I like *this* so recommend me.....

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
I loved The Gunslinger. To clarify, I thought it was, by and large, a piece of shit, but the ending was all worth it. The redeeming portion of this book, is found in the last 50 pages or so.

One of my very good friends used years to convince me to read the dark tower series. I did not enjoy book 2-7. If you're more about the journey than the destination, this series is probably for you though. You being anyone who read this.

The ending was to me, the biggest cop out ever. No imagination or answers. Granted, books don't need to provide those, but I just felt this long long series of book should lead up to something and not offer up the least imaginative ending. I dont even think I've ever felt so unsatisfied by a book or series. Ever. Well, maybe once, reading the Eragon books. Yikes!

fbones24

Journeyed there and back again
I just wanted to update everyone on my reading and thank everyone who had a recommendation for me.

As soon as I woke up Saturday morning, I purchased "Legend" on my Kindle. By Sunday night, I was done with it. It was an engrossing read full of fun characters. What I found most compelling was the atmosphere Gemmell created at Dros Delnoch. I felt like I was there at the battle, with the men. Not so much the descriptions of the battle scenes, but the atmosphere surrounding those fighting was incredible.

The book had its shortfalls. I thought it was very "fantastical" with some cliche/corny lines. Things like, "Come get me you lardass!" prior to a fight just throw me off. I am nitpicking as the story was a page-turner that I obviously could not put down. So, thank you again everyone. I'm glad I put down Dark Tower to read this.

Now, I am just trying to decide if I should continue with Gemmell and read Troy or check out Mistborn or Farseer??? This will be a commitment! :)

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both Mistborn and Farseer are fantastic reads. Go for Mistborn first. Has one of the coolest magic systems ever.

And Farseer just is that good. I lack the words to describe how much i love the characters in the Farseer universe.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
For characters that you fall in love with, I'd go for Gormenghast everytime! I've never read a book that has left me so emotionally drained before. Parts of that book left me heartbroken!

fbones24

For characters that you fall in love with, I'd go for Gormenghast everytime! I've never read a book that has left me so emotionally drained before. Parts of that book left me heartbroken!
I started reading Titus Groan about 10 months ago when my son was born. I was engrossed in the writing and the world. I remember thinking it was like nothing I had ever read. I stopped reading it because I realized that it was an investment and with a newborn, it was not going to get the attention it deserved. I am going to come back to it because I remember a special feeling after reading the beginning of that book.

btkong

Staff member
If you guys like Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, you'll probably love The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevine Hearne with the protaganist being a witty wise-cracking, magic bashing, druidic version of Dresden.

It's very similar in style without being a clone; it does take a few books for the author to really find his voice, but once he does, fantastic reading if you like urban "detective" fantasy that Dresden has made quite popular

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you guys like Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, you'll probably love The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevine Hearne with the protaganist being a witty wise-cracking, magic bashing, druidic version of Dresden.

It's very similar in style without being a clone; it does take a few books for the author to really find his voice, but once he does, fantastic reading if you like urban "detective" fantasy that Dresden has made quite popular
I've read and enjoyed those aswell, however, I think it's a very very close knock-off of the Dresden files. Without letting any plotlines slip, I think it's safe to say, that the line-up of characters are very close to that of the Dresden files, and some of the characters are pretty much identical in many ways.
The books are ok, but sub-Dresden in my opinion. The setup for the books however, is one I find very interesting. I just wish he would have done more "something" with it. Feels like a generic Dresden files filler to me, without doing a good enough job of it.

If you want books like Dresden files, I would instead suggest "The 20 Palace Society"-series by Harry Conolly (although it has been discontinued due to poor sales). It's a great series in my opinion, and there's 3 books out so far. Book 3 doesnt leave any huge spoilers unanswered, but you will yearn to know more about everything. But it looks like we're in for a long wait on that one sadly.
The series starts with Child of Fire: Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1) by Harry Connolly - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

And then I would also recommend Justin Shiers "Zero Sight"-series. He's selfpublished, but it's still the closest to Dresden you'll get without reading the Dresden files books themselves. There's 2 books out, but they feel more like two halves of one book. The series starts with Zero Sight: Zero Sight (Zero Sight, #1) by B. Justin Shier - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Hey there

I just finnished reading the Eragon/Inheritance Cycle and really enjoyed it. I've not read a whole lot of fantasy before. I was wondering if you guys had some recommendations of what I may like.

I like the setting and general storyline, even if it was a bit mainstreamish, of Inheritance. Also I like to have a bit of romance thrown in to the story.

Preferably it would be at least a trilogy or a even longer series (or a book with planned sequels) as I enjoy longer stories.

One last thing, I consider it a big bonus, it would be great if the book is "big"/known enough to perhaps be translated in my local language (swedish) and maybe even as an audiobook.

