I like *this* so recommend me.....

fbones24

Journeyed there and back again
I am currently reading "The Aspect Emperror" trilogy by Bakker. I have come to the realization that he is my absolute favorite fantasy author and his two trilogies surpass everything else in my mind, even ASOIAF.

Anyway, I posted once before on here looking for recommendations based on my love of Bakker, but my admiration of him has been reinforced. What authors are similar to Bakker in their philosophical approach to fantasy. I feel his books are not character driven at all and I kind of enjoy that. His books are driven by his prose and I was wondering what other authors are similar, if any at all?

i love r.a. salavator anything by him but ive gotten away from most the other forgoten realms autors its getting to cliche
lately been reading and likeing a mix of new authors
patrick rothfuss- kingerkiller series
p.s. power young acients series
brock deskins sorcerers path
dw jackson reawakeing saga

any hints on what to get next

Hikerike

Owns a Ring of Power
Hi Idiot_prince welcome to the forum!

Can't say i recognize anything there since im fairly new in the world of fantasy (except Rothfuss wich is one of my favourites) but here's a couple of solid books.

I would recommend anything by Brandon Sanderson. He has several stand alones and a couple of series, to name a few: Elantris a stand alone or Mistborn a trilogy and The way of kings wich is the first book in a ten book long series. Only the first is out. Great world's with awesome magic system and good characters

Joe Abercrombie is also a very good author. He has one trilogy out wich is called The first law trilogy. And then three stand alones set in the same world as the trilogy. Great characters, dark , gritty and often very funny!

João Ribeiro

hi hikerike ive read his mistborn first book and ive got the first law triligoy havent read any of his other works though ill have to give them a look
Hi idiot_prince, and welcome to the forums.

If you've read the first Mistborn then a good direction is to finish the trilogy and, if you like it, you can try the stand-alone "Alloy of Law" which is set in the same universe.

Apart from this, and since you already have the First Law, have a look at George Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, or Robin Hobb's Assassin trilogy. They are both really good.

Oh and don't take this the wrong way, but please spell check before you post. It's so much simpler to read instead of bc for because and all that. I don't know if you are a native speaker or not but if you aren't it's a good way to improve. I'm not so I take the time to spell check. I'm just saying this because in all your posts you actually do this.

Cheers.

lol sry about that yes I’m a native but I’m an okie my speaking kinda translates over to how I spell joao i never even thought about using spell check and I love robin hobb read all his books and been working on martins books off and on their good but a little too stuffy for me sometimes if u know what i mean i will look into alloy of law though haven’t read it

João Ribeiro

lol sry about that yes I’m a native but I’m an okie my speaking kinda translates over to how I spell joao i never even thought about using spell check and I love robin hobb read all his books and been working on martins books off and on their good but a little too stuffy for me sometimes if u know what i mean i will look into alloy of law though haven’t read it
Hi.

I'd advise you to go into Alloy of Law only after you finish the Mistborn trilogy since it happens 300 years after the original trilogy and there are direct references to the trilogy.

About Martin yes I totally understand what you mean with stuffy.

P.S. Robin Hobb is a woman :rolleyes:

Cheers

Derk of Derkholm

Hello Idiot_prince,

welcome to the forum also from my side!
When you say "okie", do you mean a citizen of the fair state of Oklahoma? Or does that mean something else?

What I wanted to ask you is if you are using some kind of mobile device for your posts - that might explain the lack of punctuation.
Makes it a bit hard to read through your posts on the other hand, I have to add here.

Nevertheless, enjoy the forum. I would also advise to first read the second and third book of the "Mistborn" trilogy before moving on to "Alloy of the Law", as there are some references in "Alloy of the Law" that might spoil "Mistborn" for you if you know them in advance. All are great books, however.

Best regards,
Andy

PS: You mention that you have read all of Robin Hobbs books. Does that also include the "Soldier son" series? I have not heard much good feedback about that one, so I have refrained from reading it, so far. Have loved "Farseer", "Lifeship traders" and "Tawny Man", however, am now on "Rain Wild Chronicles".

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
dont read solider's son. it was awful.

Idiot_prince! welcome!

It seems you books full of action, seeing as you love the RF stuff. I'd rec giving the Dresden Files a go, the are about a wizard who battles evil supernatural villians in each book and every single page it feels as though there is constant action. Brent Weeks is another author who is known for the action in his books, The Night Angel series ins't a pg series though, so you might want to watch out for that. The Black Comapany by Glen Cook is also action packed. It's one of my favourite book series. Legend by David Gemmell is also REALLY good, lots of action and it is a stand alone book, so you only have to read a small book before you start on the pother sereis I have mentioned above.

Hope that al helps!!

Antoxx

dont read solider's son. it was awful.

Idiot_prince! welcome!

It seems you books full of action, seeing as you love the RF stuff. I'd rec giving the Dresden Files a go, the are about a wizard who battles evil supernatural villians in each book and every single page it feels as though there is constant action. Brent Weeks is another author who is known for the action in his books, The Night Angel series ins't a pg series though, so you might want to watch out for that. The Black Comapany by Glen Cook is also action packed. It's one of my favourite book series. Legend by David Gemmell is also REALLY good, lots of action and it is a stand alone book, so you only have to read a small book before you start on the pother sereis I have mentioned above.

