I like *this* so recommend me.....

fbones24

Journeyed there and back again
If you like Bakker, Prince of Thorns might just be up your alley. Bother feature an anti-hero main character and a pretty dark storyline. Prince of Thorns has some interesting philosophical insights (through Jorg's internal monologue) into the nature of man, though not as deep as Bakker's work.
Thanks. You know, i just glanced at Assassins Apprentice as i had purchased it a while back. I know it does not fit into my usual fantasy, but I have to admit, after 50 pages, i might be hooked.

I may stick with Farseer for now and revisit POT after.

Antoxx

Thanks. You know, i just glanced at Assassins Apprentice as i had purchased it a while back. I know it does not fit into my usual fantasy, but I have to admit, after 50 pages, i might be hooked.

Farseer Trilogy is my second favourite series and Hobb's characterisation is some of the best there is. Be prepared for a roller coaster of emotions though

fbones24

Farseer Trilogy is my second favourite series and Hobb's characterisation is some of the best there is. Be prepared for a roller coaster of emotions though
I'm ready! I read about 50 more pages and I am really enjoying this. It is a change up for me, but I can see this really sucking me in.

“If on a Winter’s Night a Traveler...” by Italo Calvino might not be classical fantasy, but it's very interesting in its structure and meta-fiction. Is there anything similar to it, with a fantasy/sf twist?

Riposte

Philosophizes with Kellhus
recommendation here
“If on a Winter’s Night a Traveler...” by Italo Calvino might not be classical fantasy, but it's very interesting in its structure and meta-fiction. Is there anything similar to it, with a fantasy/sf twist?
It is hard to recommend a book based on Traveler because there are so many different ways that book can appeal to different readers. I'll throw a few recommendations out there anyway.

City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff Vandermeer - This book is basically four novellas interlinked to tell a larger story. I don't want to spoil anything but the final story throws a wrench in your perception of the fantasy world he has laid out in the preceding stories. I must say as a warning, there is a fair bit of horror in these stories. He is an author who also plays around with 2nd person pov like Calvino does in Traveler, but I don''t think he does that in this book.

Arc d'X by Steve Erickson - A strange journey of loosely connected stories. I guess I put this recommendation here because it is both well-written and it is a bit "meta" as the author writes himself into the story.

Christopher Priest, Gene Wolfe, M. John Harrison, John Crowley, Caitlin Kiernan (Red Tree and Drowning Girl) and Iain M. Banks (Use of Weapons) are some other authors who come to mind that are stylists and can create novels that are almost like a puzzle box.

I would definitely advise reading samples before taking the leap and buying any of the above mentioned books. Many of the authors tend to produce a love it/hate it kind of reaction.

bobo

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Hi, new to the forums here, although I've read my fair share of fantasy. Was looking for new suggestions and googling some of my fav books let to the main site which prompted me to join the forums :)

Ok, so I tend to favor books with simpler character driven plots with more action rather than the complex style trend that ASOIAF seem to have started. Don't get me wrong, I've read ASOIAF like any true fantasy reader should, but I seem to be partial towards "lite" fantasy. I've read and enjoyed all of Brandon Sanderson's works (Mistborn, TWoK, Elantris, Warbreaker, Alloy of Law). Even ordered Rithmatist and eagerly waiting for it to arrive. Enjoyed The Warded Man, The Name of the Wind and their sequels. Liked the Night Angel Trilogy, Lightbringer and Codex Alera (also following the Dresden Files, but I don't really want to consider urban fantasy here). And Lies of Lock Lamora and The First Law were great as well.

Books that I found I had trouble with aside from ASOIAF (all the politicking just did'nt interest me, but I've read all save for Dance with Dragons) are: Malazan (tried the first 2 books and all I can say is that I'm L-O-S-T), Sword of Shadows (plot moved along too slow although I still read the first 3 books) and Prince of Nothing. Recently I was recommended The Long Price Quartet by a friend which is also highly listed on this site, but it just did'nt grab me (maybe there was'nt enough action? Still, I read the first 2 books). Also, it is noteworthy for me to add that I started reading very late. So when I tried backtracking and reading older series like WoT (only first 2 books), Earthsea, Magician, Belgariad (only first 2 books) and even LOTR, I found them kinda dull and lacking in comparison.

