I just bought...

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Jon Snow, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Given the context it appears Andrew is referring to the covers. This is because he's talking about the covers.

2. The bard`s song

The bard`s song Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon

I have ordered over the last weeks:

Crown of Stars complete series
    The Witcher Saga (books 1 - 7)
    Shattered Sea trilogy
    Book of Words trilogy

Right now I am going through Shadowplay so there are also 2 more Shadowmarch books after that.

I think I won't buy anything until 2019 :)

Somehow I am only interested in finished series (that have completely translated to German).
    The experience of reading a complete story without waiting is just so much better.

3. paul james

paul james Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar

I have just had a bit of a binge on book buying after my local bookstore harldy had anything I wanted. So the postman was busy. The problem with big fantasy books is they don't go through the letterbox, we need somebody to create a special large letterbox for avid fantasy readers.

Bought a horror collection by Richard Laymon.

WOT 2 The Great Hunt.

Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light.

And in anticipation of book 3 in novemeber I now have Words of Radiance Part 2.

4. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 Journeyed there and back again

Sod's Law!
    I am almost sure this is about to be a group read for some group on Goodreads - but I read it only about 6 months ago and even though it was great I don't want to re-read it again so soon, so I deleted the message . . . and do you think I can find out which group it was? Such is life! If I come across it, I will post here.

Edit . . .

Got it! Its here: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/45059-sci-fi-and-heroic-fantasy at the moment, listed to start October 1st (at which point that link probably goes bad)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  5. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

It will have to be with the printed edition because according to Amazon the kindle version isn't available which is utterly ridiculous due to the author's stature and the book's greatness.

6. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

If you are talking about Zelazny, I'm pretty sure his ex-wife has control of his estate (including copyright, etc.) and is not really acting to disperse his works to the greatest number of people. Can't just make a Kindle edition without permission or you will probably get sued (and then it will get taken down anyway). Not saying it's right, just that's how it is.

7. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

I just pre-ordered The Core. It releases one week from today.

8. Hikerike

Hikerike Owns a Ring of Power

I just bought The shadow of what was lost by James Islington on audible, i'll going to go into this one with no recon, didnt even read the summary or look it up, last time i bought a book without looking it up i found red rising which i loved. Michael Kramer is the narrator, and Kramer is awesome!

9. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Knows Who John Uskglass Is

Hope that you enjoy it.

I read the first short story in the first The Witcher novel, and then I cried. My favorite game series is based off of these books, but I can't handle the writing style.

10. kenubrion

Thanks for the info Sneaky. I always wondered.

11. kenubrion

12. Nuomer1

13. kenubrion

Oh my goodness! If my math is correct (and they told me there would be no math) that is $21.70 versus $7.99. The publisher must not want any UK sales. Walter's novels have always been among the lowest priced.

14. Nuomer1

I had to use the 'Look Inside' facility to find out that the publishers involved are Simon & Schyster. Perhaps he needs a publisher with less of a 'greed' problem.

15. kenubrion

I read the long sample of Quillifer last night and I am going to buy it. As the product description says, Quillifer is a rogue-ish young man serving a law apprenticeship although he seems more of a devil-may-care risk taker who has a good heart and a good brain. I'm put in mind of Royce and Hadrian.

16. Khartun

I didn't buy it but I just won my first Goodreads giveaway. I got Kings of the Wyld (The Band) by Nicholas Eames.

17. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Knows Who John Uskglass Is

*reports you for being off topic*

Seriously though, gratz. Hope that you like it.

18. Khartun

19. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I just ordered it too.

I am reading a lot lately since I can't do much else. So it's a good time for me to pick up giant hardcovers (I started this series in paper).

20. Alice Sabo

Alice Sabo A Muggle

Red Gambit by Luke R Mitchell - a little outside my confort zone, because I'm not a big fan of "Space Marine" stuff, but it's free today.