I like *this* so recommend me.....

SuperJudge

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
Honestly I enjoyed Orb Scepter Throne and Stone Wielder. Esslemont took some time to find his legs but his recent books have been pretty solid. It's not Erickson's level, the last two are close, but it answers allot of questions and moves the story forward. In fact I thought OST was right up there with Erickson's books. Esslemont basically fills on the holes that Erickson couldn't be bothered with, like the Crimson Guard, the Segulah, etc... If you're expecting a Malazan Book of the Fallen type novel outside of OST you're kidding your self, but it's still a rewarding experience to read about all of the characters you hear about through out Erickson's novels, particularly Daseem/Traveler.

Night of Knives was a fun if brief experience, if you wonder how things went down the night Kelanved and Dancer gained ascension it is worth reading. The Return of the Crimson Guard was rewarding that you got to get the inside info on the second ranked bad asses outside of the Malazan Marines, plus something pretty huge occurs towards the end of the book. The main character kind of grates on the nerves, but the writing gets better and better towards the end of the book.

Stonewielder was a very good book and would be right up there if it wasn't for books like Memories of Ice, which was damn near literary perfection.

Orb Scepter Throne finally answers a whole lot of questions that fans have been asking since the start of the series and makes some pretty major moves occur for a couple of characters. I rank it right up there with Erickson's novels, Esslemont has finally found his voice in the world he helped create and it's a hell of a read.

Both the Mistborn and Night Angel trilogies are more than worth a read, great books. Sanderson is an absolute genius and Weeks is a great character author.
Sounds like I'll have to read it all then lol. Thanks for the info.

Dale

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
actually I haven't read Night of Knives because i heard it wasn't very good. I need to make the order $25 or more to get free shipping so perhaps I will just order the Mistborn box set and one of the Esslemont books. They Esslemont books don't have to be read in order do they? Which one is the better one?
In terms of the order they should be read in:

Night of Knives occurs at about the same time as the prologue of Gardens of the Moon. It's fairly short, it's set over one night and it only has two POVs. It's pretty action packed and it isn't really like any of the other Malazan books (excluding the novellas).
Return of the Crimson Guard occurs straight after The Bonehunters. This is my favourite (of Esslemonts) because you learn about the Crimson Guard and the conclusion is right up there with the best. There's also a lot of warfare in this book, which Esslemont seems to excel at.
Stonewielder is essentially a direct sequel to Return of the Crimson Guard. It's set on the continent of Korel so you learn a lot about the Stormwall, Stormriders etc.
Orb Sceptre Throne follows Toll the Hounds. Funnily enough, this is my least favourite of his books. I really enjoyed the secondary story thread, but I had a few issues with the main thread. I suppose the biggest problem is that it's set in Darujhistan, which encourages a more direct comparison with Erikson's work. As such, some of the characters felt a little off in terms of their personality and humour. As mentioned though, a lot of long-standing questions are answered and it's still a very fine read.

Have you tried Erikson's novellas?

SuperJudge

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
In terms of the order they should be read in:

Night of Knives occurs at about the same time as the prologue of Gardens of the Moon. It's fairly short, it's set over one night and it only has two POVs. It's pretty action packed and it isn't really like any of the other Malazan books (excluding the novellas).
Return of the Crimson Guard occurs straight after The Bonehunters. This is my favourite (of Esslemonts) because you learn about the Crimson Guard and the conclusion is right up there with the best. There's also a lot of warfare in this book, which Esslemont seems to excel at.
Stonewielder is essentially a direct sequel to Return of the Crimson Guard. It's set on the continent of Korel so you learn a lot about the Stormwall, Stormriders etc.
Orb Sceptre Throne follows Toll the Hounds. Funnily enough, this is my least favourite of his books. I really enjoyed the secondary story thread, but I had a few issues with the main thread. I suppose the biggest problem is that it's set in Darujhistan, which encourages a more direct comparison with Erikson's work. As such, some of the characters felt a little off in terms of their personality and humour. As mentioned though, a lot of long-standing questions are answered and it's still a very fine read.

Have you tried Erikson's novellas?
I have not read any of the novellas no. Does the storyline of Crimson Guard and Stonewielder cross over? or Could I read Stonewielder first? I have always been interested in the stormwall and stormriders.
Also I was a big fan of The Dark Tower, has anyone read The Wind Through the Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel ? does it measure up?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
A LIGHT READ BETWEEN BOOKS

So I'm midway into ASoIaF, and fancy a little break from it to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it .. but I always like to break up epic series a bit.

So I'm looking for a standalone book, one without maps (i want to read it on my kindle and don't like the e-maps), one which is fairly light and 'easy' to get through. I've gone through the Best Standalone List - but was hoping someone could give me some recommendations based on what I like. I really enjoyed:

All Sanderson books
WoT
Farseer Trilogy (loved this)
Gormenghast (best books i've read)

Like I said, I'm after an easy quick read, any suggestions?

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ender's Game. It's sci-fi, but it's short, standalone and very well written. Also, Sandersons Warbreaker, which you can get for free on his homepage (i dont know if it exists in print), and as all his works, excellent.

If you dont mind divulging in a lnger series, go for the Dresden files. All the books are short-medium lengh, well written, funny and you can easily read one of these whenever you need a break from epic fantasy, amd still follow the story in the series if you keep reading it.