Appreciate any advise on the following books that I've shortlisted that caught my interest from browsing the list and forums:
  1. Daniel Abraham's new The Dragon's Path series - I'm willing to give him a second shot, since I liked Leviathan Wakes (but lets limit the discussion to fantasy and not scifi). So is The Dragon's Path more "action packed"?
  2. Similarly, I see alot of recommendations for The Farseer Trilogy on this site. However, doing some research, I see some reviews pointing out that it can be quite dull with nothing much going on. Would this series suit me?
  3. Tigana. Have'nt tried any of Guy Gavriel Kay's books. Is his writing easy to get in to?
  4. Any other books that you might suggest?
Thanks,
bobo

Antoxx

Hi, new to the forums here, although I've read my fair share of fantasy. Was looking for new suggestions and googling some of my fav books let to the main site which prompted me to join the forums :)

Ok, so I tend to favor books with simpler character driven plots with more action rather than the complex style trend that ASOIAF seem to have started. Don't get me wrong, I've read ASOIAF like any true fantasy reader should, but I seem to be partial towards "lite" fantasy. I've read and enjoyed all of Brandon Sanderson's works (Mistborn, TWoK, Elantris, Warbreaker, Alloy of Law). Even ordered Rithmatist and eagerly waiting for it to arrive. Enjoyed The Warded Man, The Name of the Wind and their sequels. Liked the Night Angel Trilogy, Lightbringer and Codex Alera (also following the Dresden Files, but I don't really want to consider urban fantasy here). And Lies of Lock Lamora and The First Law were great as well.

Books that I found I had trouble with aside from ASOIAF (all the politicking just did'nt interest me, but I've read all save for Dance with Dragons) are: Malazan (tried the first 2 books and all I can say is that I'm L-O-S-T), Sword of Shadows (plot moved along too slow although I still read the first 3 books) and Prince of Nothing. Recently I was recommended The Long Price Quartet by a friend which is also highly listed on this site, but it just did'nt grab me (maybe there was'nt enough action? Still, I read the first 2 books). Also, it is noteworthy for me to add that I started reading very late. So when I tried backtracking and reading older series like WoT (only first 2 books), Earthsea, Magician, Belgariad (only first 2 books) and even LOTR, I found them kinda dull and lacking in comparison.

Appreciate any advise on the following books that I've shortlisted that caught my interest from browsing the list and forums:
  1. Daniel Abraham's new The Dragon's Path series - I'm willing to give him a second shot, since I liked Leviathan Wakes (but lets limit the discussion to fantasy and not scifi). So is The Dragon's Path more "action packed"?
  2. Similarly, I see alot of recommendations for The Farseer Trilogy on this site. However, doing some research, I see some reviews pointing out that it can be quite dull with nothing much going on. Would this series suit me?
  3. Tigana. Have'nt tried any of Guy Gavriel Kay's books. Is his writing easy to get in to?
  4. Any other books that you might suggest?
Thanks,
bobo
Based on what you've said I'd suggest Best Served by Abercrombie seeings how you like his writing and The Broken Empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence (based on your liking for Weeks). Tigana I found very easy to get into, not heavy and is a standalone so you'll get a good feel for his writimg without having to invest too much time but it does have it's detractors here, I think because they might find it a bit dull, so hard to say if it's for you. I certainly didn't find Hobbs' Farswee trilogy anywhere near dull and it ranks in my top 3 but you might want to treat that recommendation with caution as I rate MBotF number 1 and LotR and Long Price Quartet somewhere near my top 5! Hopefully my earlier comments are of some use. Welcome to the Boards by the way, good to have you on board.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Glen Cook's Black company follows one main character and there is plenty of action. Some people find her style of writing difficult to get into, but i did not.

Tigana will probably bore you and the writing is very flowery and poetic.

The Assassini trilogy by Jon Courtnay Grimwood is not bad. I would say pretty close to Weeks' Night Angel trilogy in terms of style and 'goodness'. It is more on the light enjoyment side of fantasy, and if you liked the night Angel trilogy I think you might like this too.

