I just bought...

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Jon Snow, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Yeah, I love Cameron's writing in the Traitor Son series. Not sure if you knew, but I'm a historian (by education) and all the meticulous details and perfect descriptions of battles, gear, feudal life etc just really appeal to me.

• Like Like x 2
  2. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Historical accuracy is one of the reasons I enjoyed Neal Stephenson's The Baroque Cycle so much. A large portion of the story takes place in your neck of the woods btw. I'm putting this on hold while I finish Anthony Ryan's new book 2 of the Draconis Memoria series, which itself is going slowly while I've been watching eight hours a day of the British Open. Very dramatic tournament this year.

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Two books. The 1st book of the Monarchies Of God. Time to start a new series and I plan to read this book before long . The last two I tried, with high hopes and expectations, I quit after book one. I think I will be very pleased based on reading the prologue sample .prior to purchasing it. I usually know right away. Like the Traitor Son Cycle. After 30 pages I posted I would love it. Even though it has yet to be completed it already is in my top ten!

The other book is fiction. Cannot believe the amount of incredible (seemingly legitimate reviews. The Caine Mutiny. A kindle deal all this month. The story will be new to me which I really like. I read The Glory by Herman Woulk about a year ago and loved it.

4. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

I did not know that? Which period/how far did you study?

Personally, I started off liking the meticulousness of Cameron's work, then found myself wishing he would hide his light under a bushel.

Have you read Gates of Fire?

5. kenubrion

Oh, and my eldest daughter is a history grad also. I suggested that for her bachelor's as an appropriate precursor for law school.

6. Silvion Night

Not very far I'm afraid. I've got a bachelor's degree in History, without a masters, so no specialization. The plan was to become a history teacher after also finishing my masters, but life (and a job offer) intervened after I got my bachelor degree and life turned out differently. I still have a passion for history though.

No.

I agree that is a good approach. It definitely pays off to be able to put the various topics that you learn in law school in proper historical perspective.

7. S. K. Inkslinger

S. K. Inkslinger Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon

I just bought books 1, 2, and 3 of the Codex Alera series, thus combining with the last three books I already have, I now have the entire Codex Alera series at my reading disposal. :D Also bought the second book of the Dresden Files (since I have the first) Looking forward to reading them!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

Having done the Masters, I reckon you got the better end of the deal :p

Do so! It is a very, very good historical rendering of what Thermopylae might have been like, save for the bit where the author's so busy kissing the Spartans' feet he whitewashes them a bit.

9. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Bought this pretty copy of Abercrombie's Sharp Ends in Helsinki. It's the first physical fantasy book I've purchased in 2 years, I think.
    [​IMG]
    I've also found this lovely cover of Assassin's Fate, which makes the series look a lot less bland, imo.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Edit: How do you make the images smaller? They're huge.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Silvion Night

I'm about halfway through The Vagrant by Peter Newman. As I like the book, I decided to buy The Malice and The Seven as well at my local bookstore.

11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Codex is on of my favorite series. Loved the characters. The bad guys were great. IMO, too many narrow escapes and a bit silly at times but a really neat plot and so much fun! I thought the first book was the weakest but I thought it really took off afterwards with some neat twists and surprises. A "howling" good time.

12. kenubrion

I just bought the first book in Brian McClelland raved-about Powder Mage trilogy, Promise of Blood. I'm a very late adopter of this series and never got to it because I thought the premise of the powder mages' magic, involving ingestion of gunpowder, was ludicrous even for fantasy. But it's not in practice as I learned from the four novella primer to Promise, In The Field Marshall's Shadow (only $3.99). It not only explains the world but the novellas are all prequels to the first book and really get you set for the main course.

13. kenubrion

Just bought An Empire Unacquainted With Defeat, the short story collection of the Dread Empire by Glen Cook. Somehow I missed this when I read the series.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bill Door

Bill Door Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life

I just bought Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings. I thought I'd finally get into it now that it's getting three books deep with the release in november. I already own Words of Radiance so I'm good to go.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Anti_Quated

Anti_Quated Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Bought my eldest boy his very first Ghostbusters comic (The Real Ghostbusters™). And a Power Rangers one to accompany it. He is commensurately pleased and took to book week in an arse-kicking Peter Venkman costume my talented wife made for him. Glow-stick piping and everything for the proton pack. Very cool.

While looking about I found a Viking-themed comic series, Black Road, which I almost bought, but relented simply because the price seemed a little excessive. Having read a little more about it I may seek a more cost effective procurement strategy.

16. Bill Door

I just bought the next 3 book collection of Garret PI, Garrett Takes the Case.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

[​IMG]

In The Ruins (Crown of Stars #6) from Kate Elliott
    And issues 1 & 2 of Gakkou Gurashi

ITR was the last COS I needed for the full set, so I can finish this series towards the end of the year which is cool.
    I recently watched the GG anime and whilst it initially comes over as kind of cutesy, that notion is quickly abased with the fact that you're seeing the protagonist's mental illness as they try and cope with a Resi 2/3 style zombie apocalypse. It's dark to the point that Aurang would touch himself to it. The COFFERS!

18. Bill Door

I just bought Jim Butcher's, Furies of Calderon. This will be my first novel of his.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  19. Bill Door

Bland? Robin Hobb writes the best character fantasy.

20. Cyphon

Cyphon Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I just bought Besieged by Kevin Hearne.