is historically accurate with only the protagonist being fictional. Although there is no magic, this series is as great as The Red Knight and I haven't missed the fantastical happenings.
I'd be very interested to hear your conclusions on the book.

kenubrion

I'd be very interested to hear your conclusions on the book.
You bet. I know it's not fantasy but I'm just blown away with Cameron's approach to writing and want to share. Meticulous as well as exciting and with complex characterizations. William Gold is really something.