I like *this* so recommend me.....

Amaryllis

Journeyed there and back again
This is one of the ones I was looking at actually but the " Only Simon, a lowly castle scullion" in the description put me off. It made it seem like a typical farm boy discovers he is superman kinda thing, like the Belgariad, not that that's bad thing it's just I have read tons of that sort of thing. Could you compare it to anything? How is Tad Williams writing style??
Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is a 'Hero's Journey' type of story (like others, it was written before such a thing was heavily scrutinized and discouraged), so if you hate the very idea of that, you probably aren't going to like it. AS a Hero's Journey story, it's probably among the best in semi-modern fantasy. It came out before A Song of Ice and Fire, so it is untouched by the 'fantasy must be GRITTY' idea that has pervaded the genre since then. It's like older WoT without ham-handed female characters. Whether this is good or bad for you depends on what you think of that. I found it refreshing, personally, but I recognize that others may not feel the same way.

As a writer, Tad Williams probably has similar prose to Brandon Sanderson. He's somewhere between Sanderson and Jordan, tending more toward the former. I personally think he's better as a prose writer than Sanderson (I don't mentally second-guess his prose choices while I read), but not with dialogue. Honestly, I find them pretty similar though. As similar as two individual, talented people can be. Understand that I'm not a madcap fantasy reader who devours everything in the genre though, so that is simply the best comparison that comes to mind.

As a side note, if you start the series, the first book takes awhile to pick up. It took me awhile to get through the first half, and then almost no time to get through the second (incidentally, this is exactly how I did Way of Kings as well).

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
I have been out of this genre for years now (and finally *insert smiley face and fist pump*) have time to delve back into the world of elves, orcs, dwarves, and other mythical creatures.

Drizzt is what got me into this genre, and after being away I decided to re-read all of RA Salvatore's books. (Started this weekend with the Icewind Dale trilogy and already on my 3rd book in 3 days).

Weiss and Hickmans series garnered a lot of my interest as well. Raistlin and Tasslehoff are the only characters I can remember though.

Any reccomendations would be great. I will say I did not care much for Terry Brooks writing style (stopped halfway through the sword of shanara, have never read Robert Jordan, and I am reading the Game of Thrones novels with their respective season on HBO.)

Thanks all!
Want to give us a little more to work on. What did you love about the books you liked?

Salvatore's books have a lot of action. Dresden Files by Jim Butcher is great for that.

Mythical creatures - The Magician series by Raymond Feist has mythical creatures.

Want to give us a little more to work on. What did you love about the books you liked?

Salvatore's books have a lot of action. Dresden Files by Jim Butcher is great for that.

Mythical creatures - The Magician series by Raymond Feist has mythical creatures.
The action is of course one of the major parts of both RA Salvatore and Weiss/Hickaman's novels. I also love the lightheartedness that both authors bring to their stories. Example; Tasslehoff Burrfoot, Regis the Halfling, and Bruenors dwarven sense of humor. I have also realized that both stories have main characters with dark pasts. Raistlin the wizard, and Drizzt the dark elf. I guess these would be considered more popcorn-ish fantasy books, but some of the seriousness that Terry Brooks used in The Sword of Shanara didn't catch my interest too much. Hope this helps, and thanks for the reccomendations Danica!

Of course cadderly and danica make up one of my favorite series as well

Sotiris

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
Try the Lies of Locke Lamora. Excellent balance between gritty and humorous. The protagonist is a bold, quick-thinking smart-ass (a dangerous combination for him) and that leads in many funny situations throughout the book. Not to mention the huge gap in depth comparing with Salvatore/Weiss novellas.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
I agree with Locke, and Dresden also fits your loves, it also has magical creatures in almost every book. Dresden is a like a wizard detective! and an awesome series.

SuperJudge

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
Hooray, another Eragon hater! Eragon was so bad I wanted to punch Christopher Paolini's mother in the mouth. If there was a "write fantasy by numbers" book (like paint by numbers)... this is it.
Oh I am glad I decided not to read them now as my roommate suggested. It always seemed like something I would have liked to read.... 15 years ago.

Hi,

new to the forum as I'm in need of a new series.

Been a while since I've tried a new author but due to being very busy at the moment I need something that's going to really grab my attention for the half an hour I might find time to read.

Authors I like include: Trudi Canavan (prefer the Age of Five books to the Black Magician series), Neil Gaiman, Robin Hobb, J.V. Jones, Robert Jordan, Terry Pratchett and Tad Williams.

Any help is much appreciated.

