I like *this* so recommend me.....

yobtaf

A farm boy with a sword
Well I'm new and signed up here for good fantasy book suggestions...

I love all of Tolkien's works especially the Silmarillion and The Children of Hurin. I also like mythology such as the Legend of the Volsungs and Niblungs, Beowulf etc. Tolkien outlined it really well in one of his letters...something like the distance of myth is really desirable.

Stuff like Harry Potter and A Song of Ice and Fire I found to be interesting and entertaining reads, but they never had the same lasting impact upon me the way Tolkien's works did (but they were still great reads).

So basically, I'm looking for something with somewhat complex interwoven plots shot through with tragedy and heroism. I'm not too much a fan of using magic to fight and magical academies and such. I'd much prefer stories that are an alternate, historical/medieval sort of fantasy with magic pertaining to ancient days/myths...if anyone gets that.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member

I love all of Tolkien's works especially the Silmarillion and The Children of Hurin. I also like mythology such as the Legend of the Volsungs and Niblungs, Beowulf etc. Tolkien outlined it really well in one of his letters...something like the distance of myth is really desirable.

Stuff like Harry Potter and A Song of Ice and Fire I found to be interesting and entertaining reads, but they never had the same lasting impact upon me the way Tolkien's works did (but they were still great reads).

So basically, I'm looking for something with somewhat complex interwoven plots shot through with tragedy and heroism. I'm not too much a fan of using magic to fight and magical academies and such. I'd much prefer stories that are an alternate, historical/medieval sort of fantasy with magic pertaining to ancient days/myths...if anyone gets that.
Gormenghast! You'll love it. Your last paragraph sort of sums it up.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member

Try Troy by David Gemmell, it's a lot different to what you think it might be.

Farseer by Robin Hobb. A bit of heroism a lot of tragedy.

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eventhough I have barely read any of my own Gormenghast copy (I've had it in a TBR pile for a year or so now), I'll also recommend this. The style resembles the one of LotR somewhat.
Of other, I'd recommend The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny (there's an omnibus version). It's no where near as complicated, but written not too long after Tolkiens books. It's has that "old feel" writing style to it. The books are decent enough.

If you want something a lot more mainstream and not as detailed, I personally favor the tales of Gotrek & Felix by William King. There's two omnibus books and there is a crazy amount of background and mythology in the Warhammer universe. Another, somewhat around the same lines, would be the story of Drizzt Do'Urden by RA Salvatore (set in the Forgotten Realms - there's also a crazy amount of mythology in this universe). There's quite a few trilogies out now, and the first 2-3 (chronologically speaking) are actually good, if you can be satisfied by a story driven by the fightscenes.

Lastly, I will recommend something a bit science fantasy like. A year ago or so, Disney released a movie called John Carter (of Mars). This series is actually based on books written by Edgar Rice Burroughs from 1912 to 1964. The books are written in the language resembling their time, but they are very good. When I read the Barsoom series (as the books are called), I couldn't help but see similarities and draw parallels to almost all fantasy books I've ever read. They were truly groundbreaking in the fantasy scene in my opinion. And the first one was written more than a hundred years ago!

What the movie never was, these books are. You can probably find a lot of parallels to LotR in this, like foreign languages, magic, the battle of good vs. evil and so on.

Amaryllis

Journeyed there and back again
The Riddle Master trilogy by Patricia McKillip also has an old sort of feel to it (honestly, most of what she writes is like that).

Hello, I'm in a bit of a need for some new stuff to read, and would appreciate it greatly if some of you could think of something I could try! I'll try to be brief in my post if, I can. :)

I'll start with the stuff I like:

I absolutely loved The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss. I think the two books he has finished so far are probably the best reads I've ever had. I like everything in them, great spellcasting system, plot, world and characters. Romance is usually not something I look for in books very much (though I certainly don't mind it), but I've especially enjoyed following the little love story developing between Denna and Kvothe.