But seriously, read Ender's Game first. It's like Dune, a must read sci-fi, and equally fantastic in my opinion.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
I've used dresdan files as a break between heavier more intense seriers. Often i'd love it so much i'd read two or three then go back to a long seriers. The books are really short most arounbd 200-300 pages.

I also like Gemmell for a break in reading, he is VERY different from all other authors i've read so it's a nice change of pace.

Hope it helps

Dale

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
I have not read any of the novellas no. Does the storyline of Crimson Guard and Stonewielder cross over? or Could I read Stonewielder first? I have always been interested in the stormwall and stormriders.
Also I was a big fan of The Dark Tower, has anyone read The Wind Through the Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel ? does it measure up?
I think it's pretty important that you read Return of the Crimson Guard beforehand. A lot of the story threads in Stonewielder are influenced by the conclusion of Return of the Crimson Guard.

afa

Journeyed there and back again
Like I said, I'm after an easy quick read, any suggestions?
I second Danica's suggestion.

There are about 13 books in The Dresden Files at present, but they are quasi-standalone and are pretty fast paced and quick to read. It is, in fact, a very good series in its own right.

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
You could totally read Stone Wielder before Crimson Guard, although you'd probably loose some of the emotional impact of Crimson Guard as you get to know the characters in ICE's novels.

To be honest I'd find an official reading order for the books and read them in that order so you don't miss anything. Maybe we should do that on here just so reading order is available in a convenient fashion as a resource?

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
Ender's Game. It's sci-fi, but it's short, standalone and very well written.
Actually, it is not stand-alone, the seqels are "Speaker for the Dead", "Xenocide", "Children of the Mind" and then some more that look at the story from other viewpoints.

I would suggest that "Speaker for the Dead" might be even better than "Enders game" and that it starts to go down a bit with "Xenocide", "Children of the Mind" does have some lengths and is a bit heavy on religious stuff, but is still worth reading.

Best regards,
Andy

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
While you are ofcourse correct, I meant the book was a standalone, in the way that it finishes the story it's telling, in one book. Much like Dune is a standalone novel, although there is a whole series of books. I can't word it correctly, but I hope you get my drift.

Personally, I didnt enjoy any of the sequels to Ender's Game, but I did enjoy the parallel books revolving around Bean, Petra, Alai, Hot Soup and so on a lot. I would still say go for Ender's Game, because it can be read as a standalone book and it's pretty damn good.

Edit: Isn't that the definition of a standalone book? Or am I completely off-track?

As far as I remember, the sequels all tell one long story, strung together through many books to complete the storyline. But it's been 5 years or so since I picked up anything but Ender's Game.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the tips guys. I've started reading Ender's Game, am about a third way through at the moment. I like it - not the kind of book i'd usually read (in fact, it's the first sci-fi book i've read - but then again it's not massively sci-fi so far, not in the traditional sense I'd expect anyhow). But it was what I was after - something light and easy with a good story that wasn't going to use much grey matter. Just out of interest (not knowing the genre much), is it a 'young adult' type of book? Maybe i'm just getting too used to ASoIaF, with all of the 'spilling of seeds' and the C word every other page :) !!

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Ender's Game is a good read, the rest of the series you can give or take, it's good reading but never comes close to approaching what EG did.

We're currently reading the Anubis Gates in the book club, it's a book that you can either glaze over and take for face value or get in depth with and really analyze every big scene. It's pretty funny book, but the more I dig into it the more I get out of the experience of reading it. The first 90 or so pages take some getting into, but once you start being able to see that future events rely on the events of the past the more you'll get out of the book. Everything has consequences, whether you realize it or not.

Either way that you read it it's a good time. I think it's one of the best stand alone fantasy books ever and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK finished Enders Game, really enjoyed it! Great ending!
I've seriously got no clue about the sci-fi genre, this was my first foray. Any similar recommendations to this (i.e. easy read sci-fi)
Thanks!

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
I've seriously got no clue about the sci-fi genre, this was my first foray. Any similar recommendations to this (i.e. easy read sci-fi)
Thanks!
Tuf Voyaging by George R.R. Martin

Hi, guys.

Looking back at my fantasy reading history I feel nostalgia towards the Vlad Taltos series, especially the first few books - clever jokes and not too serious. Is there a similar read to that? No sci-fi please.

Thanks in advance!

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
To me it sounds as if you're looking for anything by Neil Gaiman or the Dresden files by Jim Butcher. The Dresden files is an urban fantasy series following the paranormal investigator and wizard, Harry Dresden. It's certainly funny and most of the time, not too serious.

Plus it's a great read. There's a reason it's on the top 25 alltime fantasy books/series for most of us

I finished Ready Player One today and am ready to induldge myself again in another fantasty-based dystopia.

I enjoy books that are set in the future that allow me to question.. "What if this all really happened?"

Most of my history of novels are strictly fantasy-based novels. Set in worlds of elves, dwarves, and other mytical creatures. After reading the Hunger Games and RPO, I'm starting to enjoy this futuristic gone-to-hell America.

Do you have any recommendations for this style of books?

Thanks!

Try Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan, it's sci-fi meets film noir and is frickin cool as hell. Also anything by Dan Simmons. Illium and Olympos are my favorite by him. They take the Illiad and bring it to life in a sci-fi story and they are fantastic. Not as light a read as Ender's Game or my first suggestion but well worth a read. Simmons also won the Hugo award for his other sci-fi series Hyperion. Also great, but not as good as Illium and Olympos in my opinion.