That is a fair few books. Hope you like them!!

Oh and Welcome bobo

bobo

@ Antoxx
Yeah, will definitedly read the rest of Abercrombie's works. Will take your comments on Tigana and Farseer into consideration. And thanks for recommending The Broken Empire. Have'nt heard of Mark Lawrence before but from a quick read of the summary & reviews, sound just what I was looking for.

bobo

@ Danica
Was hesitant to try Black Company as people often liken it to Malazan. But since you mentioned it mainly follows one POV, might give it a try. The Assassini trilogy sounds interesting and will look into it. Thanks.

Antoxx

Glen Cook's Black company follows one main character and there is plenty of action. Some people find her style of writing difficult to get into, but i did not.
I think you'll find Glen Cook is a "him". :)
Tigana will probably bore you and the writing is very flowery and poetic.
I just don't get why people say Tigana is flowery and poetic. Maybe I should read it again with that in mind.

Antoxx

@ Danica
Was hesitant to try Black Company as people often liken it to Malazan. But since you mentioned it mainly follows one POV, might give it a try. The Assassini trilogy sounds interesting and will look into it. Thanks.
I don't think of Black Company as being like Malazan. It influenced Erikson and certainly has the whole miliatary aspect to it, but I wouldn't write it off just because you mightn't have liked Malazan. Black Company is a good read but was written in the 80's so it might also fall into the "older series" you spoke about in your original post. It certainly does have some food things going for it though.

Sandman

Has been in the eye of the world

The farseer Trilogy is an excellent series. The best of the many series she has written imo. Enjoy

Sandman

Ok, so I tend to favor books with simpler character driven plots with more action rather than the complex style trend that ASOIAF seem to have started.

Any other books that you might suggest?
Thanks,

bobo
Welcome to the boards bobo.

A lighter series you may like is The Theft of Swords series by Michael Sullivan. The series revolves around 2 main characters and there is nothing "heavy" about it yet I found it to be a good, fun, enjoyable read. I read all 6 books in 11 days.

Another possibility is the Prince of Thorns which focuses on a young teenage boy who leads a group of murderers and thieves, etc.

A few YA fantasy series:

The Lightning Thief and The Heroes of Olympus by Rick Riordan. These books center on the children of Greek and Roman mythology

The Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima is an excellent read and her "Heir" series is also really good.

Good luck

Sandman

I've read and enjoyed all of Brandon Sanderson's works (Mistborn, TWoK, Elantris, Warbreaker, Alloy of Law). Even ordered Rithmatist and eagerly waiting for it to arrive.
bobo
Oh yeah, anything by Sanderson is great. If you have not already then you should try Legion. It is an enjoyable short, quick, and "lite" read.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Based on what you've said I'd suggest Best Served by Abercrombie seeings how you like his writing and The Broken Empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence (based on your liking for Weeks). Tigana I found very easy to get into, not heavy and is a standalone so you'll get a good feel for his writimg without having to invest too much time but it does have it's detractors here, I think because they might find it a bit dull, so hard to say if it's for you. I certainly didn't find Hobbs' Farswee trilogy anywhere near dull and it ranks in my top 3 but you might want to treat that recommendation with caution as I rate MBotF number 1 and LotR and Long Price Quartet somewhere near my top 5! Hopefully my earlier comments are of some use. Welcome to the Boards by the way, good to have you on board.
Hey bobo .. Yeah I'd second Best Served Cold, I'm currently 1/4 into it and it's great. If you liked First Law you won't be disappointed. I also really liked Farseer, although felt the last book was a bit weak, but a brilliant trilogy nonetheless. Maybe you could try War of The Flowers by Tad Williams ... It's set in a 'fairy' world, which I thought I'd hate, but it's a pretty good story, and it's a standalone (albeit a pretty long one) so shouldn't take up too much of your time. And maybe Talion Revenant by Michael Stackpole - another standalone but a really good story - plus it's cheap (in the UK anyway), only £2.50 in kindle store .. kinda depends whether you have a kindle though :-/