Hope that al helps!!
Danica could do with a spell checker too! =) Then again, not too sure whether Western Australians are native English speakers though.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Danica could do with a spell checker too! =) Then again, not too sure whether Western Australians are native English speakers though.
That's why she moved to the east coast so she can give them a bad name too =P

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
I spread my bad spelling but awesome recs everywhere i go! I was playing a game in another tab while i wrote that. But let's be honest, I never type correctly even if i am paying attention!

soliders son

Hello Idiot_prince,

welcome to the forum also from my side!
When you say "okie", do you mean a citizen of the fair state of Oklahoma? Or does that mean something else?

What I wanted to ask you is if you are using some kind of mobile device for your posts - that might explain the lack of punctuation.
Makes it a bit hard to read through your posts on the other hand, I have to add here.

Nevertheless, enjoy the forum. I would also advise to first read the second and third book of the "Mistborn" trilogy before moving on to "Alloy of the Law", as there are some references in "Alloy of the Law" that might spoil "Mistborn" for you if you know them in advance. All are great books, however.

Best regards,
Andy

PS: You mention that you have read all of Robin Hobbs books. Does that also include the "Soldier son" series? I have not heard much good feedback about that one, so I have refrained from reading it, so far. Have loved "Farseer", "Lifeship traders" and "Tawny Man", however, am now on "Rain Wild Chronicles".
yes I’ve read the soldiers son series i didn’t like it as well as farseer but i liked it much more than the rain wild chronicles but i would give the whole series a 4 out of 5 it was extremely engaging and the characters really come to life a definite read in my book
and yes I’m from Oklahoma not the best known state for using proper grammar

and i have to say i am very happy with all the feedback i am recieveing thank you all

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wasn't sure where to post this, but has anyone read The Fionavar Tapestry? I was gonna move onto this after WoT, but it looks as though it might be really similar to Thomas Covenant, which I just finished reading recently (well, the first trilogy anyway) - so thought I'd maybe give it a miss for a while. Any advice thankfully received =)
Cheers,
Tom.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Wasn't sure where to post this, but has anyone read The Fionavar Tapestry? I was gonna move onto this after WoT, but it looks as though it might be really similar to Thomas Covenant, which I just finished reading recently (well, the first trilogy anyway) - so thought I'd maybe give it a miss for a while. Any advice thankfully received =)
Cheers,
Tom.
Having read both the Thomas Covenant books and the Fionavar Tapestery, I can say that there is really only one major similarity, and that's that people from *this* world travel to a fantasy world. There's another minor one that I'm thinking of, but I won't say what it is for fear of giving away a spoiler.

The visitors' attitudes about where they are, are completely different (there's a reason Covenant is called "the Unbeliever," after all). Also, there's a pretty heavy Arthurian slant to the Fionavar books. So while there is a conceptual similarity, the feel and tone of the books are rather different. (For what it's worth, I like both Donaldson's and Kay's writing, and find them both to be fairly literary, as fantasy authors go, but they both have distinct styles and voices, nonetheless.)

I've been looking for a book that has a main character or features a lot of Tolkien style elves. I've read the Lotr trilogy and am just beginning the silmarillion. can anyone recommend a book that will give me my elf fix?

Amaryllis

The Fionavar Tapestry and the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant are similar in that it's people from Earth being in a fantasy world, but that is pretty much where any similarities end. And there are a fair amount of 'people from here go elsewhere' books (almost anything by Neil Gaiman, War of the Flowers by Tad Williams, Imajica, Weaveworld and Abarat by Clive Barker, Chronicles of Amber (sorta), and that's just off the top of my head) so that's a pretty tenuous link.

And as to thedavus, what do you mean by 'Tolkien-style elves' in particular? I'm sure there's someone around here who can answer that question as is like it ain't no thang, because they're much more well-read than me, but most elves in fantasy literature these days are based on Tolkien's elves, if they aren't the Christmas kind. I assume you mean something more specific than 'has elves in it.'

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
And as to thedavus, what do you mean by 'Tolkien-style elves' in particular? I'm sure there's someone around here who can answer that question as is like it ain't no thang, because they're much more well-read than me, but most elves in fantasy literature these days are based on Tolkien's elves, if they aren't the Christmas kind. I assume you mean something more specific than 'has elves in it.'
Yeah...if you mean elegant, beautiful people (possibly with pointy ears) who live a long time and have magic and an affinity usually with woods/forests, who use bows and arrows as weapons, and have a sometimes happy and sometimes a little bit fractured or tense relationship with humans, then take your pick. Sometimes they're not *called* "elves" but it usually amounts to the same thing.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Read Dragonlance. They have traditional elves in it. Perhaps start with Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

thanks all, I guess I meant more that I don't want a teen romance kind of book, I don't want wussy elves lol. Now that you mention it though i'm having a hard time thinking of what I meant by Tolkien style elves in the first place lol. But sneaky pretty much summed it up. I think i'm just really afraid of the twilight version of elves which i assume is out there.

Thanks Jon i'll check out the sample from amazon of that book.