I like *this* so recommend me.....

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Oh, come now. As if you don't pull your braid when you're irritated!
I actually like the WoT books. I'm just saying, some of the female characters weren't that good. (Plus, my preferred method of expressing irritation is ranting on the internet.)

kaladin

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Hi there!

Been reading fantasy fore some 15 years now and it seems I can't find anything decent anymore! So I'll poke my nose here and see if anyone of you can cheer me up with some recommendations!

Like: Brandon Sanderson, Patric Rothfus, Peter W. Brett, Brent Weeks, Robert Jordan, Robin Hobb, Scott Lynch, Jim Butcher.
Dislike: Tolkien, Erikson, Martin, Guy Gavriel Kay.

I like authors who focus on character depth and storyline with less focus on the quality of language (Tigana, horror example), details etc. It's also positive if the character/s of the books are likable and the author not too simple (simon R green horror example).

Thanks!

Hi there!

Been reading fantasy fore some 15 years now and it seems I can't find anything decent anymore! So I'll poke my nose here and see if anyone of you can cheer me up with some recommendations!

Like: Brandon Sanderson, Patric Rothfus, Peter W. Brett, Brent Weeks, Robert Jordan, Robin Hobb, Scott Lynch, Jim Butcher.

I like authors who focus on character depth and storyline with less focus on the quality of language (Tigana, horror example), details etc. It's also positive if the character/s of the books are likable and the author not too simple (simon R green horror example).

Thanks!
I can't believe Joe Abercrombie's books are not there somewhere. : )
If you haven't read any of his books yet, then it's high time to do it.

kaladin

Hi

Im looking for some new series/book and trust someone here can help me :)

I like witty, charismatic and funny characters (like Matt from Wot or Kvothe from KKC). I also like when the protagonist has a love interest so some romance is highly appreciated. Does not have to be the main point of story though.

I keep looking at the Mistborn trilogy in the local store but for some reason i hesitate. Maybe its because the protagonist is a female (?) Did love Arya from ASoIaF though, I think im just traumatised after robert jordans female characters.

I have read Wot , ASoIaF , The way of kings and just recently the Kingkiller Chronicles.

Thanks
Mistborn is an very good recommendation, as stated previosly. Also I think a book you will really appreciate is The lies of locke Lamore by Scott Lynch.

kaladin

I can't believe Joe Abercrombie's books are not there somewhere. : )
If you haven't read any of his books yet, then it's high time to do it.
Thanks for your recommendation, I have read some books by Abercombie. But somehow I found his books unsatisfying. The "red thread" was somehow random, and the storyline didn't hold. Perhaps I should give some of his new standalones a go!

Hi guys,

do you know any Mystery set in Fantasy world (no Urban Fantasy please)? Thanks.
Vlad Taltos - Steven Brust (it's not outright mystery)
The Death of the Necromancer - Martha Wells
Among Thieves - Douglas Hulick
Joel Rosenberg - - D'Shai
The Wizard's Shadow - Susan Dexter (I know it sounds cheesy)
Daniel Hood - Fanuilh
Dave Duncan - The Alchemist's Apprentice

There is a lot more if you are interested.

Thanks for your recommendation, I have read some books by Abercombie. But somehow I found his books unsatisfying. The "red thread" was somehow random, and the storyline didn't hold. Perhaps I should give some of his new standalones a go!
Have you read anything by Paul Kearney?

At least he's not on the 'Dislike' list. : )
Maybe you'll like the Best Served Cold, it has more meat, but I'm not sure about the story line though.

B81

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
Hi there!

Thanks!
Malazan series?
I personally like the JV Jones' "Sword of shadows" series. It has good characterisation and is especially good at creating atmosphere, so to say.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Malazan series?
I personally like the JV Jones' "Sword of shadows" series. It has good characterisation and is especially good at creating atmosphere, so to say.
I'll try that series again but I couldn't get past the first couple of chapters

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Have you read anything by Paul Kearney?
There's an author I don't hear too much about. Though I've read a lot of his books. If you REALLY like military fantasy, try his Macht trilogy. (One of those funny instances when the second book of a trilogy was probably the best one.) His Monarchies of God series was maybe a little more standard if you don't want quite so much of the military aspect.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I'll try that series again but I couldn't get past the first couple of chapters
Re: Sword of Shadows. I liked the first couple of books. The last one, not as much. It's funny how I go through changes in mood regarding her characters as I have progressed through the series. I like Vaylo Bludd a lot more now than I did at the beginning, and Raif is starting to bore me, for example.

Warning: Jones has a tendency to (1) go into excruciating detail about things that are incidental to the story (e.g. all the myriad ways to survive in the cold) and (2) continue writing chapters about characters with whom nothing is happening at the moment. So Raina's chapters dragged in the next-to-last book, and Raif's did in the latest. Also, she takes a long time between books. Like, GRRM amounts of time. Oh, and (3) *some* of the villains are somewhat one-dimensional. (Mace Blackhail, for example, or the Scarpes.)

Warning 2: Jones had an earlier series. Some of the characters overlap between the two, and I suspect there are some deeper connections that have pretty much only been hinted at, at this point. The earlier series (I forget the name and can't be bothered to look it up at the moment) wasn't as good as Sword of Shadows. And to the point Jones has gotten to in Sword of Shadows, you'll probably understand it without having read the earlier series. I'm sort of hoping for some big reveal/tie-in when she's all done, but it may not happen.

B81

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
For me the 3rd book was weakest. It was draging quite a lot with Rayna's village managing-findind herself storyline. The 4th was an improvement.
But I agree that Raif gets a bit anoying. However, there are other great characters and we have a good storyline and excellent atmosphere.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
For me the 3rd book was weakest. It was draging quite a lot with Rayna's village managing-findind herself storyline. The 4th was an improvement.
But I agree that Raif gets a bit anoying. However, there are other great characters and we have a good storyline and excellent atmosphere.
Yeah, some of the side/minor characters are growing on me. I want to see what happens with Angus Lok, and Effie, and I suppose there are some things about Raif and his background that have been hinted about but not fully explored. And I can definitely feel the anticipation building. So I'm going to keep reading until the end. (I mean, I'm still going to read future Song of Ice and Fire books, too, even though the first 2/3 of A Dance with Dragons was extremely slow and repetitive.)

Vlad Taltos - Steven Brust (it's not outright mystery)
The Death of the Necromancer - Martha Wells
Among Thieves - Douglas Hulick
Joel Rosenberg - - D'Shai
The Wizard's Shadow - Susan Dexter (I know it sounds cheesy)
Daniel Hood - Fanuilh
Dave Duncan - The Alchemist's Apprentice

There is a lot more if you are interested.
Woohoo, thanks a lot. There is more?

Lolth, thanks for your recs. I have never read anything by Carol Berg, I'll definitely check her books out.