I just want characters that make me smile!

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by TomTB, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

Robin Hobb writes great characters, but they don't make me smile. Quite the opposite really. More bloody misery than any other author I've read.

2. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 Ran bridges next to Kaladin

There were some definite similarities in the first book with the challenge to death thing but the next two books are different. Still loved the characters and story.

3. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Agreed. Really liked the book. It felt a bit like a video game at times, but in a good way. Book 1 was the weakest in the series though.

4. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

The very first part of the first book, when you only get to see society through the lens of low Red ignorance, almost made me put the book down. It turned out to be one of my favorite reads, and I was delighted that the sequels were just as good.

I bring it up because the comparison to the Hunger Games makes me think maybe you did the same? The competition between Red clans for food/medicine/etc. are kind of like how Hunger Game rewards enrich a single district, but the similarities between Hunger Games and what happens at the school are pretty thin, imo. The point of the school is to train rather than kill (for the half of them that were meant for it, ofc), parents are proud rather than horrified, and the oppressed populations are excluded from it rather than forced into it. Their struggle is about leadership, strategy, and teamwork rather than survival and murder. If you did quit the book within the first 100 pages or so, you really missed out =/. If you didn't, then I don't understand you at all :(.

5. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I partly agree, but I must say book 1 has the same vibe as The Hunger Games, Divergent, the Maze Runner etc. I think this series is way better, but especially book 1 has the same kind of atmosphere (and not necessarily only because it involves youngsters battling it out).

6. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Knows Who John Uskglass Is

Riyria Revelations
    Red Sister

Backing those up, good stuff, although I've only read the first 2 books of the former, and the latter is just one book so far.

Also, I don't know if you'd like it, but there was this really good Forgotten Realms book called Azure Bonds. So many very very likable, fun loving characters that I absolutely ADORED It's only about 250 pages or so, and while it's part of...I think a trilogy, from what I've read the rest of the series focuses on completely different characters. Seriously, it's really good stuff.

But yeah, I imagine that most lighthearted young adult fantasy would fit the bill. Am I correct people here who have read a lot of it?

7. Alice Sabo

Alice Sabo A Muggle

Loved Naomi Novik's Temeraire series. The dragons are hilarious.
    Terry Pratchett is a wonderful palate-cleanser between darker series.
    Daniel Abraham - all of his series. He writes a smaller world - no massive armies off to save the world.
    Codex Alera was a rollercoaster. Couldn't put it down. But I'm a big Jim Butcher fan.

8. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Thanks for the recs :)

9. Alice Sabo

Alice Sabo A Muggle

I'm watching this thread for my next read. There's a lot of books here that sound like I'd enjoy them.

10. Peat

Anything particularly interesting you (to both Tom and Alice)?

Not sure if anyone's mentioned The Tales of the Ketty Jay yet.

11. Alice Sabo

Alice Sabo A Muggle

Quoting you:
    Rivers of London
    by Ben Aaronovitch - Not always uplifting, but plenty of self-deprecation
    The Brentford Trilogy by Robert Rankin - The far more zany UFish cousin of Pratchett
    The Ninth Rain by Jen Williams - The MC is a wonderful mix of airy affability and sharp practicality; her main sidekick a mix of dark cynicism and gloomy brooding. I like it.
    The Adventures of Sir Edric by Thaddeus White - SPed by a chap I know, its sort of like fantasy Flashman
    Angel's Truth by AJ Grimmelhaus - Another SP, sort of a cool 80s adventure with characters a bit by the way of Butcher

These all look good. I've read some of Riyaria, all of Butcher, Hobb, some Pratchett. I tried one Abercrombie and it didn't grab me. Don't care for grimdark either. I've heard Tales of Ketty Jay mentioned a number of times. I guess I need to check that out.

12. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Journeyed there and back again

@Alice Sabo - another huge Sir Edric fan here! (I get to beta read for Thaddeus and it's my guilty treat. :D)

@Peat - Robin Hobb, the most miserable? I shall try harder ;)

13. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Ketty Jay is the kind of thing I'm looking for! Bit not Ketty Jay, cos I've read it.

I'll be choosing a new series after I've finished with what I'm currently on. I plan on trawling through this thread to make my choice!

14. Peat

I wish I liked Ketty Jay more. Its everything that should appeal to me but somehow it doesn't work.

Speaking of which, The Eli Monpress books by Rachel Aaron are in a similar ilk and have fun bouncy characters.

Famous last words, but I don't think you have it in you - your characters are far too aware of what makes them happy, even if they can't get it. Hobb's characters are the sort who'd go to an Indian restaurant and order nothing but a plateful of chips.