I like *this* so recommend me.....

I finished Ready Player One today and am ready to induldge myself again in another fantasty-based dystopia.

I enjoy books that are set in the future that allow me to question.. "What if this all really happened?"

Most of my history of novels are strictly fantasy-based novels. Set in worlds of elves, dwarves, and other mytical creatures. After reading the Hunger Games and RPO, I'm starting to enjoy this futuristic gone-to-hell America.

Do you have any recommendations for this style of books?
Check out Sci-Fi Forum I'm sure you'll find something good to read there. Sorry I have nothing.

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
For JeriKu.

The Coldfire trilogy by CS Friedman seems to fit your bill pretty good. I liked it quite a lot. Fantasy set in the future.

But aside from that, I also think you might want to look a bit more into sci fi, as very few fantasy books take up the post apocalyptic angle. There's also quite a few horror/zombie books set in a post apocalyptic world.

If you still want to pick up fantasy, you could try out the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. The story is set in an alternative timeline or dimension, but it's a traditional fantasy. Basically, the premise of this book is to tell what happened to the lost roman legion, Legio X Hispana (Legio IX Hispana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). The legion itself is not the focus of the story, which takes place many many 100s of years later, but it sets the background for the society and structure. I think it's an exciting take on what happened, and roman fantasy mixed with traditional fantasy is not the norm.

Although I wouldnt recommend it, you could also go for Shadow Ops: Control point by Myke Cole. I found it to be a good read at times, but overall not a good book. You can read a real review of it here: Fantasy Book Critic: Shadow Ops: Control Point by Myke Cole (Reviewed by Mihir Wanchoo)

If you want some horror/drama/zombie recommendations, let us know. I can give you a few there, even though I haven't read a lot in this genre.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Also for Jeriku

no worries.

Gone to hell future america?
Well you can go with some classic science fiction like
Brave New World
I am Legend

I also like Canticle for Leibowitz

I just read Storm Front by Jim Butcher. It was short and easy to read. However, it was not what I expected. There was very little humour in it. The general "criminology" feel to it did not appeal to me as well. Any recommendations involving some humour and fantasy?

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Same thing I say in all of these threads, read Joe Abercrombie, buy his books and revel in the wrongness that they all present. You'll laugh at least once inappropriately several times per book.

Piers Anthony is pretty funny as well.

Terry Prachet is the the master of funny fantasy.

Have you read Good Omens? One of the funniest books I've ever read.

Thanks for the reply!

I've tried reading Prachet but I did not like his style. Somehow I like Steven Brust's style - dark, witty humour. At least in the first books that take place in the world of Dragaera. I will give your other suggestions a go, though!

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Prachet is British humor, he's not for everyone, I'll stand by my recommendations of Abercrombie though, he sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

Dale

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
Prachet is British humor, he's not for everyone, I'll stand by my recommendations of Abercrombie though, he sounds like exactly what you're looking for.
Abercrombie also uses British humour :)

With Pratchett, it's not so much his sense of humour that I mind (I actually find him really funny). When I read, I like to find (morally ambiguous) characters that I can relate to, and complex, unpredictable story-lines.

Jon Snow

Staff member
Same thing I say in all of these threads, read Joe Abercrombie, buy his books and revel in the wrongness that they all present. You'll laugh at least once inappropriately several times per book.

Piers Anthony is pretty funny as well.

Terry Prachet is the the master of funny fantasy.

Have you read Good Omens? One of the funniest books I've ever read.
I thought Good Omens was a real let down. There is so much that book could have done with

Thanks for the reply!

I've tried reading Prachet but I did not like his style. Somehow I like Steven Brust's style - dark, witty humour. At least in the first books that take place in the world of Dragaera. I will give your other suggestions a go, though!
You have to find the right Pratchett books as he has many different main characters in the different books. You need to find his Guards books as they are the best ones.

Dresden Files isn't out right ha ha funny but more sarcastic and dry humour. I don't think there are many fantasy books when you just want to throw the book in the air and chortle.

Hey,

I'm looking for new books. I think I like the harry potter books the most. Now I'm reading the name of the wind, which I also like very much. The reason why I like harry potter so much is because there is so much excitement in it, which I miss in much other fantasy books.
I hope you know some books for me.

thanks,

afa

Journeyed there and back again
Welcome to the forums.

Hmmm... what do you mean by excitement, exactly? Neither Harry Potter nor The Name of the Wind were fast paced, so I guess that's not it. Nor are they action packed. Was it the characters you liked? The sense of 'nobody who turns into somebody'?

From your two reads, it's probably not easy to really get a handle on what you might like. But fear not! There are loads of good Fantasy out there, and you will certainly find some you like.

