I just bought...

Bill Door

Told lies with Locke
I just bought Tad Williams 'To Green Angel Tower' and Glen Cook's 'Darkwar'. I need to get Dragonbone Chair in hardbound now to complete the trilogy. I reread the first one on kindle and originally read the books from the library years ago.

Last edited:

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I just bought a couple more from Leigh Bardugo and also Quillifer because it popped up on my Amazon recommendations and I remember @kenubrion praising it here.

Maark Abbott

Journeyed there and back again
Picked up Deadhouse Landing, Red Seas under Red Skies, Saekano vol.1 and Re:Zero vol. 1 (the latter two are manga).

Bill Door

Told lies with Locke
I just bought Glen Cook's, A Fortress in Shadow (dread empire) and Mark Lawrence's, King of Thorns. I bought Prince of Thorns a couple years ago and I'm thinking I'd finally get to that trilogy this upcoming year.

The bard`s song

Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon
Over the past couple of months I went on a brutal spending spree and got the following series (all books of each series):

Kate Elliott - Crown of Stars
Joe Abercrombie - Shattered Sea (already done - great stuff)
Andrzej Sapkowski - Witcher Series (started)
Carol Berg - Rai Kirah
J.V. Jones - Book of Words
Jim Butcher - Codex Alera
Harry Connolly - The Great Way
Kelly McCullough - The Fallen Blades

Cyphon

Consistent for me year to year is getting books from someone for Christmas.

Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson
The Shadow of What Was Lost by James Islington
An Echo of Things To Come by James Islington

Bill Door

Told lies with Locke
I just bought:

Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere. This will be my first work of his.

Robin Hobb - Assassin's Fate. After I finish To Green Angel Tower and read the Heart of what was Lost I'll read this next and finish the trilogy.

Jim Butcher - Academ's Fury (Codex Alera 2) Not sure when I'll actually start this series, but I decided to grab this on kindle as it was cheap. I got the first one on kindle a couple months ago.

Last edited:

Darth Tater

The Bear And The Nightingale (Winternight trilogy) for $2.99. It sounded really good based on comments here. The remainder are $13.99 each. Too much, IMO, for 340 page Kindle books but this one supposedly also works very well as a standalone.

kenubrion

I just bought three books: Perfect Shadow by Brent Weeks, a 144-page novella in the Night Angel story; also The Guns of Empire by Django Wexler and Blood Mirror by Brent Weeks. I have put off the last two for when I totally ran out of something GOOD to read and want to continue ignoring the TBR's on my Kindle.

Darth Tater

I just bought three books: Perfect Shadow by Brent Weeks, a 144-page novella in the Night Angel story; also The Guns of Empire by Django Wexler and Blood Mirror by Brent Weeks. I have put off the last two for when I totally ran out of something GOOD to read and want to continue ignoring the TBR's on my Kindle.
Can’t remember whether or not Blood Mirror was mainly a set-up book but IIRC I really liked it. Can’t wait for book 5. I plan to read Guns Of Empire soon.Also book 5 will be released in two days. Like most, I have a TBR list but always include the next book up in a series to avoid potential confusion. o_O Still, there are only a couple dozen books on it.

kenubrion

Can’t remember whether or not Blood Mirror was mainly a set-up book but IIRC I really liked it. Can’t wait for book 5. I plan to read Guns Of Empire soon.Also book 5 will be released in two days. Like most, I have a TBR list but always include the next book up in a series to avoid potential confusion. o_O Still, there are only a couple dozen books on it.
Thanks for the reply Darth. I was going to start Witchwood Crown but can't make up my mind on whether to buy the expensive-for-200 page Heart of What Was Lost and whether it's necessary. Well I just checked his bibliography and it turns out that Heart is book one of a new pentalogy called The Last King of Osten Ard. For some reason that makes a difference and I will buy both after these three.

Seems that Weeks' dialogue has gotten stilted, too formal in book four. But it's great to be back into it and the what's-gone-before recapitulation at the start makes me finally see where he's going with this.

My love for Shadow Campaigns waned when it became urban and political, so hopefully Guns gets back to real war. Perfect Shadow is old (2011) but getting back to that as a prequel sounds great.

Darth Tater

Thanks for the reply Darth. I was going to start Witchwood Crown but can't make up my mind on whether to buy the expensive-for-200 page Heart of What Was Lost and whether it's necessary. Well I just checked his bibliography and it turns out that Heart is book one of a new pentalogy called The Last King of Osten Ard. For some reason that makes a difference and I will buy both after these three.

Seems that Weeks' dialogue has gotten stilted, too formal in book four. But it's great to be back into it and the what's-gone-before recapitulation at the start makes me finally see where he's going with this.

My love for Shadow Campaigns waned when it became urban and political, so hopefully Guns gets back to real war. Perfect Shadow is old (2011) but getting back to that as a prequel sounds great.
I just double checked to make sure my understanding from earlier was correct before sharing it with you.

Personally, I would wait until the $11.99 and mere 222 page Last King of Osten Ard gets reduced to a reasonable price on a deal. It is part of the world but not part of the LAST KING of Osten Ard pentology. The Witchwood Crown is #1

The Heart of what was Lost is of the TALES of Osten Ard.

So related but not a must.

Here is one link that shows it.

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/tad-williams/

kenubrion

I just double checked to make sure my understanding from earlier was correct before sharing it with you.

Personally, I would wait until the $11.99 and mere 222 page Last King of Osten Ard gets reduced to a reasonable price on a deal. It is part of the world but not part of the LAST KING of Osten Ard pentology. The Witchwood Crown is #1

The Heart of what was Lost is of the TALES of Osten Ard.

So related but not a must.

Here is one link that shows it.

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/tad-williams/
Thank you again Darth! I finally know what's happening there.

In disappointing news, I have again spoken too soon about liking a new read, and when I just read Karris' complete change of character now that she's you know what, to mouse from lion, I give up. That is my biggest objection to action books, when a character has to change utterly to fit the author's narrative. I'll be returning it.

On to Perfect Shadow. Nice that it's a "long" novella at 144 pages and only $2.99.

Maark Abbott

Darth Tater

Perusing Ben’s Best Fantasy lists tonight I came across “ Only Begotten Daughter” which is a fantasy/Sci Fi religious satire and winner of the prestigious 1991 “Worlds Fantasy Award for Best Novel”. Ironically, I completed “Lamb” by Christopher Moore tonight which also is somewhat along those lines. Never heard of it before but really looking forward to reading it in the not to distant future. :hungry:

I always liken my TBR list to a swarm of mosquitoes. Seems like for every one you knock off two more appear.

Alice Sabo

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Finally got Slow Regard of Silent Things and a Benedict Jacka.