Likeable characters that stay alive for most of the storyline are probably the most important thing for me. I don't mind an occasional central character dying, but I can't stand books where characters are dropping like flies and the story gets sort of passed on to the next one in line.

I liked the Wheel of Time -series, though it definitely had it's weaker moments. Good spellcasting system in there, too. Aes Sedai related stuff really fascinated me a lot, I tend to like magical universities, wizard schools, things like that :p In fact one of my favourite books in the series was the prequel, "New Spring", that centered on Moiraine's and Siuan's time studying inside the White Tower.

Brandon Sanderson's success writing some of the later additions to the WoT -series got me pick up Mistborn, but it didn't sit entirely right with me. I enjoyed the first book a lot, though. Spell system was a lot of fun, it had a solid story with some good characters. Would recommend as a standalone novel anytime.

Sunshine by Robin McKinley. Just a short and sweet story that goes along in a slow, steady pace with an incredibly rich and detailed world around it.

Phantastes: A Faerie Romance by George MacDonald. This is a weird one, I admit, but I like it.

LotR, Silmarillion. I have a slight suspicion I might not have liked Silmarillion quarter as much as I do, had I not been such a LotR geek as a little boy. :)

Some authors and books I've read in the past that have not terribly inspired me, to either love them or hate them: Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Tad Williams, Terry Pratchett, J.V. Jones, Ursula Le Guin.

Dislikes:

Mistborn books 2 and 3: Some characters I liked died, some others that I used to like and were still alive somehow managed to devolve to less interesting and more one-dimensional versions of themselves, later additions to the spell system were no good, etc. And holy hell, the thing they were fighting and that was slowly strangling the life out of the world, it was soo depressing. I just got bummed out whenever I read any further, so I stopped halfway into book 3.

A Song of Ice and Fire. Think I only read the two first books in this series, although it was some time ago. Anyway, I didn't really hate this series too, too much. It was all just too splintered, with tons of different characters/factions making their own plots. I'm just not too into that sort of thing.

I didn't like Malazan Book of the Fallen either, though I stuck with it longer than I probably should have. I have a lot of gripes with this series, but I'll just mention one thing that hasn't come up yet: I really hated the style of prose in this one. I feel like he uses difficult language (just words, specifically) very unnecessarily. I can't see how most of it could possibly contribute to the telling of the story in any meaningful way. It's not poetic, it makes me tongue-tied just reading it in my head :p

Jon Snow

Staff member
You stopped midway through book 3 of Mistborn? huh....

If you don't like EPICs or multiple POVs then I would stay away from The Way of Kings as well.

I would say give these books a try

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (stay away from book 2...at least until book 3 comes out)
Legend by David Gemmell, or if you want something with more flesh then his Troy trilogy.
The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (this story follows 4 main characters..not sure if that is too much for you)
Farseer by Robin Hobb

Antoxx

Elu,

Based on what you've written, I'd suggest Magician by Feist. Would also plug for The Long Price Quartet ny Abraham.

moonr

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
Elu,

A couple ones you might like would be The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan (not very deep but seems to have most of what you like) and maybe something like The Deed of Paksenarion (not too much magic in it but a bit).

These are a lot lighter than WoT.

SuperJudge

Ok so I need some help finding a good trilogy(2 or 4 book series are ok too) to read while I wait for the first law to ship to me. I am just about to finish reading the Mistborn series and I don't get The First Law until the last week of march. I have recently read the Nightangel series, the Malazan series, including the novellas, and A song of Ice and Fire. I prefer high fantasy but will give anything a chance if it sounds good. I also don't want to start a series that is unfinished, unless its going to finish up this year.