Hikerike

Owns a Ring of Power
Hello and welcome Art Gekko =)
I've only read WoT from the authors you mentioned but i suggest you check out the awesome list's at the front page of this site. Top 25 Best Fantasy Books. There is more lists for the various sub-genres. Otherwise there's always Brandon Sandersons Mistborn a kick ass trilogy or The way of kings wich is the first book in a long epic 10 book series. Only the first is out at the moment. He has also a few Stand alones, like Elantris and Warbreaker. All of them are very good. Otherwise there's also Patrick Rothfuss Name of the wind and Wise mans fear. An unfinished trilogy. My personal favourite tied with The way of kings! If i remember correctly Canavan has a series about assassins. I just recently read Lies of Locke Lamora and loved it! Good plot with solid characters set in pseudo Italian/Venice city wich i absolutely loved!

Or maybe you are looking for something specific, if you mention what you are looking for i.e gritty fantasy, epic fantasy maybe i (or someone else) can be of better help as i've not read those authors you mentioned

B81

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
Hi,

new to the forum as I'm in need of a new series.

Been a while since I've tried a new author but due to being very busy at the moment I need something that's going to really grab my attention for the half an hour I might find time to read.

Authors I like include: Trudi Canavan (prefer the Age of Five books to the Black Magician series), Neil Gaiman, Robin Hobb, J.V. Jones, Robert Jordan, Terry Pratchett and Tad Williams.

Any help is much appreciated.
A song of ice and fire?

Or maybe you are looking for something specific, if you mention what you are looking for i.e gritty fantasy, epic fantasy maybe i (or someone else) can be of better help as i've not read those authors you mentioned
Thanks, the problem is I read a lot of different genres and so have no idea what style of fantasy I prefer :( I might try the Mistborn trilogy as when I've been looking online it seems to get suggested a lot.

EDIT - having looked at the top 25 that you suggested I have read about a third of them so definitely have some good ideas what to spend my Christmas book vouchers on now, thanks :)

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some good fantasy series with a specific protagonist:

someone who starts of as being though of as unimportant, perhaps a farmer or a poor villager but has his flashes of brilliance and later on rises to become a great hero.

Some specifics I'm looking for:

1. Protagonist must be a boy
2. Preferably become a MILITARY hero (tactics wise) instead of some magic wielding 1v10000 badass. I want him to somehow transform from a simple villager to perhaps a great general
3. Romance exists

A great example of what I'm looking for would be the character of Mat Cauthon from The Wheel of Time series. *Possible spoiler summaries*: Simple villager turn military genius: relies on skills and luck, no fancy magic crap. Good romance storyline for himself. The only thing I find lacking is that the book is not tailored towards him specifically. Is there any fantasy book (preferably series) where a character such as Mat is THE main character?

Also please recommend at least decent fantasy series. I don't want to sacrifice horrible plot or writing just for the character alone. Hope someone can recommend me something thanks!

blind_medusa

A farm boy with a sword
i want to read something similar to stormlight archive
story should have multiple threads like stormlight dont suggest ASOIAF , MALAZAN , WHEELE OF TIME ,LORDS OF THE RING.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
i want to read something similar to stormlight archive
story should have multiple threads like stormlight dont suggest ASOIAF , MALAZAN , WHEELE OF TIME ,LORDS OF THE RING.
First Law Trilogy??? Ok so not multiple threads, more like 3 or 4 ... but should tick the boxes!?

Jon Snow

Staff member
First Law Trilogy??? Ok so not multiple threads, more like 3 or 4 ... but should tick the boxes!?
That's probably a good recommendation.

Stormlight is only really from 3 perspectives.

Jon Snow

Staff member
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some good fantasy series with a specific protagonist:

someone who starts of as being though of as unimportant, perhaps a farmer or a poor villager but has his flashes of brilliance and later on rises to become a great hero.

Some specifics I'm looking for:

1. Protagonist must be a boy
2. Preferably become a MILITARY hero (tactics wise) instead of some magic wielding 1v10000 badass. I want him to somehow transform from a simple villager to perhaps a great general
3. Romance exists

A great example of what I'm looking for would be the character of Mat Cauthon from The Wheel of Time series. *Possible spoiler summaries*: Simple villager turn military genius: relies on skills and luck, no fancy magic crap. Good romance storyline for himself. The only thing I find lacking is that the book is not tailored towards him specifically. Is there any fantasy book (preferably series) where a character such as Mat is THE main character?

Also please recommend at least decent fantasy series. I don't want to sacrifice horrible plot or writing just for the character alone. Hope someone can recommend me something thanks!
I'm probably going too literal but perhaps

Review: Shadow Ops – Fortress Frontier by Myke Cole | Best Fantasy Books Blog