I like *this* so recommend me.....

fbones24

Journeyed there and back again
I hate to cut into the conversation, but I wanted to update everyone on my re-introduction to Abercrombie and The First Law. When I joined the forum, I was saying how I did not enjoy The Blade Itself. I found the writing almost immature. Anyway, thanks to the high praise heaped on the series in this forum, I have given it another go. Breezed through The Blade Itself and realized that I was turned off by Jezal, but really took to the other characters. The writing is so-so, but I was sucked in.

Well, 10% into Before They Were Hanged and I can see Abercrombie's progression. I can already tell this book is well ahead of the first. I'm glad you guys/gals pushed me back towards this series. I look forward to finishing it and checking out his other books.

Antoxx

I hate to cut into the conversation, but I wanted to update everyone on my re-introduction to Abercrombie and The First Law. When I joined the forum, I was saying how I did not enjoy The Blade Itself. I found the writing almost immature. Anyway, thanks to the high praise heaped on the series in this forum, I have given it another go. Breezed through The Blade Itself and realized that I was turned off by Jezal, but really took to the other characters. The writing is so-so, but I was sucked in.

Well, 10% into Before They Were Hanged and I can see Abercrombie's progression. I can already tell this book is well ahead of the first. I'm glad you guys/gals pushed me back towards this series. I look forward to finishing it and checking out his other books.
The wisdom of the crowd can be a wonderful thing.

I also share your sentiment as I've got loads of good advice off the forum from others who have read a lot more than me and whose opinions I trust.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
The wisdom of the crowd can be a wonderful thing.

I also share your sentiment as I've got loads of good advice off the forum from others who have read a lot more than me and whose opinions I trust.
That's why I decided to hang out in this forum instead of some of the other ones out there. I could tell that, from the posts here I skimmed, as well as the BFB website, that I would get recommendations that were worthwhile. You know, like when I have enough money to actually go and buy books again. (Also because of the fact that moderators actually seem to visit regularly. Have you ever been to the Tor.com forums? I've never seen so many spam posts in one place as I have there.)

Antoxx

That's why I decided to hang out in this forum instead of some of the other ones out there. I could tell that, from the posts here I skimmed, as well as the BFB website, that I would get recommendations that were worthwhile. You know, like when I have enough money to actually go and buy books again. (Also because of the fact that moderators actually seem to visit regularly. Have you ever been to the Tor.com forums? I've never seen so many spam posts in one place as I have there.)
Wow, looks like 28 PAGES of drug spams! Up to July 2012 in your blog so well done on sending the manuscript out (and for defending your PhD).

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe

Let me know what you think of the end of the trilogy when you get there.

He does indeed get better as he goes along, his next book takes a step back, Best Served Cold is really good, but it's not quite the tight package that the last two books in the trilogy were.

I thought that Before they are Hanged was the best book in the trilogy, I actually enjoyed Jezeal by the end of it, him and Glotka's growth through out the series and then the ending really made am impression on me. It was a total game changer as far as fantasy goes for me.

fbones24

Let me know what you think of the end of the trilogy when you get there.

He does indeed get better as he goes along, his next book takes a step back, Best Served Cold is really good, but it's not quite the tight package that the last two books in the trilogy were.

I thought that Before they are Hanged was the best book in the trilogy, I actually enjoyed Jezeal by the end of it, him and Glotka's growth through out the series and then the ending really made am impression on me. It was a total game changer as far as fantasy goes for me.
I will definitely keep everyone posted on my thoughts at the end of the second and third books. "Game Changer" you say? Wow, really looking forward to reading the rest of this series.

Hikerike

Owns a Ring of Power
Hi

Im looking for some new series/book and trust someone here can help me :)

I like witty, charismatic and funny characters (like Matt from Wot or Kvothe from KKC). I also like when the protagonist has a love interest so some romance is highly appreciated. Does not have to be the main point of story though.

I keep looking at the Mistborn trilogy in the local store but for some reason i hesitate. Maybe its because the protagonist is a female (?) Did love Arya from ASoIaF though, I think im just traumatised after robert jordans female characters.

I have read Wot , ASoIaF , The way of kings and just recently the Kingkiller Chronicles.

Thanks

Hi

Im looking for some new series/book and trust someone here can help me :)

I like witty, charismatic and funny characters (like Matt from Wot or Kvothe from KKC). I also like when the protagonist has a love interest so some romance is highly appreciated. Does not have to be the main point of story though.

I keep looking at the Mistborn trilogy in the local store but for some reason i hesitate. Maybe its because the protagonist is a female (?) Did love Arya from ASoIaF though, I think im just traumatised after robert jordans female characters.

I have read Wot , ASoIaF , The way of kings and just recently the Kingkiller Chronicles.

Thanks
Do read Mistborn, male character is awesome, also his (Sanderson's) Warbreaker and Elantris.