If you want somewhat 'traditiona' Fantasy that has a heavier focus on magic, try out Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy. Or even his two stand-alone novels, Elantris and Warbreaker. If you are in the mood for a gigantic series that will keep you busy for a few months try out Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time. If you would like to dip into the world of darker, grittier, more 'adult' Fantasy that has healthy doses of political intrigue and surprise twists, you could try George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire (the series that the HBO show Game of Thrones is based on).

Or you could always try out my favorite, Joe Abercrombie, starting with The First Law trilogy.

Hello afa,

Thanks for your tips. I've read The wheel of time, but I stopped at part 7 because beacause it found it too slow pacing (I liked the first books though). I also read the the first book of a song of ice and fire, I liked the book, but I didn't find it exciting enough. I also read the first two books of the first law and I am certainly going to read the last one. With excitement I mean that at some parts of the books it's just almost scary and the whole book long I just can't wait to read futher. I don't find that the name of the wind is scary but can't stop reading it. For example the end of harry potter part 6 I found really exciting and also in part 7 when they are at mathilda's.

I'm sorry it was kind of hard to explain, because my english is nog so well ;)

afa

No need to apologise.

Well, unless you really hated WoT, you might want to continue. It's not really a surprise that you stopped at book 7; 7-10 is right around the time that the series does slow down (with book 10 being the slowest). But they're still a decent enough read, and the series starts picking up with book 11 onwards, and Sanderson has done a good job since he took over the series from book 12.

You didn't find ASoIaF exciting? Now that's interesting. I would say that the first 3 books of the series are among the best Fantasy I have read (though it does get less so with books 4 and 5). But if you didn't really enjoy the first one that much, then there would be no point in continuing.

Definitely do finish The First Law. And once you are done with those, go ahead and read Abercrombie's stand-alone novels set in the same world (but not directly related to the trilogy) - Best Served Cold and specially The Heroes, which was a spectacular book and probably my favorite of his. And maybe give Sanderson's book a try too.

Also, you might want to head on over to the main website (you'll find the link for Best Fantasy Books at the bottom of the page). There's a whole bunch of lists with great recommendations over there. In fact, when I got into Fantasy a few years ago, pretty much all of the books on my wish list were from there.

Jon Snow

Staff member
Wild Speculator: I find that those that don't like GoT is because they don't like/can't follow the political maneuverings

At game of thrones I found the pieces where john snow played in very interesting. I was very curious what was behind the wall. But I found the character Ned Stark not really interesting. But I think I will still read the second book. Thanks for your tips.

Jon Snow

Staff member
At game of thrones I found the pieces where john snow played in very interesting. I was very curious what was behind the wall. But I found the character Ned Stark not really interesting. But I think I will still read the second book. Thanks for your tips.
Ned's character wasn't suppose to be interesting. He was the out and out good guy. Good guys are boring if you didn't know. Anyways, I don't think you have to worry about Ned in the second book. His character got better if looking through your eyes =)

Derk of Derkholm

Short interruption regarding funny/humorous Science fiction / Fantasy type books - has anyone read any Robert Rankin?

Now, his humour is definitely British, so I would suggest him to all those who like Tery Pratchett or Douglas Adams.
A good place to start might be "Armageddon - The Musical" or "The Antipope". (Both are the first books of trilogies)

His books are set in today's world where normal people are faced with occult and fantastic, and funny, occurences.

In an interview Rankin stated that he himself wanted to create a new genre of fiction, called "Far Fetched Fiction", so that he would have his own book shelf in Smiths
Best regards,
Andy

I used to read only girly books, ever since witnessing a making of A Game of Thrones (part of it) and reading the books I crossed to the dark side. I'm from Croatia (appologies for bad english) temporarily living in Boston for the additional schooling. Since I'm still new to this type of Fantasy I wanted to ask you for the series with the court intrigue, manipulation, dying..well you might say something like Martin's series. Something with a big brain and less brawn. Thanks.

Jon Snow

Staff member
I used to read only girly books, ever since witnessing a making of A Game of Thrones (part of it) and reading the books I crossed to the dark side. I'm from Croatia (appologies for bad english) temporarily living in Boston for the additional schooling. Since I'm still new to this type of Fantasy I wanted to ask you for the series with the court intrigue, manipulation, dying..well you might say something like Martin's series. Something with a big brain and less brawn. Thanks.
I would suggest Brandon Sanderson. Try Warbreaker, a lot of mystery+court intrigue and very unique magic system, perhaps THE most unique in fantasy right now. Dune by Frank Herbert is a mixture between fantasy and science fiction (it's more fantasy set in space). The first book is all about setting up and mostly action but the subsequent books are all about political agendas.