PS. I realize a lot of people appear to hate the Eragon books, and I can kind of see why, with the stolen ideas and stuff, but I enjoyed it anyhow, sue me. Could be because of my lack of fantasy books to compare it too, I dont know.The ending pissed me off though.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Hey there

I just finnished reading the Eragon/Inheritance Cycle and really enjoyed it. I've not read a whole lot of fantasy before. I was wondering if you guys had some recommendations of what I may like.
I have heard that Paolini ripped off a lot from David Eddings, among others. So if you liked Eragon and sequels, you might want to check out the Belgariad or the Malloreon for the source material (I've read the first of those two series, not the second). No idea if they're available in Swedish but they're several decades old, at least, and classics in the field, so I figure you've got a good shot. I used to have a link to a blog with side-by-side comparisons of Paolini/Eddings, but it seems the blog in question has gone "invitation only" so I won't bother to share a useless link.

Antoxx

Hey there

I like the setting and general storyline, even if it was a bit mainstreamish, of Inheritance. Also I like to have a bit of romance thrown in to the story.

Preferably it would be at least a trilogy or a even longer series (or a book with planned sequels) as I enjoy longer stories.

One last thing, I consider it a big bonus, it would be great if the book is "big"/known enough to perhaps be translated in my local language (swedish) and maybe even as an audiobook.

PS. I realize a lot of people appear to hate the Eragon books, and I can kind of see why, with the stolen ideas and stuff, but I enjoyed it anyhow, sue me. Could be because of my lack of fantasy books to compare it too, I dont know.The ending pissed me off though.
To be honest I haven't read Eragon so maybe I shouldn't even post here, but you may wish to give Tigana a read based on it having some romance and also there being a Swedish version available. Have a look here to aee if it might be worthwhile:http://http://www.brightweavings.com/books/tigana.htm
Note, there be no dragons here (nor in fact any other fantasy creatures) so it might not be what you're after but if you're prepared to try some new stuff, this could be something for you (note also, that a lot of people do find this slow going).

To be honest I haven't read Eragon so maybe I shouldn't even post here, but you may wish to give Tigana a read based on it having some romance and also there being a Swedish version available. Have a look here to aee if it might be worthwhile:http://http://www.brightweavings.com/books/tigana.htm
Note, there be no dragons here (nor in fact any other fantasy creatures) so it might not be what you're after but if you're prepared to try some new stuff, this could be something for you (note also, that a lot of people do find this slow going).
There being no dragons is no problem at all. I understand it may seem like I want more dragon stuff because I liked Eragon, but that was not my intention at all really. Just wanted a good fantasy book, with no particular niche in mind.

I'll definitely check out Tigana, as well as the Belgariad and Malloreon mentioned by the previous poster, and see which one peaks my interest.

I just now got another recommendation from a friend, The Wheel of Time series, which also seems interesting, anybody here read it and can share some thoughts?

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
I totally agree, if you enjoyed the Inheritance Trilogy you'd love Tigana.

I'd hesitate to point you towards a darker places in fantasy, which I tend to go like Martin or Erickson.

You also might like the Acacia Trilogy, it's tad darker, but it's a ton of fun and Mena is a whole lot of fun to read as a complete character.

I totally agree, if you enjoyed the Inheritance Trilogy you'd love Tigana.

I'd hesitate to point you towards a darker places in fantasy, which I tend to go like Martin or Erickson.

You also might like the Acacia Trilogy, it's tad darker, but it's a ton of fun and Mena is a whole lot of fun to read as a complete character.
I've actually read the first song of ice and fire book from Martin, but I've decided to try to avoid reading the rest of them, to not spoil the excellent tv show which I love.
But I could definitely go for something a bit darker/adult than Inheritance.
The Acacia seems very cool but unfortunately it doesn't appear to be out in Swedish yet, so I think I'll choose one of the other alternatives that are.

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would not recommend Tigana and Acacia for anyone, especially not someone who's forays into fantasy only covers Eragon and some GRR.

The prose ine the Inheritance cycle gets progressively worse, going from a heavily edited debut, to the unedited ravings of a 15 year old illiterate in Inheritance. I for one, would like to see miss Burrito do an analysis and comparison of the stories and the prose some day.

Tigana and Acacia is probably as far removed from Eragon as anything can be. For starters, the prose is so much further ahead. I always think os Tigana as a hard book to read, because around half the words in the book deals with the environment in some way or other.

I would recommend some lighter works, especially if you want it in swedish. Harry Potter, The name of the wind (Vindens navn) by patrick rothfuss, the painted man by peter v brett. Anything by Brandon Sanderson. The above are more or less books all can agree on being great, but are a lot easier to read. The are story driven and unique in some way. And you can find a few of these in swedish.