Jon Snow

Staff member
Ok so I need some help finding a good trilogy(2 or 4 book series are ok too) to read while I wait for the first law to ship to me. I am just about to finish reading the Mistborn series and I don't get The First Law until the last week of march. I have recently read the Nightangel series, the Malazan series, including the novellas, and A song of Ice and Fire. I prefer high fantasy but will give anything a chance if it sounds good. I also don't want to start a series that is unfinished, unless its going to finish up this year.
I would suggest if you are able to get a hold of all the Dunk and Egg books. They are short stories (3 so far) set about 100 years before A Song of Ice and Fire. Great fun reads.

Sotiris

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
You could try the Long Price Quartet. A great read! You could see the site, for more info.

Belg

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Try Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow, Thorn Series .. its great stuff and highly recomended whtn it comes to High Fantasy

I have been out of this genre for years now (and finally *insert smiley face and fist pump*) have time to delve back into the world of elves, orcs, dwarves, and other mythical creatures.

Drizzt is what got me into this genre, and after being away I decided to re-read all of RA Salvatore's books. (Started this weekend with the Icewind Dale trilogy and already on my 3rd book in 3 days).

Weiss and Hickmans series garnered a lot of my interest as well. Raistlin and Tasslehoff are the only characters I can remember though.

Any reccomendations would be great. I will say I did not care much for Terry Brooks writing style (stopped halfway through the sword of shanara, have never read Robert Jordan, and I am reading the Game of Thrones novels with their respective season on HBO.)

Thanks all!

SuperJudge

Try Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow, Thorn Series .. its great stuff and highly recommended when it comes to High Fantasy
This is one of the ones I was looking at actually but the " Only Simon, a lowly castle scullion" in the description put me off. It made it seem like a typical farm boy discovers he is superman kinda thing, like the Belgariad, not that that's bad thing it's just I have read tons of that sort of thing. Could you compare it to anything? How is Tad Williams writing style?

Some of the other ones I have been looking at are The Black Magician Trilogy, the Kingmaker Kingbreaker series, The Ten Thousand(low fantasy I know), and the Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series.

Has anyone else read the Long Price Quartet? Also is there any good fantasy series involving vikings or Norse mythology?

SuperJudge

One more thing has anyone read the last wish(witcher) series? I have played both of the video games and enjoyed them. I thought the story was pretty cool, but I have heard the tv series was no good and movie was even worse.

Jon Snow

Staff member
This is one of the ones I was looking at actually but the " Only Simon, a lowly castle scullion" in the description put me off. It made it seem like a typical farm boy discovers he is superman kinda thing, like the Belgariad, not that that's bad thing it's just I have read tons of that sort of thing. Could you compare it to anything? How is Tad Williams writing style?

Some of the other ones I have been looking at are The Black Magician Trilogy, the Kingmaker Kingbreaker series, The Ten Thousand(low fantasy I know), and the Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series.

Has anyone else read the Long Price Quartet? Also is there any good fantasy series involving vikings or Norse mythology?
I thought the first two books of Kingdom of Thorn and Bone were really great, among the top in fantasy, but the last two books were a let down.

Antoxx

LPQ is awesome. But don't just take my word for it, Ben rates it number 10 of all time in his top 25 so check out his comments on the main site. I bought mine in the omnibus version and powered through them. Reckon they'll appeal to most people unless you're specifically looking for popcorn full on action fantasy.

Antoxx

I have been out of this genre for years now (and finally *insert smiley face and fist pump*) have time to delve back into the world of elves, orcs, dwarves, and other mythical creatures.
Welcome back. I also was out of the genre for years (20- cough, cough) but back into it with a vengence.

Any reccomendations would be great. I will say I did not care much for Terry Brooks writing style (stopped halfway through the sword of shanara, have never read Robert Jordan, and I am reading the Game of Thrones novels with their respective season on HBO.)

Thanks all!
Hard for me to make any recommendations as I haven't read any of the four authors you've mentioned. I do have Martin's on the shelf, but I've been watching HBO and was thinking I'd wait until entire series was finished before I cracked into them - surely that can't be more than 25 years away! Be interested in how reading them in concert with HBO is working for you.