Antoxx

Do read Mistborn, male character is awesome, also his (Sanderson's) Warbreaker and Elantris.
Mistborn was the first thing that popped in my mind when I started reading your post. Definitely a must read. I won't plug First Law trilogy here as I'm sure someone else will. Meets your criteria although dependant on what kind of romance you're after.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Dresden Files perhaps. Not so dark light reading, male character, he has a quirky sense of humour, definitely witty and has a love interest.

afa

Welcome to the forums.

Mistborn is a good series, and worth reading, though it doesn't necessarily fit in with your stated requirements. I don't remember any particularly witty comments from the primary protagonists. But if you're not too hung up on that, it is a series worth delving into, particularly if you found that you like Sanderson's writing. I would second Jon's recommendation of The Dresden Files. I think it fits the bill in terms of what you were looking for.

I would always recommend Joe Abercrombie's novels, starting with The First Law, though it doesn't necessarily fit the above quoted requirements. It's more on the dark humor side of things, and it's definitely more adult and violent, but since you've already read the likes of ASoIaF, then I think you'll like it.

Antoxx

Welcome to the forums.

Mistborn is a good series, and worth reading, though it doesn't necessarily fit in with your stated requirements. I don't remember any particularly witty comments from the primary protagonists. But if you're not too hung up on that, it is a series worth delving into, particularly if you found that you like Sanderson's writing. I would second Jon's recommendation of The Dresden Files. I think it fits the bill in terms of what you were looking for.

I would always recommend Joe Abercrombie's novels, starting with The First Law, though it doesn't necessarily fit the above quoted requirements. It's more on the dark humor side of things, and it's definitely more adult and violent, but since you've already read the likes of ASoIaF, then I think you'll like it.
And there it is. :)

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
I would second Jon's recommendation of The Dresden Files. I think it fits the bill in terms of what you were looking for.
afa agrees with me...the Mayans were right...the world IS ending.

Hikerike

Owns a Ring of Power
Thanks alot for the replies and the warm welcome! I actually ordered first two books of mistborn trilogy , The blade itself and Elantris. So ill have plenty to read :D!

I think i phrased it wrong. I do find romance important , but only because i dont feel like a character is real unless it shows some interest in the opposite sex. Like Rands (from wot) romance sucks, just horrible imo but WoT as a whole is still one of my favourite series.

Have anyone read The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by NK Jemisin? I know there are many reviews but i always feel more confident about a book when someone sais a book is good.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Have anyone read The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by NK Jemisin? I know there are many reviews but i always feel more confident about a book when someone sais a book is good.
I actually did like this book, and the two sequels. But, they definitely appeal to a certain type of person. Female lead characters in the first two (but not in the last one, despite the description on the book jacket). There's romance of a sort, and sex, but a lot of it is among Jemisin's gods. Now, her gods are different from humans in terms of morality and so forth, and that's why I say "romance of a sort." There's betrayal and manipulation, though not much actual fighting (as I recall -- except at the end of the last one). It's been awhile since I read the first two, so I could have forgotten something. For what it's worth, the female characters were more believable than, say, WoT.

No idea if it's like Twilight as Lolth says, as I haven't read any of the Twilight books and I don't plan to.

I didn't like it at all, it's like Twilight set in fantasy world.
I didn't like it either. The writing is good but style annoyed me to no end, there are glimpses of great ideas but sex is more important to describe. 'Listen' to the main character how much the hot god is hot is more for an Urban Fantasy drivel.

I didn't like it either. The writing is good but style annoyed me to no end, there are glimpses of great ideas but sex is more important to describe. 'Listen' to the main character how much the hot god is hot is more for an Urban Fantasy drivel.
That's why I don't like the first person narrative, authors have too much freedom to pick and choose pretty much whatever they want to write about. And Jemisin used that a lot, what really annoyed me is when potentially interesting situation starts to develop, I guess the author can't bother to write about it so she uses her heroine to all of a sudden remember some stupid thing that she must talk about right that minute. And a potentially interesting part of the book is conveniently forgotten. Also once you have gods that can decimate a big chunk of population what's the point of war or anything else for that matter, imprisoned GODS really? I guess it sounded really good that her heroine is from Amazon-like society, or to have a god that she can have a divine sex with but since not much is explored it came out very shallow, cliched, predictable and quite frankly ridiculous.

Hikerike,

Lois McMaster Bujold writes very good books where sex in the clouds does not constitute a romance.

Hikerike

Owns a Ring of Power
Thanks alot guys!

I saw a couple of good reviews of The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms and the cover looked super cool so thats why i was interested. Still i dont think ill pick it up since you guys didnt find it worthwhile, i have so many other books waiting that seems to be much better. Cant wait for my books to come home :D.

Betik

I checked out Bujolds books, The series thats called Chalions seems to be something cool , thanks!