But You seem to be fairly proficient in english, so I would tell you to read thebooks in their original language. They lose some in the translation. And for the love of all things Game of Thrones, dont watch theshow first and spoil the books. They areso much more than the tv show can ever be.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I would not recommend Tigana and Acacia for anyone, especially not someone who's forays into fantasy only covers Eragon and some GRR.
I found the Acacia books (well, I've read the first two, third has been sitting on my shelf for awhile) difficult to finish. It's hard to say why, exactly. I don't require happy endings in the novels I read, and I prefer protagonists who aren't Mary Sues. I don't even mind the allegory with the Atlantic slave trade. I found there to be some sympathetic characters and some I didn't like so much (Corinn or whatever her name was -- it's been awhile -- was one I just didn't care for). But there was just something about those books that didn't sit right with me. I don't think I'd recommend them to beginners, either. (I was not a beginner when I read them. And I will finish the series, just to find out what happens, but it won't rank among my favorites.)

Tigana, on the other hand, I loved and didn't think it was hard to read at all. (But then, I am a well-educated native English speaker with a big vocabulary.) I feel the same way about pretty much all of Guy Gavriel Kay's books, though there are some I like more than others. I was about to recommend the Fionavar Tapestry (because of the tie-ins to the Arthurian legend), but then I started thinking about all the dark and depressing things in it, and now I'm not so sure. (I liked it just fine, but for a newbie, well, I don't know.)

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
If you want don't mind dark then I'll toss out the same thing I always do, the First Law Trilogy/the stand-alones by Joe Abercrombie, I can't recommend his writing enough, the first book is a tad difficult to get through the first 3/4's of the book, but once everything comes together it's pure awesomness until the end of the trilogy and his stand alone books in the same world are all fantastic reads.

I actually just spent 50 US dollars to get the UK version of his new book, Red Country, from Amazon UK a week earlier than it comes out here in the US, that and the cover is infinitely times better than the US version. That's how much I think of him as an author. I personally think his last stand alone book, the Heroes, was one of the finest achievements in fantasy in the last decade and one of my favorite fantasy books of all time.

I'm fairly certain his books, or at least the initial trilogy, are available in Swedish.

There being no dragons is no problem at all. I understand it may seem like I want more dragon stuff because I liked Eragon, but that was not my intention at all really. Just wanted a good fantasy book, with no particular niche in mind.

I'll definitely check out Tigana, as well as the Belgariad and Malloreon mentioned by the previous poster, and see which one peaks my interest.

I just now got another recommendation from a friend, The Wheel of Time series, which also seems interesting, anybody here read it and can share some thoughts?
I hope Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn is translated, even if it's not you can read it in english, you don't need years worth of courses to read his writing (his writing is not pretentious). As to The Wheel of Time try one or two books and see how much you'll like the characters, story and writing because around book 6/7 the story slows down and if you find the first two books meh than you'll probably hate books 7 -11. I personally love the series and those slow books didn't bother me at all. So, it's really up to you--try it you might like it.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
I've actually read the first song of ice and fire book from Martin, but I've decided to try to avoid reading the rest of them, to not spoil the excellent tv show which I love.
But I could definitely go for something a bit darker/adult than Inheritance.
The Acacia seems very cool but unfortunately it doesn't appear to be out in Swedish yet, so I think I'll choose one of the other alternatives that are.
Not sure if I've welcomed you to the board! But Welcome! Hope you stay. Keep posting as post count will contribute to some giveaways very soon!

afa

It's one of those series that you will find a lot of conflicting opinions on. There are many who have read the books, and found the series boring after the first couple of books. There are those who liked the books, but gave up around book 7 or 8 (there are 13 out right now, with the 14th and final one expected early next year). Then there are those who rank the series as among their favorites.

The series does slow down around books 7-10 but, like kraden, I never found them to be too bad and overall I still rank the series fairly high. I think his advice is good; try out the first two or three, and if you don't like the series already then there is no point in continuing.

And like Frizzo, I can't recommend Joe Abercrombie highly enough. Amazing writer.

I found the Acacia books (well, I've read the first two, third has been sitting on my shelf for awhile) difficult to finish. It's hard to say why, exactly. I don't require happy endings in the novels I read, and I prefer protagonists who aren't Mary Sues. I don't even mind the allegory with the Atlantic slave trade. I found there to be some sympathetic characters and some I didn't like so much (Corinn or whatever her name was -- it's been awhile -- was one I just didn't care for). But there was just something about those books that didn't sit right with me.
I agree. I actually wasn't very fond of even the first book, though it was rated highly, and nothing in the next two changed my mind. It's a just-about-decent series overall, but there is far better stuff out there.