I like *this* so recommend me.....

hey everyone,

I just registered after a few months of reading threads here as I'd love some help finding my next good read or two or three. The top 25 list has been really helpful to me in the past, but there's nothing like personalized recommendations!

Thanks very much!

Here's most of the stuff I've read and loved most -
1) George Martin - if he published something every month, I would never need any other books, though it does take me a few years each time to recover from him killing everyone I used to root for
2) Patrick Rothfuss - also really loved Name of the Wind, and agree with many that WMF was a little long / slow, but still really liked it
3) Mistborn series by Sanderson - really liked the magic system here, thought the story was well paced too
4) Harry Potter - obviously pretty different from a lot of what I've liked, but I grew up with this, reading book 1 when it came out and I was in middle school...
5) Trudi Canavan - guilty pleasure here... I know it's not the finest fantasy out there, but have liked all 3 of her her trilogies

Other stuff I've tried
1) Malazan series I couldn't really get into, gave it a few hundred pages before giving up
2) Prince of Nothing series I liked but didn't love - it got too caught up in its philosophical meandering
3) The new Sanderson series I got ~100 pages into and liked, then decided to wait until there are a few more books before I really get into it

hey everyone,

I just registered after a few months of reading threads here as I'd love some help finding my next good read or two or three. The top 25 list has been really helpful to me in the past, but there's nothing like personalized recommendations!

Thanks very much!

Here's most of the stuff I've read and loved most -
1) George Martin - if he published something every month, I would never need any other books, though it does take me a few years each time to recover from him killing everyone I used to root for
2) Patrick Rothfuss - also really loved Name of the Wind, and agree with many that WMF was a little long / slow, but still really liked it
3) Mistborn series by Sanderson - really liked the magic system here, thought the story was well paced too
4) Harry Potter - obviously pretty different from a lot of what I've liked, but I grew up with this, reading book 1 when it came out and I was in middle school...
5) Trudi Canavan - guilty pleasure here... I know it's not the finest fantasy out there, but have liked all 3 of her her trilogies

Other stuff I've tried
1) Malazan series I couldn't really get into, gave it a few hundred pages before giving up
2) Prince of Nothing series I liked but didn't love - it got too caught up in its philosophical meandering
3) The new Sanderson series I got ~100 pages into and liked, then decided to wait until there are a few more books before I really get into it
Give Malazan a chance, it's really good.
If you haven't read anything by Joe Abercrombie start with The Blade Itself-- and if you like it read the rest of his books.
Peter V. Brett--The Warded Man
Scott Lynch--Lies Of Lock Lamora
J.V.Jones--A Sword Of Shadows
Lian Hearn--Tales Of Otori
Brent Weeks--The Way Of Shadows
Brian Ruckley--Godless World
Jim Butcher--Furies Of Calderon

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
thanks to both of you. Just bought The Blade Itself, hoping I like it! Will probably give Robin Hobb next crack after I finish / decide I don't like Abercrombie
You've got so much reading to go! Lots of great books to read (thought you have already read a lot of great books)

Welcome to the site.

I have recently started reading again. I really liked the Dresden Files and The Iron Druid Chronicles. Any suggestions of books that are similar would be appreciated.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
I have recently started reading again. I really liked the Dresden Files and The Iron Druid Chronicles. Any suggestions of books that are similar would be appreciated.
The humour in Dresden is dry (which I like), try The Blade Itself. really different types of fantasy but I find the humour akin.

Any other series or books you like to help us along? I don't know the Iron Druid Chronicles

Thank you for the response, The Blade Itself is on my list to read.

Those were the only two fantasy series I have read in the last five years. Before that, I read 15-20 of the Forgotten Realms books, Harry Potter, The Sword of Truth, Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising, Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Other than The Blade Itself, I am looking at Rift War, Eragon, A Game of Thrones and Orson Scott Card's The Seventh Son.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Other than The Blade Itself, I am looking at Rift War, Eragon, A Game of Thrones and Orson Scott Card's The Seventh Son.
Skip Eragon, it's rubbish; it was written by a high schooler and it is painfully obvious. There's very little creativity and no plot surprises whatsoever. It's the most paint-by-numbers books I have ever read.

Rift War is massive (29 books, I think, but not all are central to the main story-- check Alternate Reading Order | The Official Raymond E. Feist Website to see which are the ones you should read; skip all the non-essential series except the Empire trilogy) but very entertaining. I've read about 10 of them so far and been happy with them all.

Game of Thrones... well, enough has been said of A Song of Ice and Fire, and you'll likely be happy with it.

I just finished the first four of the Rift War books; the first two were very good. The local store didn't have the next book in the series or The Blade Itself.

I am also looking for some more books written in first person.

Thank you for any recommendations.

Patrick Rothfuss--The Name Of The Wind is in first person--well, when main character talks about his life, which is most of the book.

Carol Berg's books are mostly in first person.

SuperJudge

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
The most recent series i have read are a song of ice and fire and the malazan book of the fallen. I am in the middle reading the kingkiller chronicle and so far i love all 3 series. i have also read the farseer and tawny man series and quite enjoyed them as well. i know it may come as a shock but i am not a fan of lord of the rings and i have also been warned away from the wheel of time. Anyways i am looking for a few recommendations on which series i should read next. i have been told the black company is a good one, especially if i likd the malazan series. is it as good as i have been told? which others should i be looking at?
thanks in advanced.

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
"The First Law" might be a rather strange suggestion here, given that it is a 3-books-series of which all books are available by now, so there's no waiting for some years to find how it's going to end.
If that is a requirement, you might have a look at "The Warded Man", which is also not complete yet ;-)

No special reasons for the recommendation, other than that I liked "Song of Ice and Fire" and "The Name of the Wind" and I also liked the two others. (BTW, I also liked "Wheel of Time")

Best regards,
Andy

afa

Journeyed there and back again
"The First Law" might be a rather strange suggestion here, given that it is a 3-books-series of which all books are available by now, so there's no waiting for some years to find how it's going to end.
Yeah, I'll second that. Abercrombie is pretty much my go-to suggestion for Fantasy. Love his writing.

Once you're done with TFL, SuperJudge, go ahead and read his stand-alones - Best Served Cold and The Heroes. They're set in the same world as The First Law, but focus on different characters and largely in different places.

SuperJudge,

The Black Company is a fun read, not as complex as The Malazan though. I personaly liked Cook's The Instrumentalities Of The Night better.

SuperJudge

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
Thanks guys. I actually have The Black Company in the mail now so I will have to check out The First Law after I finish Black Company. I should have mentioned I am fan of sorcery and magic although its not required. The Song of Ice and Fire for example had very little magic but I still loved it. I really enjoyed how epic the magic was in The Malazan series tho and would be interested in a series that magical devastation of the scale of the Malazan books(waves of sorcery obliterating 100's or 1000's of dudes). Again its not required but I would prefer to read series that are complete or only a book away from being complete.
Is there much magic in The First Law? What is The Instrumentalities Of The Night like?

The Instrumentalities Of The Night reminds me of The Malazan, not the story and writing but atmosphere, the whole thing with gods,demigods, demons etc. You never know what will happen, humans and their world is like a playground.

There is not much magic in The First Law, but believe me his writing makes it fun and interesting, you won't care.